Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

CPAP versus APAP
RE: CPAP versus APAP
(12-02-2012, 12:41 PM)SuperSleeper Wrote: Now, with the advent of improved data-capable APAPs, along with PC software, many patients see no need for regular overnight sleep studies at all (other than their initial diagnostic study).... the old standard of "get a sleep study every 5 years" (for mainly titration purposes) is being taken over by patients armed with an APAP and PC software who can manage their own titration with these useful tools.

Again, I don't mean to argue that a good CPAP is better than a APAP. I will say, though, that in many cases this can also be accomplished with a good CPAP.

It's really the advent of data-capable machines that's driving the change in treatment culture.

And one more thing, often patients are deprived of proper medical care. Either they don't have the insurance or other means to pay for it, or the healthcare professionals available to them are ignorant of what data-capable machines have to offer. They are still operating in the dark ages where sleep studies are used for titration and dumb CPAP's are used for treatment. Well-informed patients with a data-capable CPAP, BiPAP or APAP can make their own adjustments to their pressure, assuming they suffer from simple OSA and there are no complicating factors.

I'm not advocating doing away with proper medical care. But when that care is simply insufficient I am advocating that patients extend it and that we take some responsibility for our own care.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Most health care professionals (mainly doctors) are just that: professional. If folks are lucky enough to get a quality professional sleep doctor to help with their treatment, that's fantastic.

I'll say that the following is my personal opinion, so take it for just that: opinion.

I do however thing that patients are at times ignorantly deceived by brick-and-mortar DMEs who have a pleasant demeanor and a seemingly helpful attitude.

Most DMEs are experts at one major thing: selling CPAP equipment and making profits. If you think those who run DMEs are in it for "the greater human good", you're living in a world of make-believe where magic gift-giving fairies pop out of the rear-ends of happy unicorns. Bigwink

Yeah, I know... your DME is different and is loving, kind, benevolent, generous and helpful and would never think of putting profits above the patient's best interests. Uh huh, okay. Rolleyes Too-funny I gotta bridge I want to sell you, too. Cool

Of course, the DME isn't going to tell you the truth, because you'd go running away from them at top speed if you knew the truth. They're going to do all they can to make you believe they're not in it for the money and that they're only interested in helping you.

Too many of us have been scammed by DMEs in the past to believe anything other than the truth. But heck, go ahead and trust your DME completely without checking for yourself. It's your money and it's your health, so you can do as you wish, of course.

Or, you can "take the red pill" of reality and refuse to be manipulated by people who have a vested financial interest in deceiving you in order to maximize profit. I've been getting emails from patients by the ton since Apnea Board started in 2004 and have heard horror stories from thousands of patients who've been swindled or lied to by a DME.

Like Archangle's tagline says, "If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself." That's about as an accurate recommendation as I could give to any CPAP user. Do your own due-diligence, get educated and know what's going on with these DMEs - that's the only way to maximize your health care dollar and avoid being taken advantage of.

Again, just my personal opinion based upon my experiences. Your mileage may vary. Big Grin

SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
Super, It seems to me that the get yourself educated and due-diligence you're talking about occurs right here on Apnea Board where the misinformation and/or lies sometimes heard from DMEs is fully exposed and explored. That, plus the treatment help members can offer one another is what gives this board value, IMO. The folks who don't learn about the system and don't ask others for their feedback on things they hear from their DME or docs are the ones who suffer the consequences.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-02-2012, 08:48 PM)Dawei Wrote: The folks who don't learn about the system and don't ask others for their feedback on things they hear from their DME or docs are the ones who suffer the consequences.

Yep, I agree, good point Dawei. And the more informed patients become, the more "accountable" the providers will become because they realize they can't "pull one over" on informed patients. Coffee

SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Issues with APAP WWYD FlyingUmbrella683 1 89 03-22-2024, 07:21 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  New APAP machine: Lowenstein Prisma Smart Max Robert Detz 10 373 03-21-2024, 07:58 AM
Last Post: WisNaeMe
  [Health] RESMED APAP tuning sleeper2460 10 577 03-18-2024, 08:43 AM
Last Post: sleeper2460
  APAP optimization assistance jayed53 9 440 03-14-2024, 03:13 PM
Last Post: jayed53
  srwilsn3's therapy thread | APAP -> BiPAP srwilsn3 34 1,424 03-14-2024, 02:23 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  Help optimizing APAP SomeUser 8 1,152 03-12-2024, 03:51 AM
Last Post: SomeUser
  APAP->Bi-level Titrating sleepymf 8 590 03-11-2024, 07:25 PM
Last Post: sleepymf

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.