Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Can Someone Explain How This Is An Obstructive Event
Can Someone Explain How This Is An Obstructive Event
So I was just diagnosed with OSA, but am not 100% convinced it's actually obstructive in nature. I have a fairly low AHI (5-10) and almost all are Hypopneas, but it's very crippling as I'm always awakening. Can't get more than a 1 hour stretch in. In any case, I was looking at Sleephead data, and while it's obvious there is something going on due to the dips in minute vent and the jagged flow, I can't understand how it's an obstructive event without a flattening of the flow rate. Being that it was labeled a 71 second event, this is a snapshot of roughly the entire event. Does this make any sense? Any idea what else it could be?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Can Someone Explain How This Is An Obstructive Event
This event starts off with a flow limitation with snore (see downward sloping inspiration with jagged top) at 05:32:55. It proceeds with diminishing respiratory volume, all showing flow limits until there is a recovery breath at 05:33:45, followed by a ragged looking expiration and second recovery breath. Flow then gradually diminishes again with flow limitation suggested by flat-topped inspriatory flow, and an OA that tanks the tidal volume. The end of the segment does not show a recover breath but continued low flow.

I think you need higher minimum pressure as your pressure is 5.0/4.2 through the entire sequence. This is just too low to stabilize your breathing, and I think you woul notice a lot of difference at a pressure of 6.5 or 7.0.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Wow, thank you Sleeprider - you know your charts! I do know that the pressure is way low I am trying desperately to get used to the machine and set it on its lowest setting to try and get some data on it while I get used to it but 6-7 is definitely doable. So this CAN be an obstructive event - I've always thought that it had to flatline (to a certain degree)....interesting.
Post Reply Post Reply
if the waveform diminishes by 30% it's considered a hypopnea. if it diminishes 70%(could be 90% - i forget) it's scored as an obstructive apnea. Both fall under the obstructive in nature apneas. Also, the decrease in flow(event) has to last at least 10 seconds.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi SleepyEv,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Hang in there for more responses to your post, good luck with CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Obstructive Sleep Apnea After Stroke Help MB123 1 75 03-23-2024, 01:08 PM
Last Post: Dormeo
  Help interpreting non-obstructive events in OSCAR needsleeps 14 774 03-05-2024, 12:28 PM
Last Post: needsleeps
Sad [Symptoms] Traumatic life event. Now I'm waking up every night suffocating. BostonEngineer 9 399 03-03-2024, 12:44 PM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  New User: Obstructive Events Gone but Central Events appearing. bopbop 0 213 02-13-2024, 08:44 PM
Last Post: bopbop
Question OSCAR: Cheyne Stokes listed in event summary list but can't find a single event eyeloveeyez 5 330 02-12-2024, 09:03 PM
Last Post: eok361
  ResMed Airsense 11 - Central vs. Obstructive FlowRider 7 939 12-22-2023, 12:24 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Mask pressure wave form with obstructive events jaredihnen 6 450 12-07-2023, 04:10 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.