Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Cheyne Stokes and ResMed, how to interpret
Cheyne Stokes and ResMed, how to interpret
Last night had first ever report of supposed Cheyne Stokes events.  Wondering how significant or concerning such report is.  Have seen past suggestions on Apnea Board that ResMed perhaps mislabels such?  (With previous Phillips Dreamstation I had only occasional "periodic breathing" reports but they were only in the under 2% range, well below the 7.8% CS last night).

Also just changed settings last night on ResMed S10 Autoset from Pressure=9-13 and EPR=2 to Pressure=10-13.4 and EPR=3 in effort to decrease leaks.  With intent to go higher yet on pressure if there is improvement.  Seems the change helped the leak situation but wondering if there could be any connection with supposed CS and these changes.  (Regrettably my Viatom ring went dead in middle of night so data for oxygen is only partial.)  Screen shots attached.

Any advice on the CS question or other further recommendations would be most welcome.  Thank you.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Cheyne Stokes and ResMed, how to interpret
Whenever you see CSR on ResMed think Periodic breathing. All PB should be checked for bad things such as CSR, it very, very rarely is. CSR is lengthy, PB typically is much shorter. Unless a comorbidity such as CHF is present it's not CHF.
Likely what you are seeing is Treatment emergent central Apnea which is CO2 driven and honestly can look like CHF. The increased EPR induced more flushing out of your system resulting in fluctuation around you apneic threshold this causing central Apneas. The easy fix is to cut EPR back to 2
Post Reply Post Reply
The majority of events in the periodic breathing segments are flagged as obstructive, so I’m not sure the EPR is the culprit. But there’s no harm in experimenting with dropping the EPR back down to 2.

Re leaks: have you tried looking on line for videos about how to fit your mask? And are there changes to your pillow or sleep position that might help? Do you have the option of trying another brand of mask? And finally, are you sure you couldn’t use a nasal pillow mask?
Post Reply Post Reply
Unless your heart or kidneys have a medical issue, CSR isn't on the books. CSR on the chart is periodic breathing.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question Please help interpret data to improve treatment length during the night GalaxyPast 3 141 04-14-2024, 07:53 PM
Last Post: GalaxyPast
  CPAP not helping with sleep. Cheyne-Stokes or PB? BigBobulous 4 264 04-11-2024, 11:20 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  can someone help me interpret these? Mshull 4 204 04-11-2024, 04:26 PM
Last Post: Jay51
  [Diagnosis] Cheyne Stokes Respiration & Severe OSA Keymom0122 2 92 04-08-2024, 12:54 PM
Last Post: Keymom0122
  Help to interpret "Events per Hour" data Fritz1255 1 150 03-30-2024, 12:23 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  [CPAP] Please help me interpret my results baganaz 2 231 03-14-2024, 12:48 PM
Last Post: baganaz
  [CPAP] Cheyne Stokes Respiration and Central Apnea Clusters Aldiorg 8 866 02-19-2024, 04:11 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.