Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Cheyne Stokes Respiration?
Cheyne Stokes Respiration?
            [attachment=30564][attachment=30564][attachment=30564]I've been on my cpap for a couple of months.  I changed to a nasal mask and wore it last night.  It showed I have numberous apneas but one that caught my eye that I have never had was a Cheyne Stokes Respiration.  This scared me.  What does that mean.

Here are my charts:
Thanks   
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Cheyne Stokes Respiration?
Unfortunately, Resmed labels variable breathing as CSR. It rarely actually meets the clinical definition of CSR and is instead an oscillation of tidal volume that falls into a pattern. You need to zoom in on the shaded event to actually see what is going on. When CSR is flagged for this short period of time, and is bracketed by CA events, it's a good bet that your respiration increased and decreased several times in a feedback loop resulting from being near your "apneic threshold". CSR is frequently associated with heart failure, and it is extremely unlikely you would be unaware of CSR if it was actually a problem.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for your reply.  I zoomed in as request.  I hope this is helpful. I just saw that and I scared me.;(

Attached are more pictures.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Thanks   
Post Reply Post Reply
Common periodic breathing resulting from a feedback loop at the apneic threshold. Often starts with an apnea followed by hyperventilation which lowers CO2 (hypocapnea). That reduces respiratory drive and sometimes results in hypopnea or central apnea which increases CO2 (hypercapnea) and increases respiratory drive. It is a feedback loop, so it repeats until it works itself out your system and respiration normalizes. This article is extreme overkill, but covers the subject https://physoc.onlinelibrary.wiley.com/d...004.028985
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Ok. So you think this is not CVR but variable breathing? Anything I should change? I'm trying to sleep on my side but found myself on my back which I know is worse for apneas.
Thanks   
Post Reply Post Reply
The periodic breathing and apneic threshold arises out of pressure support or EPR. You can probably reduce the extent of that by reducing the EPR setting.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply
Ok I'll change the EPR from 2 to 1

Could you omment on the zoomed in graphs. Do they tell you anything that says it's probably not CSR. I see my pulmonogist on Monday for cpap follow up.
Thanks   
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm not a chart reading guru, but if you had CSR you'd have pretty major health indications and a cardiac doctor that would tell you that you have a heart condition after a series of tests like echocardiogram and nuclear stress tests and all kinds of other things. As I understand it, you'd not have to guess. It's highly likely the misflag issue. Certainly you can mention it to the doc just to be sure.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I'll just add, if you complain about CSR with a pulmonologist based on 9-minutes of variable breathing, you will be totally discredited as someone self-diagnosing on the internet. I'm sure the doctor will have more comforting words, but, let me assure you CSR looks a lot different and lasts a lot longer. This problem will not resurface when you reduce EPR to 1. Prove me wrong.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply
Lol. Okay...
Thanks   
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Cheynes stoke respiration, false flag or accurate? BDGold99 1 89 Yesterday, 04:09 PM
Last Post: Jay51
  How bad is this really? CSA & Cheyne Stokes Little Olive 7 242 03-12-2024, 02:46 PM
Last Post: Little Olive
  CPAP not helping with sleep. Cheyne-Stokes or PB? BigBobulous 3 177 03-11-2024, 06:42 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] Cheyne Stokes Respiration and Central Apnea Clusters Aldiorg 8 820 02-19-2024, 04:11 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  [Equipment] Simultaneous Reporting of Cheyne-Stokes Respiration (CSR) and Central Apnea (CA) Aldiorg 3 291 02-19-2024, 03:57 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Question OSCAR: Cheyne Stokes listed in event summary list but can't find a single event eyeloveeyez 5 328 02-12-2024, 09:03 PM
Last Post: eok361
  Respiration Rate wickedsleepy 11 501 02-08-2024, 04:23 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.