Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Cant't Exhale with CPAP
Cant't Exhale with CPAP
[parts of this thread were copied from our old forum]

RefreshedWannabe Wrote:Oct 3 2005, 10:20 PM Post #1

I just found this forum, and I hope it helps. I am a 42yr old male who just got a CPAP machine after my sleep study found I had 29 apneas/hour. The CPAP setting is at "9", but my machine lets me turn it on and get the first 30 minutes at '4".

For for the first five nights I have been barely able to fall asleep in the 30 minutes: without it - I can fall asleep in 5 min no problem.

And after that, I wake up in the first hour out of breath. I feel like I am suffocating because I can't seem to exhale against that hurricane of an airflow! I get so frustrated I literally throw the dumb mask on the floor. Then I sleep like a baby - well - I sleep with my normal snoring and waking up lightly thru the night like always.

Is a "9" a lot? If not, how can I learn to tolerate this thing and exhale through it.

Secondly, after I throw the dumb thing on the floor, I have to get up to get a drink of water. Even after just one hour, my throat (not mouth) is totally dry. It even woke me up last night. The nurse said to try saline spray. I did - no help. Do I need a humidifier?

Any help would be appreciated.

SleepyHead Wrote:Oct 4 2005, 03:21 AM Post #2

RW,

In my experience 9 cm H2o is not necessarily high. With an RDI (Respiratory Disturbance Index) of 29...it sounds about right. Although i have to say that it is not accurate to judge someones pressure simply based on their RDI.

Anywho, it takes some people a little time to adjust to CPAP once they get it home. For example, I slept fine with CPAP in the clinical trial, but once I got mine home....it took me almost a couple months to get used to wearing it through the night. Did you have any difficulties using the headgear during your clinical trial? Also, in regards to the drying of your throat and mouth. You may want to check out a heated humidifier. (NOTE: Humidifiers performances can be greatly affected by where you live, altitude, season, etc.)

Drop a few more lines if you have any other questions. I'm new in here, but happy to help.

reedstein Wrote:Oct 4 2005, 11:42 AM Post #3

RefreshedWannabe,

I'm on a setting of 24cm, so a 9 is nothing for me. With the dry throat, if you are using only a nasal mask or pillows, your mouth may be opening to exhale and it dries your mouth. You may need a chin strap to keep your mouth closed, so you exhale through your nose.

Good Luck!!

Mike

ConnCarl Wrote:Oct 5 2005, 06:07 PM Post #4

RefreshedWannabe
Oct 3 2005, 10:20 PM
I just found this forum, and I hope it helps. I am a 42yr old male who just got a CPAP machine after my sleep study found I had 29 apneas/hour. The CPAP setting is at "9", but my machine lets me turn it on and get the first 30 minutes at '4".

For for the first five nights I have been barely able to fall asleep in the 30 minutes: without it - I can fall asleep in 5 min no problem.

And after that, I wake up in the first hour out of breath. I feel like I am suffocating because I can't seem to exhale against that hurricane of an airflow! I get so frustrated I literally throw the dumb mask on the floor. Then I sleep like a baby - well - I sleep with my normal snoring and waking up lightly thru the night like always.

Is a "9" a lot? If not, how can I learn to tolerate this thing and exhale through it.

Secondly, after I throw the dumb thing on the floor, I have to get up to get a drink of water. Even after just one hour, my throat (not mouth) is totally dry. It even woke me up last night. The nurse said to try saline spray. I did - no help. Do I need a humidifier?

Any help would be appreciated.

Refreshed, welcome to Apnea Board.

It's not as easy to fall asleep with CPAP as without it. Your best bet to resolve that particular problem is CPAP desensitization and good sleep hygiene.

Is a CPAP pressure of 9 cm a lot? The short answer is no. That doesn't mean that you won't find it uncomfortable, however. If you're having trouble exhaling against the pressure, you might like to try a CPAP machine that provides some relief on exhalation, such as a Respironics unit with C-Flex technology.

As others have suggested, a heated humidifier may help with the dryness you mentioned, although it could be the result of your mouth opening during sleep, which can be addressed with a chinstrap or similar device.

Try not to throw your mask on the floor. I know how you feel, believe me, but if you ever have to pay for one out of your own pocket, you'll treat those things with reverence.

