Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Chinstrap recommendations?
Chinstrap recommendations?
Hi all, I am finally falling asleep with a CPAP (yes!) but being woken up from my jaw/lips relaxing and the air escaping through my mouth. I am using a nasal pillow mask.

I am planning on getting a chin strap and possibly adding in some mouth tape to correct this issue.

The thing is, I am having trouble finding a well reviewed chin strap online. Where can I find a good chin strap? Bonus points if there is a physical location I can grab one.

Thanks in advance.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Chinstrap recommendations?
Important thing about chin straps is to make sure they pull upward, not back at an angle towards the crown of the head. Pulling the jaw back cause more obstruction in the upper airway. There are several reviews for chin straps in the Product Review forums.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I've yet to get one, but I've heard several say that the Knightsbridge Dual Band Supplier #37 is very good if you don't mind a cap based strap.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I bought the Knightsbridge cap. It will keep your jaw shut, but it won't help when your mouth relaxes and blows air out your mouth. You'll still need tape, and you'll have to go through that finding what works for your shape of your mouth.

I found it really worthless for this. Also, the cap is warm, and depending on your hair, feel itchy at first.

As a positive, it worked better, as far as comfort, as opposed to the neoprene ones you can buy on Amazon, and what Sleeprider indicated that it doesn't push your jaw back.
Post Reply Post Reply
One of the first things I read about for mouth sealing was using denture adhesive. Smear some on your lips and around the corners of your mouth like lip balm and press your lips closed tightly. In the morning, use a little bit of effort to open up your mouth and wipe it off with a washcloth. A tube is cheaper than buying mouth tape all the time...
Post Reply Post Reply
I have used the Pap Cap chinstrap by Pur Sleep for years and really like it. It does pull straight up and is more comfortable than the Knightsbridge cap/chinstrap. I used to to be able to just wear the pap cap but now am having to tape my mouth. I normally can get by with just using the Somnifix mouth strip but some nights will use medical tape over the Somnfix. And now due to positional apnea’s (chin tucking) I have to wear a soft cervical collar as well.
Post Reply Post Reply
I bought 2 of the Knightsbridge Dual Straps.

I've had 3 of the Pap Caps...

Now I have a good routine putting it on, the Knightsbridge Dual Strap works amazingly well
DaveL
compliant for 35 years /// Still trying!

I'm just a cpap user like you. I don't give medical advice. Seek the advice of a physician before seeking treatment for medical conditions including sleep apnea. Sleep-well

http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php..._The_Guide

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Pulse oximeter recommendations? p123 15 1,223 03-26-2024, 04:57 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  battery backup recommendations as10/as11 eok361 53 4,337 03-21-2024, 05:10 PM
Last Post: robbob2112
  Full Face Mask Recommendations for Minimal Bounce with Pressure Support Unkikonki 15 527 03-14-2024, 03:00 PM
Last Post: RLRoth
  Recommendations to optimize settings roost 8 627 03-06-2024, 04:51 PM
Last Post: roost
  Any change recommendations to machine? NativTxn 2 319 02-17-2024, 03:28 PM
Last Post: NativTxn
  Replace mask: recommendations too often? BlueSky1958 1 246 01-28-2024, 10:22 AM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  Recommendations for national suppliers? HenryBowman 2 391 01-04-2024, 09:51 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.