Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] Have not slept well for over a month, any assistance appreciated
Question 
Have not slept well for over a month, any assistance appreciated
Hello,

I was diagnosed with sleep apnea in December 2020. I've been using a Phillips Dreamstation, which was replaced with a Dreamstation 2 because of the recall.

Treatment was working well most of the time with the occasional "off" periods. However since January I have been unable to get a good night's sleep. I've had an appointment with my sleep doctor but I don't think he was very helpful besides tweaking the settings on my CPAP.

I've attached a screenshot from OSCAR, please let me know any additional information I can provide. Thanks in advance for any help or advice.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Have not slept well for over a month, any assistance appreciated
I think we need to address the "clusters" of Obstructives.  What I see is "positional apnea", and is usually caused from "chin tucking".  

Many here have used a "soft" cervical collar to help with this.  Take note of how you are sleeping.  A too tall pillow can cause your head to tilt forward into your chest.  This cuts off your air and can occur while sleeping on your back or side.  A thinner pillow works better.

This link will help guide you in choosing the right collar to use.

http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...cal_Collar

I do think you need a higher minimum pressure, but know that it may not help much until you get the positional apnea under control.  It's worth a try to use a minimum pressure that's closer to your median pressure.  So let's move it up to 10cm for now.

Once the chin tucking is under control, the Obstructives and Hypopnea should lessen.

Also, lower the AFlex setting from 3 to 2.  A setting if 3 has shown to be disruptive and seems to cause variable breathing.  

Minimum pressure 10cm
Maximum pressure 15cm
AFlex 2

Work on getting a collar, as you are adjusting these settings.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Have not slept well for over a month, any assistance appreciated
Small advice i can give you from my own experience with obstructive apnea would be to sleep on the side and pull down the pillow under your neck, as to force position your chin upt ( until you get a collar, or if you cant use one like me ).
I've did multiple adjustments with one pillow , two pillows, a big one and a smaller one until i found a good sleeping position where my back would not hurt after just a few hours of sleep; and as of late i even got myself an ergonomic pillow that works ok with how i sleep.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  I need sleep badly! Any help with OSCAR is appreciated Quitethe1 77 1,731 2 hours ago
Last Post: Quitethe1
  1 Month In - Some Questions rarmstrong26 4 159 Yesterday, 06:45 PM
Last Post: jcp519
Question Not Sure if Setting Changes Helping - Help Appreciated! WiscoKate 6 158 03-25-2024, 11:54 AM
Last Post: WiscoKate
  One month in and could use help RTC75321 2 154 03-20-2024, 06:46 PM
Last Post: RTC75321
  ResMed S9 AutoSet and OSCAR - Help Appreciated Slippy 12 480 03-16-2024, 08:56 AM
Last Post: Slippy
  APAP optimization assistance jayed53 9 434 03-14-2024, 03:13 PM
Last Post: jayed53
  [Treatment] Low O2 After Almost a Month of Therapy somewherein413 36 1,042 03-14-2024, 01:07 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.