Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] new AirCurve 10 does not give enough humidity
new AirCurve 10 does not give enough humidity
I have bought new AirCurve 10 VAuto BiLevel with HumidAir. I have specifically selected this model, because it has large water chamber (380 ml).

My old CPAP machine was DeVilbiss IntelliPAP, and it also had a relatively big water chamber. I have always had the humidity set on max. I need as much humidity as possible, because I breath through my mouth. Even with this large container, the DeVilbiss used up so much water, I had to fill it up at least twice per night. I guess, I might have used 500ml - 1000ml of water per night.

Now with this new AirCurve 10, even when I set Humidity at max, I get almost no humidity. It only uses up 150ml for the whole night ! The water container is more than half full in the morning.

I wake up throughout the night, with absolutely dry mouth and throat. It is so bad, that I cannot use this machine. I have to use my old DeVilbiss, which is already very old, and does not work properly.

The humidity setting on the AirCurve 10 is clearly insufficient. With the old DeVilbiss, when I touched the heating pad (which heats the water chamber), it was so hot, I couldn't keep my fingers there. But when I touch the heating pad on the AirCurve, its not even hot. It's just little bit warm.

I cannot understand why the AirCurve limits the heat. I suspect, this is by design.

Is this known problem?
Did other people notice this?

It looks like I will have to buy another CPAP machine. Are there any that have large water chamber, and allow setting the humidity high?

People who also breath through your mouth, which CPAP machine do you use?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: new AirCurve 10 does not give enough humidity
Are you sure that your machine is not defective? The best course of action is to contact your DME/Vendor to verify operation and calibrate the heater function.
Since you are in Switzerland, could it be related to an altitude issue? Attachments are available that provide a modified water chamber and external water source to increase capacity, such as those available from Sleeplay.
"The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." -- Marcus Aurelius
Post Reply Post Reply
thank you, but I only see the standard water chamber at sleeplay.com:

https://sleeplay.com/collections/cpap-hu...hamber-tub

what attachment did you mean?

Also, I see you are using ResMed Airsense. How good is your humidifier ?
Post Reply Post Reply
Besides the humidity number of 1-8, there's a setting of auto and manual. Try the manual humidity mode to get some more humidity output. It still might not be enough, but worth a try.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
try this,
https://cspring.store/collections/csprin...3554229492
Post Reply Post Reply
The previous link was truncated and led to the CSpring MK2 Automatic CPAP Water Chamber Replenishing System. Car54 nailed it.
I use the automatic setting and have experienced only a few problems on cold, dry winter days.
"The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." -- Marcus Aurelius
Post Reply Post Reply
Smile 
I use manual temperature control humidity setting 6, tube temperature 27C. I put thermal insulation on the tube, but there is an uncovered portion about 10 cm long before the mask. I can see condensation in this portion at room temperature 18. Hence, I get pretty moisture-saturated air. 

My heating plate can be pretty hot.

Water consumption depends on the mask type because of the different "designed leak rates." My nasal mask has a shallow leak rate, and the water consumption decreases accordingly.
You might want to try a mask with a lower leak rate.
The water evaporates faster at higher elevations, so you have the Swiss advantage.  Smile
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-09-2024, 09:24 AM)G. Szabo Wrote: You might want to try a mask with a lower leak rate.
You might want to try a mask with a lower leak rate.
Post Reply Post Reply
Do you run a heated hose? Do you use a hose cover? What is your room temperature? What is the room humidity? We keep our bedrooms cool in the winter 60 to 65*F (15.5 to 18.3*C) After we put the hose covers we noticed the AirCurve 10 Vauto used more water each night. In the summertime when humidity is usually less than 25%RH we are lucky to make it through the night on a tank of water, On really dry days with Humidity 12 to 18%RH we run a room humidifier to make it through the night. I suspect altitude would make a slight difference. House plants help to keep humidity up.

Our tank measure 87*F (30.5*C) after about a half hour of warming, the heat plate also measured 87*F. warm not hot to the touch.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Equipment] AirCurve 10 with side cover making noise melbell 2 81 Yesterday, 02:32 AM
Last Post: srlevine1
Question [Pressure] Intermittent leaks on my AirCurve 10 Daniel5584 2 90 04-26-2024, 11:31 PM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  New ResMed AirCurve 10 VAuto - Oscar Chart Raven87 21 466 04-26-2024, 10:03 PM
Last Post: Raven87
  Help with new AirCurve 10 VAuto Settings aubreyjs 16 461 04-26-2024, 09:10 AM
Last Post: aubreyjs
  [Equipment] Bag for Aircurve 10 without humidifier? melbell 3 188 04-20-2024, 02:07 AM
Last Post: melbell
  Does Aircurve 10 Vauto record events and flow limits during ramp mode? SingleH 3 136 04-19-2024, 09:12 AM
Last Post: SingleH
Smile Alan's New ResMed AirCurve 10 Vauto Came Today! Deborah K. 20 1,088 04-14-2024, 08:15 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.