Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

CPAP vs. Ventilator - Difference?
Money 
CPAP vs. Ventilator - Difference?
Rolleyes
As Covid-19 progresses, I am reminded of something my sleep doctor said. This was 5-10 years ago, when I received a new CPAP machine. This was a Resmed VPAP Auto, which I have retained as backup. The doctor said that this unit can be setup  as a ventilator. I didn't pay much attention to the statement at the time, but now the statement keeps coming to mind. I am hoping that some of the experts will know the answer. It is hard to imagine that a lower-price machine like this can perform like one costing $10K or more. One obvious void might be appropriate adjustment controls and information displays. When oxygen is needed, is this injected through the mask or the machine? I'm referring to situations where a tracheotomy is not required.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: CPAP vs. Ventilator - Difference?
We've been discussing these issues for about a week now in this thread:

http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...-pneumonia
SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: CPAP vs. Ventilator - Difference?
Just for argument and discussion's sake, the ResMed VPAP Auto isn't the low level straight CPAP, it would be closely related to the AirCurve 10 VAuto. This is a bilevel machine that can run at higher pressures than the CPAP, and it has PS. Generically, these attributes are found in the ventilators as well. Remember, I mean this only as generically speaking.

Some of the CPAP class, as in those with script code HCPCS E0471 include my ASV, the VAuto, ST, and ST-A, and the ResMed Stellar. Besides the Stellar, the other machines can go up to a pressure of 30 cm02 as I recall. The Stellar can hit 50, and I regard it as a bridge device between CPAP classed devices and the ventilator/NIV class. FWIW that Stellar has built-in battery run capability.

Crossing over to ventilator/NIV ResMed has the Astral in 100 and 150 models. The 150 has a few aspects the 100 does not, these being it includes 2 extra run modes and can run as a double limb configuration. Double limb is a method of having air complete a circuit from machine to patient via a mask and back to the machine via a 2nd hose. It also can run a single leak circuit like CPAP. The Astrals hit 60 cm02, and like the Stellar, can run via battery.

The Stellar and Astral machines have a dedicated oxygen port on the back of the unit. Any of the CPAP class machines require you to get an accessory method of injecting oxygen, such as the ClimateLine Air hose with oxygen bib at the machine elbow end. All machines can mix the oxygen into the air stream to have oxygen enriched air flowing in the hose and terminating at your mask.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Aircurve 10 ST-A and Lumis 150 VPAP ST-A just a UK branding difference? SingleH 37 2,239 03-18-2024, 07:51 AM
Last Post: SingleH
  Difference between S-Mode and VAUTO mode - Aircurve MrIvanDrago 3 249 02-27-2024, 02:28 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Question Difference between Vauto and S modes PeaceLoveAndPizza 9 1,059 02-20-2024, 09:27 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  I cannot fall asleep with my bipap/home ventilator. Hypoglossal nerve stimulator? Jay51 220 14,591 01-17-2024, 11:02 AM
Last Post: Jay51
  Difference in Machines SufiMindtricks 8 596 11-26-2023, 11:59 AM
Last Post: HappySailor
  Being overweight - make a big difference? p123 6 1,828 11-03-2023, 04:41 PM
Last Post: Cpapian
  Hose [size difference] Johnboy 10 3,787 09-22-2023, 12:58 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.