Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Can I get a free oximeter somehow?
Can I get a free oximeter somehow?
This is driving me nuts. While I am waiting for my machine, I really want to know what the hell my O2 is dropping to. 

They said mid 80s in sleep study but I didn't even reach REM, so it must be even lower. 

And since I didn't actually complete the tritation, I wonder if I will (or should) be getting an oximeter anyway, especially since this will basically be a self tritation I will be doing. (No pressure has been determined because I never went to sleep during the titration).

Is it alright to call the doctor and ask for one? Like is it free with a prescription? Will they say nah you don't need it?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Can I get a free oximeter somehow?
Oximeters are really inexpensive on ebay...
Post Reply Post Reply
But you need to be sure it's a recording oximeter and some of the sellers may list a sneap one as
a recording oximeter and ship a non recording one like happened to me.  I never even went to the 
trouble or returning the $ 12 hunk of junk,
Post Reply Post Reply
Broomstick,
You can ask your doctor, but it isn’t a prescription item and normally wouldn’t be covered under insurance.  He/she may be able to hook you up for a few nights to check your levels.
It doesn’t hurt to ask.

If you purchase one, then check Supplier #19, as they are very reputable.  Be sure you are purchasing an overnight recording oximeter.  

I’m sure folk here can give you recommendations on which one works best with #SleepyHead.

Also check Amazon prices.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Understood. I forgot to mention that I'm the cheapest gentleman in North America and that I'm not currently working.

I was looking at eBay but I didn't want to buy something that I thought I might be getting anyway, or could get for free somehow. It's also something I don't see myself using more than a few times. But it looks like I should just go ahead and order it.

Edit: I wish there was a library for things that I can rent then bring back. I don't want to have to wait for ebay, but to buy one in a local store will cost like $50 for a recording one.
Post Reply Post Reply
I would ask your doctor first (before buying an oximeter) if he thought from your sleep study results, you should be on supplemental oxygen along with Cpap.

Ask him how you would go about monitoring your levels without a Monitor. Explain your financial situation to him. He may be able to help in some way.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-26-2018, 01:19 AM)Broomstick Wrote: This is driving me nuts. While I am waiting for my machine, I really want to know what the hell my O2 is dropping to. 

They said mid 80s in sleep study but I didn't even reach REM, so it must be even lower.

Well, your first step is to get a copy of your sleep study, including the graphs.
Post Reply Post Reply
My doc's office has loaner oximeters, they give them to the patients for small, refundable, deposit.

It doesn't hurt to ask your doctor.
Post Reply Post Reply
My sleep doctor loaned me one for a night and my DME also had them to loan.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Pulse oximeter recommendations? p123 15 1,216 03-26-2024, 04:57 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  Looking for wrist oximeter to check O2 storywizard 0 89 03-13-2024, 05:29 PM
Last Post: storywizard
Question Oximeter Sensitivity mhjunk525 1 151 03-02-2024, 11:39 AM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  are there pulse oximeter synced CPAP/Bipap/sleep study devices? bhavintu79 1 202 03-02-2024, 04:53 AM
Last Post: Gep232
  [Health] Pulse oximeter readings while asleep and awake - what do these readings mean? SleepyButHopeful 11 671 02-26-2024, 03:17 AM
Last Post: srlevine1
  Is there a pulse oximeter that bluetooths to the Air11? cathyf 2 808 12-19-2023, 01:19 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Anyone Ever Had Insurance Cover Nightly Oximeter cmpman1974 35 2,864 12-12-2023, 04:11 PM
Last Post: cmpman1974

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.