Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Self-titrating BiPAP for OSA/UARS w/ hypermobility
Self-titrating BiPAP for OSA/UARS w/ hypermobility
Hi, 

Attached is my Oscar data. Currently only have compliance for an hour or so, will update w/ more data as soon as I can. Currently set with default IPR/EPR: 4-10 cm^2

My sleep study (which was conducted very poorly, no real seal achieved) - shows optimal CPAP pressure of 7.0. 

Could anyone help diagnose what settings might help improve my AHI?  I have hypermobility and lax/weak ligaments in my neck so tossing and turning all night long, never finding a comfortable position. Also will continue to update with a Lofta sleep study soon.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Self-titrating BiPAP for OSA/UARS w/ hypermobility
Let's change things up a bit, your settings are awful.
Mode Vauto
EPAP min 5.0
Max Pressure 12.0
PS 4.0

You are using a fixed pressure mode with EPAP 4, IPAP 10 and a resulting pressure support of 6.0. This has left you vulnerable to unstable respiration and high obstructive apnea index due to inability to respond to obstruction with higher EPAP. There may also be a positional element to the OA events. These revised settings will be more appropriate to your therapy and allow us to narrow down the issues.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Ok, so tried the settings that you've recommended @Sleeprider with a full-face mask. However, I'm really struggling to fall asleep with the full-face mask on, main complaint is dealing with a lot of bruxism. Though that may be potentially due to a combination of both sleep apnea and anxiety.

Some good news though, achieved both great compliance and a lower AHI with a nasal mask! Honestly did  not feel particularly well-rested but hoping benefits will become apparent with time. 

Still several things left to try: 

First things first, try VAuto mode with the nasal mask Tongue 
Tongue-retaining device (tongue on the roof of mouth seems to improve nasal breathing, but almost impossible to achieve due to my narrow palate)
Cervical collar 
Thin occlusal hard mouthguard for bruxism (Dentist made me one that was way too thick, almost felt like it encouraged mouth-breathing, looking for any recommendations for material/brand/lab)

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
Your latest results show a significant improvement, so you're on the right path. I think with PS 6 a full face mask will bounce around a lot on pressure transitions. If you can tame the leaks, you should be very close to perfection. Sometimes a collar will put enough pressure on the jaw to encourage a better position that helps keep the tongue at the top of the palate. I use the Airfit P10 nasal pillows, and as an example of learning air pressure control, I can sip water through a straw and talk while using the pressure. As you become more experienced, your ability to control air pressure will also increase.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  BiPAP Pressure for Possible UARS bertchintus 20 955 10 hours ago
Last Post: SingleH
  Therapy Help - Possible UARS - REM jkossis 8 165 Yesterday, 02:09 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Sad [Treatment] Struggling to treat UARS with BIPAP Humancyclone7 0 65 Yesterday, 12:05 PM
Last Post: Humancyclone7
  New BiPAP user with UARS(?) tk2234 23 624 03-24-2024, 08:11 PM
Last Post: tk2234
  [Pressure] Bipap settings help? UARS and not sure what I'm doing Christina5818 6 197 03-23-2024, 02:52 PM
Last Post: Christina5818
  Catathrenia +/- UARS: Bilevel or ASV or other? empiricismandstatistics 0 80 03-21-2024, 04:37 AM
Last Post: empiricismandstatistics
  UARS diagnosis? No improvements on CPAP. What Bilevel machine to get and where? empiricismandstatistics 8 199 03-21-2024, 04:29 AM
Last Post: empiricismandstatistics

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.