Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Central Apneas and APAP response
Central Apneas and APAP response
I got into trouble last night where I got up to the bathroom and when I went back to bed, I started having a lot of central apneas. My Resmed Airsense 10 just loafed along at a minimum pressure of around 8 and never really ramped back up to the level I was at before I got up. This caused a feeling of suffocation and my blood oxygen level was having wild swings from the 80s to the 90s. Before I had gotten up, I was cruising along at a maximum pressure of 10.8 and my Spo2 was fine, around 95. After struggling for over an hour, I just took the mask off, which is something I rarely ever do.

So my question is why did my machine not give me more pressure when I was in such distress? How does Resmed respond to CAs and would it be a good idea to increase my minimum pressure? Thanks!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Central Apneas and APAP response
If you are uncomfortable at 8 cm, by all means bump it up. Since you like it around 10 cm, I'd try it there. You can always change it later. An AS10 does not respond to CAs, the pressure increase is based on flow limitations.

- Red
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks Red! That answers my question and I'll try bumping up my pressure. John
Post Reply Post Reply
ALL APAPS/CPAPS, and BiLevels without Backup (VAuto, "S" mode) are designed to do NOTHING in response to a central event.

Keep in mind that increased pressure and increased EPR/Flex/PS are among the things that often increase centrals in those that are proven to be susceptible. In general, we try to reduce these things to avoid having central apneas at the expense of increased obstructive events.
Post Reply Post Reply
So if increased pressure tends to trigger CAs and I seem to be ok while asleep, I wonder if adding some ramp might help. I haven’t used ramp for quite some time.
Post Reply Post Reply
I might add that my EPR is at 1 and I can’t seem to tolerate going any lower.
Post Reply Post Reply
DreamerDude, you have three threads and zero charts posted. How about putting up an Oscar detailed daily chart so we can see what we're dealing with, rather than guessing?
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Good idea! I was hoping a general question would do but I’ll get something posted. Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
We're pretty good here, but we're better if you throw us a bone to chew on.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

Post Reply Post Reply
Hey Sleeprider, I totally get it. Makes all the sense in the world to get the info out there for you guys. You help a lot of people and to do so need as much information as possible. I think this is a great forum and until now haven't really participated. But I think I need help and I'm floundering. Below is a screenshot from last night. Please note that this morning I upped my pressure from 7.8 - 10.8, to 8.6 - 12, so consider I had it set to the former.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  please help me make sense of my central apneas p4ncaketim 27 588 1 hour ago
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Central while on ASV Boodmaster 11 2,520 03-26-2024, 02:37 AM
Last Post: Boodmaster
  [Treatment] Clear airway / central apnea events -- causes and solutions? mitzvahtime 6 2,400 03-25-2024, 04:10 PM
Last Post: Jay51
  Issues with APAP WWYD FlyingUmbrella683 1 87 03-22-2024, 07:21 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Fixing (CPAP-induced?) central apneas Franko39 17 860 03-21-2024, 11:26 PM
Last Post: Franko39
  Central Sleeping Apnea treatment ivan007 5 212 03-21-2024, 12:52 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  New APAP machine: Lowenstein Prisma Smart Max Robert Detz 10 371 03-21-2024, 07:58 AM
Last Post: WisNaeMe

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.