Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

CPAP sleep vs "normal" sleep.
CPAP sleep vs "normal" sleep.
I was wondering if CPAP could benefit somebody that does not have sleep apnea and otherwise sleeps normally? Does everybody have some form of snoring/flow limitation, and if so would it theoretically make sense that EVERYBODY can benefit from CPAP? Regardless of OSA?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: CPAP sleep vs "normal" sleep.
I would think that nearly everyone has some form of flow limitations at some point throughout the night. That said, I'm not sure if there would be a measurable benefit from CPAP.

In theory one could say there would be a benefit, but it would need to be weighed against whatever trauma a person experiences from just wearing the mask and trying to adapt to CPAP.

John
Post Reply Post Reply
it might be the only solution for snoring that actually works, but in the US at least, insurers won't cover it so few people, including doctors think of it. many would say $1000 usd to get set up is more pain than snoring but bed partners likely disagree.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hmm that makes sense. Would you say that getting rid of all snoring even if there is no OSA present benefit sleep quality?
Post Reply Post Reply
my wife says her sleep has improved since I'm not snoring much anymore.

they say snoring by itself isn't harmful to the snorer but I really don't believe that. just listen sometime. even without apnea snorer's snort, gasp, toss &turn, rouse, etc. at the very least, it certainly doesn't contribute to sound refreshing sleep.
Post Reply Post Reply
One thing that CPAP Therapy has done for me, is to stop snoring. My wife is grateful. 

Other than that, not much has changed in how well I feel.
Post Reply Post Reply
All members of my family that snore report poor sleep quality. I do think the cost is enough to keep many people from not doing this, as insurance won't approve issuing for snore reduction.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-13-2020, 01:07 PM)Sleepgains Wrote: I was wondering if CPAP could benefit somebody that does not have sleep apnea and otherwise sleeps normally?

What do you mean by not having sleep apnea? The definition currently in use is a AHI under 5.

Almost any benefit is possible for an individual, but statistically speaking the medical profession does not see the benefit of CPAP therapy for anyone with a AHI under 5.

I can see how an individual who snores could benefit from CPAP therapy, but that is not the consensus of the medical profession. As the use of CPAP therapy expands, the consensus of the medical profession.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
So would you say that having CPAP is an advantage over not having it?
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What's the best home sleep test currently on the market? Lucky7 3 105 8 minutes ago
Last Post: Lucky7
  I need sleep badly! Any help with OSCAR is appreciated Quitethe1 75 1,705 1 hour ago
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Apnea has gotten worse recently, I have no sleep study, can I just buy a cpcp? replayablecontent 12 238 Yesterday, 12:38 PM
Last Post: replayablecontent
Question [Diagnosis] Home Sleep Study Results & Feedback togapilot 6 532 03-26-2024, 02:36 PM
Last Post: togapilot
  Which is the most normal waveform? SingleH 9 211 03-26-2024, 12:40 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Go2sleep Wearable Sleep Tracking Ring ivan007 0 63 03-26-2024, 11:29 AM
Last Post: ivan007
  Help Interpreting Charts to ID Potential Palatal Prolapse - Deep Sleep Issue reedro287 5 102 03-26-2024, 08:39 AM
Last Post: G. Szabo

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.