Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

CPAP sinus blaster....
CPAP sinus blaster....
Pretty much every online CPAP stores sell vapor based products, that claim to clear the airway, including sinuses. Sounds great on the surface, but do they actually work?

If they do work, what impact it may have on the CPAP machine and other equipment?

TIA...
"Life is dream, awakening is death..."
- Chinese proverb
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: CPAP sinus blaster....
From what I can tell, these things are just essential oils. You can do this yourself and save your money. Just choose your favorite oil/scent and put it on a cotton ball and place outside the machine near the filter.
AFAIK, this method has no effect on your machine. The fragrance may linger even when the cotton ball is removed, but that should be eliminated after a few sleep cycles.
Needless to say, never put anything other than water in your humidifier reservoir. That could cause problems.
My get-up-and-go musta got up and went.  Cool

Download OSCAR for your sleep data.  
https://www.sleepfiles.com/OSCAR

Post Reply Post Reply
I have a pint size bottle of eucalyptus oil, but it didn't seem like a good idea to place the cotton ball front of the filter.

Logically thinking, introducing various oils at the intake side of CPAP machine could result in deposits internally, that may impact operation and/or increase noise level. The oils would also make their way in the humidifier and subsequently to the hose and all the way to lungs.

On the other hand, putting the oil directly in to the humidifier would not pass through the CPAP machine. CPAP supplies after the machine are cleaned on the daily and/or weekly basis, effectively preventing oil residue buildups.

As stated, this is just thinking logically; I have nothing to back it up either ways. Nor was it intended as a contradiction/argument, just trying to see the best way for adding eucalyptus oil to my treatment.
- Chinese proverb
Post Reply Post Reply
I do know essential oils degrade rubber like seals, not sure what else though. You could just make your own vicks vapor rub, I do. Just get glass jar with coconut oil and add drops off eucalyptus and peppermint oils. Not sure the exact exact ratio. Like 10 drops of each per 1/2 cup of coconut oil. Or just get a diffuser for the room.
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm a fan of essential oils, so this topic is something I've given much thought to.

As much as I do love essential oils, I don't think it's wise to inhale them with every single breath for my entire night of sleep. My worry is my lungs.

I'm also concerned about the EOs degrading the materials in my humidifier, tube, and mask.

So I've decided to put it on a cotton ball outside my CPAP air intake. Quite often the scent is too strong for me, even with just one drop of EO. (So then I move the cotton ball an inch or so away from the intake, which helps.) And that leads me to think that it might be too strong inside the humidifier too.

Ultimately, my main concern is my lungs.

And if you really believe essential oils work (as I do), you could apply the EO topically (to the bottom of your foot, on your wrist, or on your chest) and your body will absorb and use it.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-25-2020, 08:24 PM)Hydrangea Wrote: I'm a fan of essential oils, so this topic is something I've given much thought to.

As much as I do love essential oils, I don't think it's wise to inhale them with every single breath for my entire night of sleep.  My worry is my lungs.

I'm also concerned about the EOs degrading the materials in my humidifier, tube, and mask.

So I've decided to put it on a cotton ball outside my CPAP air intake.  Quite often the scent is too strong for me, even with just one drop of EO.  (So then I move the cotton ball an inch or so away from the intake, which helps.) And that leads me to think that it might be too strong inside the humidifier too.

Ultimately, my main concern is my lungs.

And if you really believe essential oils work (as I do), you could apply the EO topically (to the bottom of your foot, on your wrist, or on your chest) and your body will absorb and use it.

That pretty much answers my questions and all of my concerns , thanks Hydrangea...

In my case, I just use vapor EO in my home office for an hour or so, prior to going to sleep. I'll try peppermint, lemon Eucalyptus and levender oils later, maybe a mixture of all of them.
- Chinese proverb
Post Reply Post Reply
Great! I'm happy my experience was of help.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Sinus issues with CPAP Luka07 9 186 03-26-2024, 09:28 AM
Last Post: Luka07
  Sinus issues during therapy befoulmetalroosa 1 343 11-17-2023, 08:04 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  Sinus infection / recovering from surgery rpierce 0 349 08-24-2023, 12:18 PM
Last Post: rpierce
  Humidity and Sinus Infection Columbiabill 2 591 06-04-2023, 03:03 PM
Last Post: gainerfull
  New user with sinus headaches SnoNoMo 6 906 04-20-2023, 12:18 AM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  Constant sinus headache getzall 3 557 02-20-2023, 11:53 AM
Last Post: getzall
  [CPAP] Nasal/sinus issue stargazing 30 2,827 12-23-2022, 11:51 PM
Last Post: stargazing

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.