Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Capnography with CPAP (home monitoring)
Capnography with CPAP (home monitoring)
Experts,

What is the feasibility of connecting a capnography unit (such as Emma Masimo) to our CPAP setup, for monitoring end tidal co2 levels?

https://www.masimo.com/products/ventilat...apnograph/

It's relatively cheap, I would simply record the output using my phone all night but I wouldn't know about how to connect to the usual CPAP mask tubing etc to the adult adaptor.

Any thoughts?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Capnography with CPAP (home monitoring)
It would appear that this device would have to be connected directly to the mask.  The mask's vent holes would have to be relocated downstream, past the sensing device.  Otherwise, you would lose too much data from the weep holes.  Again, relocating the vent holes is currently employed to increase the patient's CO2 level now.  It is called, Enhanced Expiratory Rebreathing Space (EERS).  Just in case you wish more information on this subject, here is the link in the AB Wiki:
https://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.ph...ace_(EERS)

- Red
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Capnography with CPAP (home monitoring)
A positive air pressure device works much differently than a ventilator to an intubated patient, which I think is the intended use of this capnography unit. PAP maintains pressure with a constant flow of air that is several times greater than the patient respiratory volume, resulting in a constant vented air stream that is highly diluted with ambient air, and not reflective of the PAP user's expiratory gas fractions. Ventilators use a separate inspiratory and expiratory circuit and approximate the same volume of air delivered to the lungs. I don't see a way to use this with CPAP. Correct me if my assumptions are wrong.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What's the best home sleep test currently on the market? Lucky7 2 75 11 hours ago
Last Post: Jay51
Question [Diagnosis] Home Sleep Study Results & Feedback togapilot 6 528 03-26-2024, 02:36 PM
Last Post: togapilot
  Home Sleep Study - Low AHI but significant desat ArcherNeedsSleep 65 5,901 03-19-2024, 07:08 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  REM and Sleep Stage Tracking at Home rwelliot 15 5,317 02-26-2024, 03:49 AM
Last Post: DebJ
  Home Sleep apnea test xaid 5 861 02-21-2024, 09:28 PM
Last Post: BDayton
  I cannot fall asleep with my bipap/home ventilator. Hypoglossal nerve stimulator? Jay51 220 14,575 01-17-2024, 11:02 AM
Last Post: Jay51
  Son Finished Home Sleep Test - Possible UARS? Skeptic 7 624 12-16-2023, 01:21 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.