Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] pwnorris - Advice for Central Apnea Therapy
RE: pwnorris - Advice for Central Apnea Therapy
(08-19-2023, 11:24 PM)pwnorris Wrote: I don't suppose you have any technique for safely increasing blood CO2 levels 
Actually, exercise will increase blood CO2 levels..... but I don't imagine that you want to exercise while sleeping!

Now, if the preceding video didn't present respiratory regulation in it's complexities and you want more detailed information on the relationship between blood gases and respiration, I'd suggest this video:
Blood Gasses

Will probably provide more information than you want, but is useful background.

Note that in Respiratory Failure Type 1, the Pa02 is NOT inversely related to PaCO2.  (@4:21 in the video)

Also note that supplemental 02 is discussed (at 2:51 in the video) with some interesting comparison related to the delivery method.  (how you bleed 02 into your cpapmask and mixes with the flow of air (@21%) generated by the cpap)

The whole subject of CENTRAL sleep apnea is fraught with medical complexities. That is why I asked above if your medical professional has diagnosed you with central sleep apnea.

Your OSCAR posts clearly indicate that you have clear airway apneas BUT that alone does not mean that you have central apnea.

Note also that: 
Quote: Moreover, some people hold their breath or under breathe when they are stressed or anxious, which can cause hypoventilation .

Try to breath easy.....
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: pwnorris - Advice for Central Apnea Therapy
(08-20-2023, 10:34 AM)dataq1 Wrote: Actually, exercise will increase blood CO2 levels..... but I don't imagine that you want to exercise while sleeping!
Note that in Respiratory Failure Type 1, the Pa02 is NOT inversely related to PaCO2.  (@4:21 in the video)
The whole subject of CENTRAL sleep apnea is fraught with medical complexities. That is why I asked above if your medical professional has diagnosed you with central sleep apnea.

Again, interesting information. Thanks!

Given the episodes of repeated low oxygen which may manifest while I'm awake - in bed but not active, and that they may last for several hours - in conjunction with clear airways, getting up and "exercising" - or at least moving around - may not be as crazy as it sounds. If I knew I could solve the problem with 20 minutes of moving around and therefore normalize the CO2 levels I'd be happy to try.

An item that was interesting was the part on Respiratory Alkalosis. The speaker mentions that while hyperventilation causes low PaCO2, it is generally with high PaO2. My respiration rate can be high, and often precedes the CAs. I have the sense that sometimes I stop breathing, even during the day. I guess the solution is capnography, but that seems to be only possible in a clinical setting.

I had my first follow up study in January after being diagnosed in 2017 with severe sleep apnea, but the clinic that performed the study still hasn't contacted me about the results after 7 months. They are particularly bad and have a lousy rating. I live in Ontario, Canada so don't have much choice about clinic. Ontario's state funded health care can be very good, but sometimes not so much. Not if you want to find out quickly anyway.

All that to say, I haven't been diagnosed with Central Sleep Apnea - or at least - not yet. It may be OA but if it is, it's very sporadic. I can sleep in precisely the same position during the same sleep session, and for 2 or 3 hours I have the CAs at frequent intervals, then sleep soundly for the rest of the night.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Advice on CA Sackman101 6 92 2 hours ago
Last Post: Sackman101
  Little Olive - Therapy Adventure Little Olive 80 1,840 9 hours ago
Last Post: UnicornRider
  Dalemazkour - Therapy Help Dalemazkour 30 641 10 hours ago
Last Post: Dalemazkour
Question [CPAP] Are these events Central or Obstructive Apneas? vHungry 5 83 11 hours ago
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  Therapy Beginner Help papercupprincess 7 204 Yesterday, 12:17 PM
Last Post: staceyburke
  Central Sleeping Apnea treatment ivan007 21 878 Yesterday, 02:57 AM
Last Post: stevew168
  [CPAP] Therapy help rekaviv 10 420 04-27-2024, 10:19 AM
Last Post: rekaviv

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.