Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Cervical Collar Success story
RE: Cervical Collar Success story
I, too, don't have any kind of positional apnea, but use the collar to stop my head lolling and my jaw dropping to keep from mouth breathing. It's so great fot that. And I'm so glad to hear that you're seeing success. Smile Long may it last.
Post Reply Post Reply
Checkout my OSCAR Trace:
[attachment=40081]

Can it be? 
I thought my machine was broken. 
0 AHI !

Min EPAP looks right, so I guess it is a true reading

Now that my (body's) training has had time to learn the collar, Wow!

I thought a sub-one reading was a miracle, but zero; amazing.

My average AHI in the last 30 Days has been 3.09! 

I know AHI is not the only measure of success, but for me it is exciting nonetheless!

Thanks Forum
@Sleeprider, @SarcasticDave94, @Geer1, and many many more
Post Reply Post Reply
I was thinking of trialing a collar to control my flow limits, which persist despite using EPR3. Then I read in this thread that the collars can prevent the mouth opening. That wouldn't work for me, being an obligatory mouth breather. Would a collar that was low enough to permit mouth breathing still work against chin tucking?
Post Reply Post Reply
Stevessp,
The first collar I used was way too large and really pushed on my chin to close my mouth. The collar I have now is/was the smallest (lowest) collar I could find ~ 2"

I am a 100% mouth breather (that I know of, lol) fyi

Another member suggested try one, then try another, then try again.  I only had to try twice...

Good luck

Rich
Post Reply Post Reply
The collar does not even come close to preventing mouth breathing. My experience was that I slept some of the time with my mouth closed when using a collar, as opposed to mouth-breathing 100% of the time without it.

I tried to use nasal pillows with a collar, and I was mouth breathing about 70-80% of the night. Basically a complete fiasco!
Post Reply Post Reply
Rich, great news. I hope you will put a review into the reviews forum, or comment in the review of the collar you are using. This helps others to learn that the first collar may not be representative of potential success or comfort of trying until the right size or model is used. Great results! Your AHI is significantly reduced, but also your sleep is no longer fragmented and the pressure is much more constant without the big spikes and jolts you had before.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Chronic's Story chronic 19 755 6 hours ago
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Help - 1 year CPAP - not success - help very welcome! leono85 46 3,026 8 hours ago
Last Post: Macka
  Recommended soft cervical collar? Ynot 7 524 04-11-2024, 09:48 AM
Last Post: cps22
  Data Comparison - Cervical Collar vs No Cervical Collar phoen1kx 9 312 03-27-2024, 11:26 AM
Last Post: phoen1kx
Arrow Your Personal CPAP Success Story - Post Here SuperSleeper 1,364 629,250 03-24-2024, 07:19 PM
Last Post: SuperSleeper
  Has anyone had success with ONLY a soft cervical collar? ranvanman 7 628 02-26-2024, 09:49 AM
Last Post: ranvanman
  Long story short chronic 5 416 02-18-2024, 03:43 PM
Last Post: chronic

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.