Good luck! Carl
"You knew the job was dangerous when you took it, Fred." - Superchicken

SleepyHead Wrote:Oct 6 2005, 08:48 PM Post #5

One other thing about the dry throat. Do you drink enough liquids throughout your day? Besides actual humidification for the CPAP unit, a patient can truly avoid dry throat by making sure they are properly hydrated. If you're not properly hydrated, you'll have a better chance at getting dry throat.

As far as humidifiers go, there is a new unit from Fisher and Paykel that has a heated hose. The hose is heated by a copper tubing within which is supposed to reduce the amount of cooling air that occurs naturally when air leaves the CPAP unit to the headgear. This heated tube also is supposed to discourage "rainout." (Condensation within the hose which usually leads to that weird and disturbing gurgling/sputtering issue with most heated units.) The down side to the unit is price. The hose stands to cost anywhere from $100 to $150 according to our DME. It's worth a look though if dry throat is truly bothering you, but try the more practical and simple steps first.

ConnCarl Wrote:Oct 7 2005, 07:51 AM Post #6

Heated hoses have been available in Australia for years. There are many sites that offer them for sale to U.S. residents for $100 or less. You can find them with a google search for "heated cpap hose australia".

Personally, I'll wait until Wally World has them...I figure they'll be about $10 then.

An insulated hose cover is also a good way to reduce rainout.

Carl

Jim Wrote:Oct 27 2005, 01:22 PM Post #7

I noticed mention in this thread of CPAP desensitization. What is that and who can coach me in what to do?

ConnCarl Wrote:Oct 27 2005, 04:29 PM Post #8

A Simple Step-by-Step Guide to CPAP Desensitization at:
http://www.sleep.buffalo.edu/CPAPacclim.htm

HEVY Wrote:Dec 25 2005, 01:27 AM Post #9

FIRST U MAY NEED A HUMIDIFIER, SECOND U WILL DEFINATELY GET USED TO IT. AND THIRD IF THIS DOESNT GO AWAY AFTER HUMIDIFIER AND A FEW WEEKS U MIGHT NEED A BIPAP. SAME THING BUT PRESSURE DROPS WHEN EXHALING.

sandygalsleeps Wrote:Dec 26 2005, 11:27 PM Post #10

Hi,
CPAP user for many many years I found that it took me 2 - 3 weeks to get use to it and I found by going straight on full air flow of 13 instead of using the 15 mins. build up, it was a lot more comfortable. It is an individual thing the build up or direct air flow.
Humidifier is all I use, I dont have a heated hose or whatever and as far as the dry throat goes, I would suggest that you get a chin strap which will keep your mouth closed whilst sleeping and breathing through your nose. You may find that if you are breathing through your mouth, sub consciously whilst sleeping, you are probably trying to breathe out your mouth and nose and that is where it is difficult. You need to use nose only for the comfort of yourself.
Dont give up, it is well worth the effort, and when you consider the side effects over the years of not using cpap, heart, brain damage, strokes etc. heart attacks etc. it is well worth perservering with. The other thing is it saves marriages too.
Keep on keeping on and you will be smiling, refreshed and not tired.
This post is a natural product. The slight variations in spelling and 
grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and in no way 
are to be considered flaws or defects.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Unable to exhale against nasal pillow pressure? jle323 10 4,857 03-04-2024, 11:40 AM
Last Post: Guerc13
  Resmed vibrates on exhale? webweaver 5 827 12-22-2023, 08:22 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  RESMED F30i Mask causing pulsing on exhale HULK 1 580 09-21-2023, 04:12 PM
Last Post: stevew77
  Normal for exhale peaks to be much greater than inhale peaks? stony82 4 536 09-20-2023, 03:36 PM
Last Post: stony82
  [Symptoms] Difficult to exhale by end of night threerottencats 0 442 08-12-2023, 11:19 AM
Last Post: threerottencats
Sad [Equipment] AIRFIT P10 problems -- too much pressure / can't exhale genieangel 9 9,058 07-13-2023, 10:47 PM
Last Post: Big Dave
  What AirCurve 10 ASV adjustment makes it easier to exhale against pressure? DevinJones 12 1,226 05-12-2023, 01:10 PM
Last Post: DevinJones

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.