Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

CPAP mask straps are loose and no longer keep the mask on my face
CPAP mask straps are loose and no longer keep the mask on my face
Hi everyone,
My CPAP mask straps are loose now and no longer hold the mask on my face. The nasal pillows keep falling off when I put the mask on. Does this mean that the whole mask needs to be replaced? Or just the straps? I see some generic straps on ebay but they aren't made for nasal pillow masks, only for those that have the triangular piece over the mouth. Where can I get new masks straps? I don't see how you can remove the straps without tearing them off too. Any advice? What do you do when this happens?

I also tried tying the straps into a knot to make them shorter so they wrap tighter around my head. That does work and does keep the mask on my face longer. But I'm not sure how long that will last or if this is a long term solution. 

What are you supposed to do? Is this supposed to happen regularly? I thought the straps were good quality and would last longer. How long do mask straps usually last?

Also I am in Asia now so I need to find a way to replace them from a source that ships internationally.

Thanks.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: CPAP mask straps are loose and no longer keep the mask on my face
I get new head gear (straps) every six months. The elastic wears out.
I only give suggestions from experience as a fellow CPAP user, not professional advice.
Post Reply Post Reply
If you or someone you could ask for help from sews, then you can easily shorten the straps on a sewing machine. My husband uses a chin strap and I have frequently shortened the straps for him. It can definitely extend the life of your straps.
Machine:  ResMed AirCurve 10 Vauto
Mask:  Bleep DreamPort Sleep Solution
Post Reply Post Reply
WWu777;
    The headgear (straps) for resmed P10 are available from Supplier 10 for $29.00 brand new !!
If You want to replace them ..
     Steve
Post Reply Post Reply
How do you all usually get new straps for your mask? From your supplier? What about the ones on ebay? 

Also how do you get the straps off? Do you tear them off? I don't see any way to unbutton them without breaking them. Thanks.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-02-2023, 07:58 AM)WWu777 Wrote: How do you all usually get new straps for your mask? From your supplier? What about the ones on ebay? 

Also how do you get the straps off? Do you tear them off? I don't see any way to unbutton them without breaking them. Thanks.

All my supplies come from one supplier.  For many years I got them through online orders.  I now use a local supplier (DME) who will also ship them to me with no charge.

EBay can be a source.  Find the head gear that matches your mask to get the proper strapping apparatus (head gear).  Net Search:   CPAP supplies     and several sites will appear where you can find the model names and numbers of the gear you need, then choose a supplier, or find a local supplier.  A local supplier may have a listing as medical equipment supplies, not just cpap supplies.

Suppliers (DMEs) will also file insurance claims for cpap supplies.

The Resmed AirFit 10 set of straps comes off the head by releasing two loops from pegs at the mask.  Another has magnets that release the straps from the mask.  All head gear I've had is removed from the mask by velcro connections.
I only give suggestions from experience as a fellow CPAP user, not professional advice.
Post Reply Post Reply
Notice that this user does not live in the USA! dealing with replacement parts in other countries can be difficult. He explains this in his post.
Post Reply Post Reply
you could try taking a "tuck" in the strap---like folding it back on itself in an "s" shape and then securing the tuck with a safety pin.  I did this and it worked out well.  I covered the safety pin with a layer or two of painters tape for protection in case the safety pin started to undo---this also smoothed out the "tuck.. The thought was: that if I could get the right reduction in the length, I might even cut the straps and sew them in place (shorter).  But I never got that far and I now use the headgear with safety pin(s) as a back-up headgear and it works well as a back-up.

Headgear is really difficult to get "right" and once you get it just "right" you don't want to adjust it ---at least I don't.  So it is useful to have 2 sets of headgear --one a little looser than the other for different cushions or circumstances.  Once you start putting safety pins in ---which I also do when the velcro starts to fail, the headgear is really difficult to adjust.
Post Reply Post Reply
One of our cpap friends washed his head gear in extremely hot water, and said they shrunk so he could continue to use them. I haven't tried this.

What I've found in years of use is:
* masks are much better! Seal better!
* masks and headgear don't last as long as I would like now. I wish they would last forever.
* could be counterfeit masks, mask copies, out now.

These are my results, and may be my fault. But that's after 35 years of cpap use.
DaveL
compliant for 35 years /// Still trying!

I'm just a cpap user like you. I don't give medical advice. Seek the advice of a physician before seeking treatment for medical conditions including sleep apnea. Sleep-well

http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php..._The_Guide

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How do you know when to replace a mask? Lanners 1 82 03-26-2024, 10:52 PM
Last Post: Phaleronic
  AirFit F30i Mask Problem OldTeacher 22 4,557 03-23-2024, 03:23 PM
Last Post: ButtonNoseBarbie
  How can I rectify skin breakage from nasal mask? evenflow 2 97 03-20-2024, 10:18 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  Fixed mask leak, but flow limit seems to be increasing AHI emile.leplattenier 3 139 03-19-2024, 11:00 AM
Last Post: staceyburke
  Prescription for specific mask types? Slycer 2 119 03-17-2024, 09:34 PM
Last Post: Slycer
  Full Face Mask Recommendations for Minimal Bounce with Pressure Support Unkikonki 15 511 03-14-2024, 03:00 PM
Last Post: RLRoth
  Large Increase in AHI with F20 Mask David milt 3 150 03-13-2024, 07:15 PM
Last Post: HalfAsleep

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.