Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Central Sleep Apnea and Home Sleep Test
Central Sleep Apnea and Home Sleep Test
Hello All, 

New here and glad that such a great site exists. I have a few questions please.

I’ve had nights and history of very strong symptoms of central sleep apnea (minimal or no effort to breathe while falling asleep and very many multiple repeating times while sleeping, lasting up to 30 seconds to 1 minute or more at a time. Accompanied by oxygen readings dropping to as low as at least 80s or 70s on pulse oximeter at those times.) Around those times heart rate may drop down to around 40 bpm at times (I’m usually around 70’s bpm at rest during day). Miserable when symptoms get bad. I often had caught myself not even trying to breathe while still awake and starting to fall asleep. 

Changing positions to side or stomach and even sitting straight up makes no difference at all noticeable. I may snore occasionally, but haven’t noticed or been told by anyone that it’s significant.

I was assigned a home sleep study test by pulmonologist for the time being. It was a ResMed ApneaLinkAir with effort sensor belt, nasal cannula, pulse oximeter.

My question: 
Even though it may not be perfect compared to in lab, how does it go about clearly showing central sleep apnea CSA as opposed to obstructive sleep apnea? I’m guessing it would at least show whether effort is being made to breathe and for how long as well as oxygen dips if there was central apnea? How could the home sleep study test help do at least a quick determination of central sleep apnea? Is it actually useful and how?

Thank you
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Central Sleep Apnea and Home Sleep Test
Welcome to our happy little board.

I'm not a scientific test guru, so I can't get into percentages and how close a home vs lab test will be on accuracy. I'd lean towards the lab being more accurate though for obvious reasoning. Now on the test you did and measuring CA/central apnea. The key to possibly being fairly accurate in flagging CA is the effort belt. The worst outcome is that the home test moves doc to require a lab sleep study.

Keep us posted on how things go. You should ask for the detailed report and post the redacted in a post. There's a number of us CA patients here. And depending on how things go, as in what the test says about CA, you might need the extra special ASV. If it were to go that way, consider the ResMed AirCurve 10 ASV an excellent choice. I should know, I use one.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome to the forum.
Either way, you should find out if you need to be treated. Stay in touch with us along the way.
Get and KEEP a full copy of any sleep test and prescription you get. Post redacted copies here
Talk to us BEFORE you get/buy your machine. This is very important!!! You have a choice here, even if/when they say you do not. Brand's make a BIG difference.

Here is some 'light' reading I threw together.
http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...re_success
Post Reply Post Reply
This is the view they'll see when they review your home sleep study data:

https://www.resmed.co.uk/healthcare-prof...-air/#shop

As you can see it flags what it thinks are centrals.

I've got an ApneaLink Air HSS in June and had the same concerns (most of my events I believe to be central).

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  I need sleep badly! Any help with OSCAR is appreciated Quitethe1 77 1,731 2 hours ago
Last Post: Quitethe1
  What's the best home sleep test currently on the market? Lucky7 4 120 3 hours ago
Last Post: OpalRose
  please help me make sense of my central apneas p4ncaketim 27 596 4 hours ago
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Apnea has gotten worse recently, I have no sleep study, can I just buy a cpcp? replayablecontent 12 244 Yesterday, 12:38 PM
Last Post: replayablecontent
Question [Diagnosis] Home Sleep Study Results & Feedback togapilot 6 534 03-26-2024, 02:36 PM
Last Post: togapilot
  Go2sleep Wearable Sleep Tracking Ring ivan007 0 63 03-26-2024, 11:29 AM
Last Post: ivan007
  Help Interpreting Charts to ID Potential Palatal Prolapse - Deep Sleep Issue reedro287 5 105 03-26-2024, 08:39 AM
Last Post: G. Szabo

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.