Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Central Apneas and settings recommendations
Central Apneas and settings recommendations
[attachment=45460][attachment=45460]I've been using my cpap for about 3 months, at first I was clocking in sub 1 and 2 ahi each night, but after a few weeks it started to creep into the 3-5 range, with the main culprit being central apneas that seem to have emerged from treatment. I know anything under 5 is considered treated, but I certainly felt better when I was getting sub 1s. Could someone please offer some insight into why this is happening, and what to do going forward?

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Central Apneas and settings recommendations
Did your original sleep study reveal any centrals?

Sometimes when a patient is new to PAP therapy, they develop "treatment emergent" centrals because they are now breathing more efficiently and blowing off more CO2. TECs typically go away in about 3 months or so. The puzzling part is that you seem to have indicated none when you started PAP therapy. I would give it some time and see what happens.

Overall, your number of centrals is not a big problem. Many people have a few. Think about when you pause your breathing when you watch a suspenseful movie to TV show, or read a suspenseful part of a book, or when you thread a needle. Not a big deal.

In the meantime, you are not using EPR. Flow limits and hypopnea are treated with EPR. I suggest considering EPR of 3; if that causes additional centrals, you may wish to back of to 2. EPR should make it easier to exhale and thus may increase your comfort level.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  please help me make sense of my central apneas p4ncaketim 27 602 11 hours ago
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Pulse oximeter recommendations? p123 15 1,223 03-26-2024, 04:57 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  Central while on ASV Boodmaster 11 2,525 03-26-2024, 02:37 AM
Last Post: Boodmaster
  [Treatment] Clear airway / central apnea events -- causes and solutions? mitzvahtime 6 2,406 03-25-2024, 04:10 PM
Last Post: Jay51
  Fixing (CPAP-induced?) central apneas Franko39 17 864 03-21-2024, 11:26 PM
Last Post: Franko39
  battery backup recommendations as10/as11 eok361 53 4,337 03-21-2024, 05:10 PM
Last Post: robbob2112
  Central Sleeping Apnea treatment ivan007 5 212 03-21-2024, 12:52 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.