Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

michaelyu15 - Therapy Help
RE: Central events while falling asleep
Sleep onset centrals are pretty common. Even though most people will tell you not to use EPR with centrals, I have found it often helps because when you "forget to breathe" you often are just breathing too shallow. When the CPAP detects that shallow inspiration flow, it usually triggers the CPAP or IPAP pressure, and that is just enough of of nudge to cause a spontaneous breath. We use this more often with bilevel which has a trigger sensitivity setting so we can make that trigger point very low. EPR will calm those pressure spikes and might just get rid of the CA events.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
A few Central events were present, amounts to 1.61 AHI under the Central area. While they were a significant aspect of your sleep, it was still well below the treated AHI level of 5. These aren't in a large enough amount to edit pressure.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you! I guess I get confused because people suggest turning off EPR to reduce centrals but in this case, I should turn on EPR to reduce centrals? I also turned off ramp time. Would you suggest turning that back on as well?

Should I turn on ramp time? currently I have no ramp so when the machine turns on, it is already blasting a pressure of 9cm. I do notice that it is harder to breathe early on in the night. By morning, I am breathing very easily with a pressure of 9
Post Reply Post Reply
If you can tolerate it, it may be better without ramp. Or a minimalist usage way is use Auto ramp at your starting pressure.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-14-2024, 09:45 PM)michaelyu15 Wrote: Thank you! I guess I get confused because people suggest turning off EPR to reduce centrals but in this case, I should turn on EPR to reduce centrals?

It really depends on the cause of centrals. Turning off EPR is helpful when centrals are the result of "washout", a lowering of CO2 from improved ventilation.  Sleep onset centrals are often just a matter of lag in the neurological handoff between voluntary wake breathing and the autonomic sleep breathing, and EPR sometimes helps as it gives a bit of a push to weak respiratory effort.  Anyway, you'll find much of sleep apnea "science" is nothing more than trial and error, so asking you to try something is an experiment to see if it results in an improvement.  We observe the results and get feedback, then decide whether to keep or reject the change.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you SleepRider! I tried EPR at 3 for two nights and found an increase in CAs. Now just sticking with a pressure of 9-15, EPR 0 in hopes the sleep onset CAs lessen over time. I do end up waking up at night around 1-2hrs (just bc I am anxious about it now) to check and my AHI around that time is usually 5-8. By morning, AHI decreases down to 2-3.
Post Reply Post Reply
AHI increasing and centrals
            Hello, wondering if someone can please evaluate the last couple days of OSCAR data. Been on APAP for about a month and 2 weeks. Was previously using 9-15 cm with no EPR. Lowered down to 5-15 cm with no EPR in hopes of getting rid of centrals. Now obstructive and centrals are on the rise. Even bumped up to 9-15cm last night. Any insight would be great!

Sharing two more nights of data.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
AHI uptrending and centrals
No centrals reported in my sleep study but not sure what sure what I can do at this point. Been using ramp at 15 mins and usually a pressure range of 7-15. Any insight would be great!!

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: michaelyu15 - Therapy Help
michaelyu15 - I noticed all your threads were dealing with your therapy. For this reason, I have merged them into one thread. This allows the reader to see your history and prevent cross posting. I have renamed the thread to, michaelyu15 - Therapy Help, to have a more inclusive title. Please use this thread for all posts regarding your therapy.

I will be sending you a PM confirming my actions as well.

- Red
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [CPAP] Therapy help rekaviv 10 761 04-27-2024, 10:19 AM
Last Post: rekaviv
Question [CPAP] My Therapy tapperino 2 287 04-06-2024, 03:44 PM
Last Post: tapperino
  Therapy Help! greenpj22 25 1,471 02-12-2024, 10:53 AM
Last Post: greenpj22
  Therapy Help SueB 3 591 11-16-2023, 08:58 PM
Last Post: LazyBones
  [Treatment] Help with therapy KPink 15 1,153 07-25-2023, 02:06 PM
Last Post: KPink
  Getting used to therapy? ttrani01 2 472 04-09-2023, 04:18 PM
Last Post: ttrani01
  Lorrubdb Therapy Thread: Fine-tuning therapy with Oscar Lorrubdb 395 22,389 06-21-2022, 02:44 PM
Last Post: Lorrubdb

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.