Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Can a Hypoallergenic-Filter Change Reported Mask-Leak?
Can a Hypoallergenic-Filter Change Reported Mask-Leak?
I suffer from Nasal allergies, so replaced the original air filter in my AirSense 10 with an AG hypoallergenic air-inlet filter 3 nights ago.  I've since gotten 2 "red faces" for high leaks! 

I'm not looking for a complete analysis of my leaking just yet -- it tends to be high, but never before red-face high.  

At this point I'm asking only if anyone has experienced, heard of, or can think of a mechanism that would explain how a hypoallergenic filter could effect reported mask leak?  

I'm going back to a standard filter tonight, expecting -- hoping-- my sleep report will go back to my usual.  I'm wondering if I should try another filter brand (ResMed), or just forget about the hypoallergenic thing for now.  Allergy season is almost over.  

Thanks. Jerry
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Can a Hypoallergenic-Filter Change Reported Mask-Leak?
"Hypoallergenic" is a meaningless label that merely suggests the filter media is manufactured from materials that re not generally associated with allergies. It is not a measure of filtration efficiency or capability to exclude allergens. There is no test or criteria for using this term, whether it refers to a vacuum cleaner, a Golden Doodle pet, or a CPAP filter. I have no idea why a filter would cause a higher leak rate to be reported by your flow sensor in the Resmed Autoset, but I can tell you that there is no advantage to using an after-market filter labeled as hypoallergenic.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
If it's a generic filter of any type, it's possible it could throw off air flow in some way that it might give you that red smiley face. If that's the case, you could try true ResMed manufactured ones. My COPD and allergy like symptoms are probably not like yours, but I have only ran with standard filters. As you say, you could swap a standard one in and see what happens.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Adding to Sleeprider's advice;  I've found these filters further restrict incoming air flow to the CPAP.  Because of this restriction, the CPAP has to work harder, and louder, to achieve the same results.  This condition is compounded further as the filter traps any debris.  The blockage occurs at an accelerated rate since it's less porous than the standard filter.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks, Sleeprider, SarcasticDave94, and CrimsonNape for good advice.  

My good news is after yanking the HA (hypoallergenic) filter and replacing it with the standard ResMed issue, my ugly Red Leak faces are gone!

Turns out the "Flow" curve envelope (ResMed software) with the AG HA filter was only about half that with the standard filter.
Not saying that that would happen at other pressures, leak rates, etc., but that was my experience.  (My 95th percentile leak rate hangs around 40-50 l/m)  

I bought those filters thinking they would cut pollen, but, as Sleeprider pointed out, that's not really what HA means.  
I even made a little effort to find the smallest particle size that specific HA filter would pass, but found no data.
Post Reply Post Reply
Re: filtering capability of regular vs hypoallergenic filters.

From Resmed’s website:

https://www.resmed.com/us/en/healthcare-...toset.html

Standard: Average arrestance: > 75% for ~7 micron dust

Hypoallergenic: Efficiency: >98% for ~7-8 micron dust. >80% for ~0.5 micron dust
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-05-2019, 08:33 AM)JerryG Wrote: ...
I bought those filters thinking they would cut pollen, but, as Sleeprider pointed out, that's not really what HA means.  
I even made a little effort to find the smallest particle size that specific HA filter would pass, but found no data.

Very interesting, Coffee Man!  Good info about ResMed's filter.  

Not saying it doesn't exist, but I haven't come across similar for the AG HA filter.

Also interesting that ResMed uses the term "Hypoallergenic" to describe the filter's ability to stop allergen-sized particles, not merely an absence of allergic contact dermatitis response to the filter material.  Thanks.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question Help - Mask change causing fatigue? coffee9724 3 226 04-15-2024, 09:01 PM
Last Post: jcp519
  Please, need help reading the leak rate and LL info chronic 14 343 04-13-2024, 12:00 PM
Last Post: chronic
  Oscar 1.4.0 software time change keithy62 2 123 04-12-2024, 05:14 AM
Last Post: keithy62
  ResMed Humidifier Tub Change? Reesche 12 377 04-09-2024, 12:46 AM
Last Post: Reesche
  Leak Spikes and A Break in Flow blu15 9 1,262 04-06-2024, 02:08 PM
Last Post: avhenry
Angry Waking Up with CPAP, Not Getting Full Nights Rest. What Settings to Change? xgrea40 3 326 04-01-2024, 11:40 AM
Last Post: jcp519
  Airsense 10 - AHI account for leak rate? FriedRice 10 418 03-29-2024, 12:29 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.