Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Poll: Do you feel chest pain after your CPAP Session?
This poll is closed.
No
37.50%
3 37.50%
Yes, but it went away after awhile.
50.00%
4 50.00%
Yes, and it still happens till now.
12.50%
1 12.50%
Total 8 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Chest Discomfort upon waking up
Chest Discomfort upon waking up
Hi Apnea Family,

I am on my 3rd week of being on a CPAP machine and my sometimes my chest has some slight pain or discomfort. This is especially prominent when I do deep breaths. I'm assuming this is because the CPAP creates pressure and basically stretches out my lungs overnight like a balloon? This may also be because my lungs/chest is getting used to the machine still.

Just wondering if anyone out there experiences this also? And if this goes away after awhile? My APAP machine usually places my 95% Max at 11-13 FYI.
Take control of your machine
pick your weapon (ResScan/ OSCAR)
and be informed guys!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Chest Discomfort upon waking up
Obviously, any chest pain should be referred to your GP, if only to be sure it isn't heart-related.

One possible cause, if it is indeed only when using PAP, is aerophagia (swallowed air). It's very common among PAP users and can produce chest and back pain, rather like reflux.
Post Reply Post Reply
This is not uncommon. Your chest muscles are doing some extra work at night now, and they are probably a little sore from the exercise. This should go away over time.

I hope things are otherwise going well for you.
Post Reply Post Reply
I had some chest pain when first starting out with CPAP.  Not much, mind you, but just a small amount that disappeared a few minutes after waking. And yes, it was more pronounced if I breathed in deeply.

At some point, the pain went away.  Can't say exactly when, because it's been several years, but I'm pretty sure it didn't last for more than a week or two for me.

But, yeah, if the pain persists, definitely go to the doctor and see if something else is causing it, other than the CPAP.

Coffee
SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
I would like to see your daily charts.

Step 1: see your gp today .

Chest pain is nothing to ignore. In all likelihood it is not a heart issue, but step 1 is to eliminate that possibility.

Step 2:. Assuming it is Aerophagia decrease your max pressure. Ideally I would make this based on your daily charts but eliminating the top 10% or so of your pressure. What I would choose could vary quite a bit depending on the shape of your pressure graph.
Post Reply Post Reply
I think it’s fairly normal. If your concentrating too much on your breathing, you may be putting more effort into it without realizing. It’s the same as staring a new exercise.

I did experience this when I first started, but if I remember correctly, it went away within a week or two.

But yes, if it continues, see your doctor.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks everyone! This puts my mind at ease, if it persists I will visit my doctor. But I'll give it a month. My details to my first few weeks are in this link.

Overall my journey has been great. I've even been hitting the gym in the morning with my wife since I now have more prolonged energy throughout the day. My doctor said I have to lose about 20 lbs also so good luck to me!
Take control of your machine
pick your weapon (ResScan/ OSCAR)
and be informed guys!
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Treatment] Waking up 10+ times a night Valtor 5 104 1 hour ago
Last Post: Valtor
Sad [Treatment] 10 Months In and Still Waking Up After 4 to 5 Hours Burnsy 3 289 03-14-2024, 11:37 AM
Last Post: Burnsy
  [CPAP] Persistant night waking - Oscar results help please philjones 0 158 03-07-2024, 05:39 PM
Last Post: philjones
Sad [Symptoms] Traumatic life event. Now I'm waking up every night suffocating. BostonEngineer 9 399 03-03-2024, 12:44 PM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  Waking up often Omenislost 3 260 03-01-2024, 10:51 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Anxiety dreams all night and waking up anxious Clementine39 1 192 02-23-2024, 02:10 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
Gross [Treatment] Waking up frequently and not feeling rested snoor 3 307 02-21-2024, 11:27 AM
Last Post: snoor

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.