Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Canada and Philips Recall
Canada and Philips Recall
Sorry I tried to skim read the 266+ page thread on the Philips Recalls and 50+ pages I'm no further enlightened... (I hope posting about this outside of the thread isn't breaking any rules...)

I registered right away for the Philips recall as soon as I found out for both my machines, which happened to be the beginning of July 2021.  I have a DreamStation Go APAP and a System One 560 APAP, both of which I paid for out of pocket.  I've had these machines packed up and ready to go back for almost 2 years now.  

I can't seem to find any information on what's going on for Canada.  I've called Philips 2x, and I've called the DME where I bought my DS Go, 2x.  Philips tells me they have no information on the status of my 2 recalls...that if I'm not in the US, they can't give me ANY info.  I even waited an additional hour on hold to speak to their Supervisor who knew nothing either.  My DME is really only the DME for my DS Go machine.  I unfortunately bought my System 1 in the US while there as I winter in Florida.  They said even the machine purchased in the US is being handled by the DME responsible for my DS Go.  I'll bet they would beg to differ.

Anyway, I'd really like to find out what is going on with regards to this recall for Canadians, and in particular Ontario as I would guess each Province is handling their own.  

Really hoping someone on here is able to shed some light on this situation?  Really interested as well to hear from fellow pappers  from Ontario, Canada and what they might know.

Thanks
APNEABOARD - A great place to be if you're a hosehead!!  Rolleyes  

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
EVERY ACCOMPLISHMENT BEGINS WITH THE DECISION TO TRY!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Canada and Philips Recall
Hello Cate,

I received my second Dreamstation from a supplier in Ontario about 4 months before the recall.  When the recall happened, I registered my CPAP on the Phillips site and called the supplier to ask what they were going to do.  They told me that they were waiting to hear from Phillips.  I didn't bother to wait and essentially robbed someone on Kijiji for a very low hour Resmed for Her for dirt cheap.  The seller didn't know what he had.

I received a call from my supplier last week saying they have my replacement Dreamstation.  I resisted the urge to tell them to throw it out and went in to pick it up.  Shows zero hours and looks new but who knows.  It's been shoved into the closet.

My sense is that if you're in Canada, you would get a replacement through your supplier and not directly from Phillips.  But since you bought yours in the States, I really don't know how Phillips will handle it.  They sure weren't in a hurry to replace mine.
Post Reply Post Reply
A friend, who registered immediately, received the replacement machine within several months.  I was surprised how quickly they received their new machine.
Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
Question - why don't you get a new machine through ADP.  The price has lowered again.  As a result it's under $150 for your portion of the bill.  If you don't know about this program let me know.
Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
Interesting to hear that they are replacing the regular DreamStation machines already. I have a DreamStation Go that I paid out of pocket for about 2 1/2 -3 years ago and have barely got to use (for travelling). Plus I have an older System One (that's the one I bought in the US). And as I mentioned, I've called both my DME and Philips twice with no answers whatsoever.

Cpapian, unless things have changed in Ontario, Once you get your initial CPAP machine and the Ontario Gov't kicks in most of the $, you're on your own unless you have private insurance which I do not. My original sleep doc told me that your machine has to basically be broken for someone in Ontario to qualify for a new machine. I hope things have changed and I am just not aware. Have you heard otherwise?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Post Reply Post Reply
check out  https://www.ontario.ca/page/assistive-devices-program

You can get a new machine every 5 years.  The program covers 75% of the cost.
Post Reply Post Reply
You need to see your sleep doctor.  Every 5 years is the norm, but the sleep doctor is the one who needs to provide the Rx and  complete the paperwork.   I recently got a new one. 

The trouble with gps is they probably can't stay on top of every government program.  I don't know if my gp knows about the ADP program,  but it doesn't matter,  they send me to the sleep doctor who does.
Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
Kruger Dunning effect.   Your GP overestimates their knowledge about government programs. 

As Fedman said, five years is the norm.  You will  need to see your sleep doctor.  They need to write the Rx and complete the paperwork for the program.
Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks both Fedman and Cpapian for your info. It's been 7 ½ years since I received my ResMed Autosense Elite 10. Often have a problem with water chamber seal. I think it was a common problem back when these were new-ish and I failed to get it fixed within warranty timeframe. Not sure if that will help me in getting a new machine. I'm due any day now to receive my call to have my machine's SD card read so the Sleep doc can interpret the results. So when/if he calls me, I'll try to discuss the possibility of a new machine. My original doc retired and this current one who took over, I've never seen him in person due to Covid, doctors doing phone call appts instead. Hope that changes now that the Pandemic has been declared over.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  NOTICE: Philips Discontinues Numerous Devices and Halts Dreamstation Sales in the U.S. WakeUpTime 56 4,993 Yesterday, 02:51 PM
Last Post: btreger
Exclaimation [News] RECALL THREAD-- IMPORTANT PHILIPS DREAMSTATION & SYSTEM ONE USERS Sleeprider 2,964 359,803 Yesterday, 02:17 PM
Last Post: btreger
  Persistent micro arousals? first few days on ResMed after switch from Philips. manders513 10 1,223 04-17-2024, 01:14 PM
Last Post: freakyfrog
  NOTICE: Philips Respironics Recall Replacement Tally RayBee 184 29,871 04-01-2024, 12:26 PM
Last Post: RayBee
  Foam Removal - Philips System One peewee44 47 10,904 03-26-2024, 05:46 AM
Last Post: jojopuppyfish
  Is my Philips Remstar Pro System One working? alanbc 11 480 03-13-2024, 11:41 AM
Last Post: alanbc
  Where to send my philips REPLACEMENT machine Rice95 7 1,235 02-29-2024, 01:20 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.