Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Geosyncline Sleep Therapy Thread
Geosyncline Sleep Therapy Thread
Hi All,

(Sadly OSCAR data with my current pressure settings is unavailable due to a technical issue).

I've been using my AirSense 11 / APAP now every night for about a year, and while it's clearly helping in many respects (I no longer wake up in the middle of the night with heart palpitations) I'm still not feeling "good" and am tired every morning upon waking up, even in context of other medical conditions I am being treated for.

I still wake up several times a night. Many of those times seem to as a result of airway blockage due to sleeping position when I roll onto my back, and the back of my tongue shifts back and closes my airway on exhale (I'm semi-conscious sometimes when this happens).... My machine, most of the time, doesn't seem to log these events.  When the machine does log them, the increase in pressure will sometimes cause enough leaking that it will wake me, in spite of dialing back my max pressure to prevent huge jumps.

I've tried a large cervical collar and, unfortunately, it doesn't stop the airway closures while on my back.  Due to other body issues, sleeping on my side the whole night isn't always comfortable. Also, sleeping on my side isn't always the best with the n30i, which is my preferred mask these days: unless my head is positioned just right, one of the tubes on the mask gets partially closed and I get that unpleasant "sucking through a straw" sensation.

I would love suggestions on how to potentially prevent the airway closures and stop waking up so much. I would also love help with interpretation of what's going on in the "busy" parts of my OSCAR chart, when my tidal volume is greater. Is that REM sleep or are those times when I am awake, trying to get back to sleep?

Slightly outdated OSCAR data attached. Sp02 data isn't on these particular charts but it's consistently been 96-97%, or above, the vast majority of nights, and when it does dip, only goes down to 92% for a very short duration..

Thanks!

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Geosyncline Sleep Therapy Thread
there could be some REM in these charts, but think the ultra high tidal volume is full blown awake time. Do you remember dreaming?

I don't recognize any particular spot that suggests REM sleep, besides maybe 2:10 to 2:20 on Feb 6.

About waking, if you woke right after dreaming, (where you recall specific details and plot lines.) then I would not try something to eliminate this.

These three charts do not suggest there is any apnea disturbing you.

Good luck,

QAL
Dedicated to QALity sleep.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [CPAP] Starting therapy - 3 days in, help and recommendations joedes 2 82 1 hour ago
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  First time therapy, settings and progress Schernenk 67 1,089 8 hours ago
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  [Treatment] 6bez8dF5lf - Therapy Help, 6bez8dF5lf 9 231 10 hours ago
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  michaelyu15 - Therapy Help michaelyu15 18 382 11 hours ago
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  Little Olive - Therapy Adventure Little Olive 71 1,366 Yesterday, 08:23 PM
Last Post: Little Olive
Exclaimation [News] RECALL THREAD-- IMPORTANT PHILIPS DREAMSTATION & SYSTEM ONE USERS Sleeprider 2,964 359,733 Yesterday, 02:17 PM
Last Post: btreger
  MaggieL, Better than a Sweaty Zombie Meat Sack Therapy Thread MaggieL 37 1,077 04-16-2024, 06:00 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.