Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Central Apneas/Daytime Breathing
RE: Central Apneas/Daytime Breathing
Robosaur, I don't want us to lose track of something important that you noted: you had "a lot" of central apneas during your sleep test. If you happen to know the breakdown of your AHI during the study, could you let us know? But here let me focus on your question about what to raise with your new sleep doctor.

* Be sure the doctor has access to your detailed original sleep study.

* Ask whether the doctor thinks your original diagnosis should have been for obstructive apnea or for mixed apnea, or for central apnea. Your machine can treat obstructive apnea but is not really going to help with central events in mixed or central apnea.

* Point out that your central events tend to be clustered at the beginning and end of the night. This may suggest that some aspect of the neurochemical "handoff" from your waking systems to your sleeping systems (and back again) is not working quite right. This might or might not be connected with your meds.

* Be sure to provide the doctor with a list the meds you've used, and when. Try looking at your Overview data for a period of time that includes some changes in the meds (new meds, off meds, whatever) and note whether you see any patterns of association with centrals going up or down.

* If I understand correctly, you sometimes feel you need to take extra-deep breaths during the day. Be sure to mention this; it may suggest some value in a few basic tests of pulmonary function. (By the way, I believe central events generally are pauses after exhalation, rather than breath-holding. You can zoom in on your flow rate to see whether yours are pauses or holds.)

* Think carefully ahead of time whether anything else has changed as your number of centrals has increased. Meds other than anxiety meds? Weight? Drinking habits or use of recreational drugs?

* Consider taking a trusted family member or friend with you to the consultation so he or she can help make sure all your questions are answered and help you remember what the doctors says. Please do press for action of some kind. What's going on is not acceptable.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Central Apneas/Daytime Breathing
Good info, thanks Dormeo. I'd missed that myself in post 1, you say CA were half or more compared to Obstructive events. Alrighty, if you and doc see the report together would be best case. Then you can mention all the symptoms you still have with Apnea and PAP therapy. Pick the approach to best for in with your doc. Ask or suggest you go for an ASV titration, or that ASV is included in Titration in the upcoming test.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Worried about periodic breathing / CA patterns Jorgo 46 1,174 Yesterday, 05:07 PM
Last Post: Jorgo
  please help me make sense of my central apneas p4ncaketim 27 603 Yesterday, 04:21 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Central while on ASV Boodmaster 11 2,527 03-26-2024, 02:37 AM
Last Post: Boodmaster
  [Treatment] Clear airway / central apnea events -- causes and solutions? mitzvahtime 6 2,407 03-25-2024, 04:10 PM
Last Post: Jay51
  Fixing (CPAP-induced?) central apneas Franko39 17 865 03-21-2024, 11:26 PM
Last Post: Franko39
  Central Sleeping Apnea treatment ivan007 5 212 03-21-2024, 12:52 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  Central events while falling asleep michaelyu15 7 273 03-20-2024, 06:22 PM
Last Post: michaelyu15

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.