Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

CPAP "pauses" intermittently
Angry 
CPAP "pauses" intermittently
My previous machine was a Respironics REMstar Auto 550P. It worked well for about 4 years and then started shutting down for a minute-or-so and then resuming. At first I tolerated it but finally got a newer model. I never found out what was going on. I would like to keep it at my daughter's home for times I visit but it still has the same symptoms.
It runs well for about 10 minutes, then shuts down for a minute, then runs for 5 minutes and shuts down again. This repeats until I give up. I thought it might be related to the "auto-off" setting but is not turned on. It also seemed to me the power supply was running rather hot. I thought someone else might have experienced this.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: CPAP "pauses" intermittently
I’m guessing the machine is near the end of its lifespan.  How many hours does it have on it?

If you think it’s worth to keep as a backup, you could check into getting an estimate for repair.
Check out Supplier #27 and Supplier #28.  My gut feeling it wouldn’t be cost effective to repair.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the reply. As I recall I had the previous machine for a little over 3 years and was told they normally did not replace a machine until after 4 years. I have looked at my current machine, a newer model, and see nothing that tells me how many total hours it has. However, I am just about at the 4 year anniversary of the newer machine and it has not had symptoms like the previous one. Thanks for the leads to the two repair services; I might see how expensive it would be to try to fix. If 4 years really is the magic number I may be getting a new machine fairly soon. Then I current use the current one as my one at my daughter's.
If I do get a new machine I might check with the repair services to see if they would want the older one. I am a believer in recycling and would suspect a repaired machine at a lower price my be a godsend for someone.
Post Reply Post Reply
Speaking of recycling, you can probably by a "like-new" machine on Offerup or Craigslist that someone else doesn't want for less than the cost of repair. I'm very partial to using Resmed Airsense 10 Autoset or Aircurve 10 Vauto machines after using Respironics for the first 6 years of therapy. The response and comfort are just better. If you can find the price you want, don't hesitate to get a second reliable machine as a backup or even an improvement.

For future reference, a machine is normally replaced after 5 years, but if the owner's machine has failed, a replacement is usually covered by insurance. There is no good reason your DME should not have offered to submit a claim on your behalf for repair or replacement of a failed machine.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I just found that my machine has 13,210 hours of use.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have a machine from the same series. BiPAP Pro (Model 650P) that broke down in the same way you describe. That was several years ago. I save it in case I need spare parts, but that series of machines is pretty old now. I wouldn't waste any money trying to repair it.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I'd guess that intermittent unit is about done. Over 13K hours with a hot power brick. Probably not worth fixing up IMO.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Update. That 13,000 hour number came from my current machine. I checked the previous machine and it was 11,000. I guess that means I am living on borrowed time with my current machine.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-09-2019, 12:48 PM)DISleepApnea Wrote: Update. That 13,000 hour number came from my current machine. I checked the previous machine and it was 11,000. I guess that means I am living on borrowed time with my current machine.

The typical life of a machine is 15,000 hours or 5 years but that’s just typical if your machine is playing up see your DME for a replacement or look out for a new machine if you self fund
Post Reply Post Reply
I need to clarify. The machine that is giving me issues was a previous machine that started this after almost 3 years of usage (11,000+ hours). It was replaced by the DME, though they had to give me the current one instead of the newer DreamStation because they had not yet received them. So, I can't submit a claim on this one. I was hoping there was a solution that would allow me use it at my daughter's house instead of having to pack up my current machine.

I may check into cost of repairs to see whether that is worth it.

I hope this clarifies the situation.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Are my breaths normal? Long pauses, jagged lines. Nathan Graves 5 977 07-23-2023, 06:04 AM
Last Post: car54
  [Equipment] Air flow pauses or 'pops' for fraction of a second CPAPuser604 3 616 04-10-2023, 02:34 PM
Last Post: CPAPuser604
  dreamstation losing pressure intermittently odoyle 11 2,739 01-30-2020, 12:28 PM
Last Post: odoyle
  Remstar Auto A-flex intermittently cutting off babydoss 13 7,588 03-18-2015, 02:17 PM
Last Post: Sleepster
  [CPAP] ResMed Elite s8 shuts off intermittently JCaesar 3 4,811 09-15-2013, 10:31 AM
Last Post: trish6hundred

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.