Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

CPAP trial - Improvements but exhausted still
CPAP trial - Improvements but exhausted still
Hello folks, after quite a long wait between my study and trial availability (March to September) I've finally been able to start a CPAP trial. Originally the study showed mild OSA with an AHI of 7.8. But that coupled with ADHD left me with poor executive function, so my doctor recommended pursuing the trial. Machine availability was a big issue so I ended up with the ResMed 10 for her model, otherwise I'd still be waiting for the trial to start. 

Anyways, I started early September with the machine and it took a few weeks before I was able to regularly get over 4 hours of sleep or more with the mask on (F&P Brevida nasal pillow mask). I get some leaking here and there but doesn't seem too bad. And overall the result is pretty good - the tech I was working with to get the machine dialed in commented that above 10 I seemed to be waking up, and I commented that at 6 I seemed to be fighting the machine, but otherwise I think I'm tolerating the therapy quite well. With a pressure range of 7-10, humidity on 4 and temp at 21 all seems well. 

The biggest problem is how exhausted I am all the time. It's actually worse than it was before, previously I'd describe it more as unmotivated vs. outright exhaustion. I figured it would be quite the opposite. It's difficult to even get out of bed in the morning, even after 8 or 9 hours of sleep that both the ResMed app and Garmin Connect (Instinct 2 smartwatch) told me I got a great night. 

So far this morning I fell back asleep after my wife left for work, forced myself out of bed, had a coffee and a yogurt, washed up and got ready for the day (I work from home). I usually have a light breakfast and lunch and get out for a walk midday, taper off the caffeine after lunch, no pop or anything sugary for the most part, no alcohol, and try to hit my steps each day. I've even managed to lose a little over 7 pounds since starting CPAP (and was just borderline overweight to begin with) and my general anxiety/nervousness is noticeably less. I'm ready to go back to bed. 

I really am at a bit of a loss so hoping there might be some indication as to what is going on here, the OSCAR results look good but I'm no expert at reading these. I could maybe try upping the max pressure to 10.5 as it seems to get cut off once in a while but also I appear to have the odd CA when the pressure is elevated (maybe CO2 washout?). Maybe up the min pressure as well as I still feel like I'm pulling through the machine a bit on the low end. I excluded last nights' results as I had a few drinks with friends at dinner at it was CA city the first half hour of sleep, but if that continues in a few more days I'll include those as well.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: CPAP trial - Improvements but exhausted still
You have some pretty big leak spikes. Try to fix the leak first, and report back. 

Would be helpful if you zoomed in on one of the spikes and looked at the breathing right after it.
Post Reply Post Reply
You are doing very well, nothing really going on. The thing to focus on now is sleep quality. 

A few observations...

1. Unless it is essential for you, turn off ramp if you are using it.
2. Based on the flow limits and pressure changes, try setting

Min = 8
Max = 20
EPR = 3

That will do a few things like clear up some of the flow limits which are driving pressure increases. Don't worry too much about the max pressure as it will only increase if needed and using more EPR will likely resolve a lot of the pressure changes.

3. There may be some mouth breathing or mask movement causing the leaks, but they are not excessive. You can consider picking up a soft cervical collar to try which should help with it.

Really good job with the charts! Take a look at the links in my .sig for more info on how to format things.

Give the above a try for a few days and let us know how things go.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-02-2023, 11:35 AM)PeaceLoveAndPizza Wrote: You are doing very well, nothing really going on. The thing to focus on now is sleep quality. 

A few observations...

1. Unless it is essential for you, turn off ramp if you are using it.
2. Based on the flow limits and pressure changes, try setting

Min = 8
Max = 20
EPR = 3

That will do a few things like clear up some of the flow limits which are driving pressure increases. Don't worry too much about the max pressure as it will only increase if needed and using more EPR will likely resolve a lot of the pressure changes.

3. There may be some mouth breathing or mask movement causing the leaks, but they are not excessive. You can consider picking up a soft cervical collar to try which should help with it.

Really good job with the charts! Take a look at the links in my .sig for more info on how to format things.

Give the above a try for a few days and let us know how things go.

Thank you! I've updated the min/max/EPR to the suggested values. 

I had originally turned off the autoramp feature and just set it manually to 15 minutes, should I just turn it off altogether? 

Also, this is the "for Her" model and the mode is set to "Autoset for Her". Should I change that to CPAP or Autoset?
Post Reply Post Reply
I have the Resmed AirSense 10 Autoset for Her.  I got better results when I switched to the Autoset mode.  Try it.  If you don't like it you can always change back.
Machine:  ResMed AirCurve 10 Vauto
Mask:  Bleep DreamPort Sleep Solution
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-02-2023, 12:39 PM)Deborah K. Wrote: I have the Resmed AirSense 10 Autoset for Her.  I got better results when I switched to the Autoset mode.  Try it.  If you don't like it you can always change back.

Thank you! I've made that change as well. I have a few more days on this trial before the machine goes back so fingers crossed these settings help a little.
Post Reply Post Reply
Whether you turn off ramp or not is up to you. It’s a comfort feature, but it is not supplying enough pressure for your therapy so you may have events during the ramp time that could be handled with more pressure.

If you feel you need it by all means use it…
Post Reply Post Reply
If you look at the "spiky" leaks you'll see spikes on top the flow rate graph. I'm betting you'd see "arousal" breathing if you zoomed in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8R4fAG-QyEo
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question Oscar Help - Analysis after 3 Weeks, Improvements! ef8mk 12 613 04-16-2024, 11:46 AM
Last Post: Dormeo
Sad [Pressure] Using BiPap Resmed Aircurve 10, still exhausted, good O2 Levels LordofKings 14 412 04-02-2024, 11:33 AM
Last Post: LordofKings
  Low AHI, Brain Fog, Exhausted Help Please alwaystired17 3 307 03-29-2024, 02:55 PM
Last Post: Old Steve
  Can someone take a look at my OSCAR results? 3-4 weeks of CPAP & still improvements senseisaitama 5 265 03-24-2024, 10:43 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  UARS diagnosis? No improvements on CPAP. What Bilevel machine to get and where? empiricismandstatistics 8 295 03-21-2024, 04:29 AM
Last Post: empiricismandstatistics
  APAP Trial - First Night's Results - Interpretation? Juicy 9 4,265 03-04-2024, 09:34 AM
Last Post: colethegamer
  New user - Tired despite improvements with CPAP GuyIncognito 11 786 01-15-2024, 06:06 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.