Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Camping solutions!
Camping solutions!
Hi there,

I am an avid tent camper and it’s my first season with my CPAP. I am embarking on my first trip soon. I have a battery that with humidity and heated tube off I will get two nights—this trip is three. 

What solutions have you found are simplest for recharging your battery when camping? 

I tried to get an RV site with electricity but couldn’t. We won’t be spending hours driving in between days where I can just charge off the car. I’ve thought about solar panels that I can hang off my backpack while hiking but I don’t understand anything about electricity wattage, etc. 

Would I be able to get more nights on my battery if I had a travel CPAP.

I am looking for simplicity rather than huge cost savings. I would rather invest in a solution. 

Any advice?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Camping solutions!
(07-27-2019, 11:32 PM)DarciWantsToSleep Wrote: I have a battery that with humidity and heated tube off I will get two nights—this trip is three. 

What solutions have you found are simplest for recharging your battery when camping? 

You could use a small solar panel, but an extra battery would be even better.

Or you bring your own battery charger and ask if the campgrounds will allow you to use their electric outlet during the day to charge your battery. Since it's needed for a medical device they may be more inclined to accommodate.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks. I’ll try asking for a charge (for this trip anyway)!  It’s a state park so who knows...

Any idea what “size” solar panel I’d need?
Post Reply Post Reply
The battery type that I got (a 300W ROCKPALS Power Station) stated that if you use a 100W solar panel, you could get it charged in about 8-9 hours.  Less W on the solar panel and it's going to take longer.  I figured that wasn't too bad, considering a normal 110V wall charger and 12V car charger recharged in about 6-7 hours.  Depending upon the battery and it's size, the solar panel might vary, but I have a 100W solar panel in my Amazon list for future pickup, in the event I don't have the luxury of driving in and out of the mountains for family activities with the van.

--j
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm sure this solution is covered in depth, but the rig I've invested in (and it's an investment) is dragging along my DreamStation, regular hose, turn off the humidifier.  Currently powered by a single BPS Freedom battery, although I have a second one in the mail.  Can get a couple nights in the summertime on the single battery, but less than a full night when it's cold (around freezing).  In very cold weather, I run the hose up through my sleeping bag to take a bit of the chill off, although that's also akin to running an air-conditioner inside your sleeping bag... Huhsign   So far, am reliant on finding an outlet for recharging for extended outings.  BPS advertises a 50W Solar panel that can recharge a single battery in 4 hours in optimal light.  Very interested in giving that a try.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Angry AirTouch N20 - digs into cheek - any solutions? Lilaq88 2 609 03-26-2024, 03:16 PM
Last Post: Valtor
  [Treatment] Clear airway / central apnea events -- causes and solutions? mitzvahtime 6 2,399 03-25-2024, 04:10 PM
Last Post: Jay51
  Lowenstein Prisma 20A - how can I work out energy usage for camping? JamesD0079 4 626 02-15-2024, 04:16 PM
Last Post: JamesD0079
  Camping with CPAP - any tips? SuperSleeper 43 7,630 10-16-2023, 07:08 PM
Last Post: Hintertux
  Creative solutions if you don't have a night stand? rpierce 6 632 08-28-2023, 06:51 AM
Last Post: dataq1
  [Equipment] CPAP and Camping Dogberto 2 571 07-16-2023, 05:41 PM
Last Post: Dogberto
  Chipmunk cheeks solutions SystemF 2 1,030 07-13-2023, 02:42 AM
Last Post: barney999

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.