Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

CPAP vs APAP
CPAP vs APAP
Hey peeps. 
I guess with my last thread I didn't get my question conveyed properly. Haha

So, my 1minth sleep trial I did CPAP @5-7cm on icon premo
Now have autoset for her and doc wrote the above CPAP but also gave me APAP for 5-14cm
And if I'm correct, this am I wake up and it says  pressure 11.3. So I'm guessing this is my avg required for the nite?  

So, I guess I'm curious as to after my study,I was given CPAP to a max of 7. But on APAP Iv required 11.3?? 
Wondering why discrepancy on max of 7, but seemingly I require More ?

Here's what manual says about pressure, as I've read there's a difference between 95% percentile and something 

Thanks all
Phats

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: CPAP vs APAP
G'day Phatkid77

I think I understand what you're getting at, but please correct me if I've misinterpreted you.

- After your sleep test you were given a trial machine (F&P Icon Premo) with fixed pressure setting of 7 cm H2O.
- You've now been supplied a Resmed Airsense 10 Autoset For Her with variable pressure range of 5 - 14 cm H2O.
- The pressure showing on the screen of your new machine is 11.3

I confess I haven't read your previous thread, so I am surmising a bit here...

In my view, the best way to settle on an optimum pressure range is to use an auto-titrating machine like the Autoset for a period of time and adjust pressures to give you the lowest AHI with the best comfort. A single CPAP pressure determined after a single night sleep test can in no way be considered "the" definitive pressure, even though that is the way the industry likes to work.

Consider this - you're sleeping in a strange bed, in a strange environment, with 19 different probes and electrodes attached to your body. You're probably feeling nervous and you know there is a TV camera watching you all night. Now, just sleep normally... They're kidding, but they don't seem to realise it.

So having been through this process, somebody decided a pressure of 7 was "the" pressure for you. After a month, then getting you onto a machine with auto-titration and Bingo! that machine says you need a different 95% pressure. (Remember the 95% means you were at or below that pressure for 95% of the night). You'll probably have a slightly different 95% pressure tomorrow night and a different one again the night after that. This is the reason I strongly recommend autoset machines - they adjust as needed during the night to cope with whatever happens during the night. Sleep on your back instead of your side? - The machine will sense precursors and raise your pressure. Tuck your chin, restricting the airway? - the machine will adjust. Have a great night with no events? - the machine will run at a lower pressure.

Now having said all that, some people do respond better to a fixed pressure. Your machine can provide that if necessary.

I hope I've made that clear enough, and sorry for the rambling reply.
Post Reply Post Reply
Phatkid77,
You have an AutoSet for Her which you can use as a Cpap, Apap, or the "For Her" setting.

If the machine was not set up to what the prescription stated, go into the Clinicians menu and set it up properly.  If you need the Clinicians manual, order it here:
http://www.apneaboard.com/adjust-cpap-pr...tup-manual

It seems to me your doctor wanted it set on the Auto setting of 5cm minimum and 14 max.

It's hard to answer your questions without seeing some data, as we would just be quessing.

Download the #SleepyHead software and start looking at your numbers.  From there, you can determine what your 95% pressure reading is.  

The 95% pressure means you were at "or below" that number for 95% of the night.  Note the "or below".

Your pressure needs will vary each night, so using the Auto mode and looking at SleepyHead will help you determine where your setting should be.

Once you have #SleepyHead downloaded, follow the tutorials in my signature line to organize the graphs, and then use Imgur to post a screenshot here.  Someone will take a look and be able to better advise.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks guys. 
And yeah deep breathing you nailed it on what I was asking... 
and maybe even cleared up the 11.3. It's not an avg just the highest I went.  So most of the nite I May have been 7,9 of whatever

When I get time to wanna throw my laptop (I'm impatient) I'll download sleepy head. 

Thanks again.  Phats

Side note.... when I turn the machine off I get a blast of scented air??  Smells really nice.  Lol. Not sure what that's about.  
Bells and whistles "for her" machine
Post Reply Post Reply
Now that you have your machine you should update your profile to reflect your current machine and settings. If you go to User CP in the upper right corner of the page there will be an edit profile option on the left sidebar. Couldn't say about the nice smelling air maybe it's a new feature.Smile

Dave
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-14-2017, 06:32 AM)Phatkid77 Wrote: Hey peeps. 
I guess with my last thread I didn't get my question conveyed properly. Haha

In that thread you stated that you saw that the machine's pressure was set to 12-14, but you changed it to 5-14 because that's what it's supposed to be. How do you know that's what it's supposed to be?

Quote:So, my 1minth sleep trial I did CPAP @5-7cm on icon premo

Meaning it was set to a pressure range of 5 to 7?

Quote:Now have autoset for her and doc wrote the above CPAP but also gave me APAP for 5-14cm

What do you mean by "doc wrote the above CPAP"? What exactly did the doc write, and where did he write it?
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
G'day Sleepster. I'm guessing that Phatkid77 meant the following...

phatkid77 Wrote:
Sleepster Wrote:So, my 1minth sleep trial I did CPAP @5-7cm on icon premo
Meaning it was set to a pressure range of 5 to 7?

The Premo is a fixed pressure machine, like a Resmed Elite. So it was probably set at some fixed pressure which was varied between 5 and 7cm (presumably by an RT or DME).

phatdid77 Wrote:
Sleepster Wrote:Now have autoset for her and doc wrote the above CPAP but also gave me APAP for 5-14cm
What do you mean by "doc wrote the above CPAP"? What exactly did the doc write, and where did he write it?

The doctor prescribed a pressure of 5 - 7, ie he "wrote" a prescription. He presumably wrote it on a prescription pad or form. The same doctor has now prescribed APAP with a pressure range of 5 - 14.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Issues with APAP WWYD FlyingUmbrella683 1 86 03-22-2024, 07:21 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  New APAP machine: Lowenstein Prisma Smart Max Robert Detz 10 361 03-21-2024, 07:58 AM
Last Post: WisNaeMe
  [Health] RESMED APAP tuning sleeper2460 10 553 03-18-2024, 08:43 AM
Last Post: sleeper2460
  APAP optimization assistance jayed53 9 425 03-14-2024, 03:13 PM
Last Post: jayed53
  srwilsn3's therapy thread | APAP -> BiPAP srwilsn3 34 1,410 03-14-2024, 02:23 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  Help optimizing APAP SomeUser 8 1,147 03-12-2024, 03:51 AM
Last Post: SomeUser
  APAP->Bi-level Titrating sleepymf 8 584 03-11-2024, 07:25 PM
Last Post: sleepymf

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.