Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Christmas Rash: Airfit P10 Headgear
Christmas Rash: Airfit P10 Headgear
Happy Holidays to all,

Writing to ask if anyone else has had this experience:

I am a regular user of the Resmed Airfit P10 mask. The headgear was due for replacement, so I received a nice new one yesterday (exactly identical) and slept with it on last night. 

I didn't look in the mirror on my way downstairs, but at breakfast my wife said, "Have you noticed you've broken out all across your cheekbones?"

Sure enough, I look like I have a case of measles confined to the exact area where the headgear straps come across my cheeks.

It's quite red and has become itchy (itchiness being a dead giveaway for an allergic response).

This has not happened to me before with Airfit headgear. Anyone else have this happen? 

I'm presently washing it in some mild soap to see if I can "get out" whatever is causing this. (Sizing; starch; detergent or other chemical from the factory; new or different material in the underlying frame itself???) Thanks for any input.

-G.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Christmas Rash: Airfit P10 Headgear
I'm using an AirFit F20 FFM. Have been doing so now for well over one year. Occasionally, I get a contact rash from where the straps make contact with my skin. 

I tend to sweat a bit at night, and that only makes matters worse. But, for the most part, it's not a big deal. The rashes seem to come & go. 

I can go a month or two and no rashes. Then, all of a sudden, I wake up and my skin is irritated. 

I just figure it's the cost of doing CPAP therapy.  Dont-know
Post Reply Post Reply
Pad-a-Cheek makes a strap cover for the P 10, and there are some other brands out there. Judging from customer reviews, that might help with your problem. Good luck!
Post Reply Post Reply
Someone else recently posted here about the same problem. Perhaps that post has some resolution?
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks! Found that thread.

Suggestions were to use pads/covers for the cheek straps, and also to try washing the headgear (which I now have done). The OP did not post results (yet).

Best, 

-- G.
Post Reply Post Reply
Ok. Good research! I hope you both find relief.

As an aside... I was thinking of ordering the P10 from my DME, and now I'm a bit worried, since my skin is very sensitive.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have allergy to almost eveything and the P10 mask didn't bother my cheecks at all. used it fresh out of the bag too.
It did leave some red irritation spots on my nostrild. I put vaseline on them and they disappeared pretty quicjly.
I actually like thr P10 better than my ffm, it's much more comfortable. YmMV.
Jeff8356

MacBook Air (2017, Intel) | macOS Monterey (12.7) | OSCAR v1.5.1 | VM = Win10/Win11 |
How to Links:
Installing OSCAR on a Mac
Organizing your OSCAR charts
Attaching screenshots and files for the forum
OSCAR Help
OSCAR - The Guide

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-25-2019, 11:46 PM)Hydrangea Wrote: I was thinking of ordering the P10 from my DME, and now I'm a bit worried, since my skin is very sensitive.

I have washed it a couple of times and will try it again tonight.

I think you may like the mask if you try it. There are many fans of it on the site. My nasal passages are always somewhat blocked due to my deviated septum and obstructing turbinates, and the P10 does the best job of "powering through" all but a completely stuffed nose.

I find the pillows very comfortable. The biggest downside for me, which many others have mentioned, is that the headgear is somewhat insubstantial and the straps lose their tension over a relatively short time. Resmed has stubbornly clung to this headgear, but in a token gesture of accommodation now includes two  tiny clips with the mask that can be used to gather/tighten loose strap material. 

I'm on my third issue of this mask and still rely on it!
Post Reply Post Reply
I had the same problem (headgear tension) so I modified it. I used an old Brevida headgear & fitted it to the P10 mask.

Posted pictures, easy to see was I've done. Works great for me, now I only buy cushions.

The only thing, to stay within adjustment space I've cut the excessive material in the back (+- 2in.- depending size of head) & sew together.

Btw I still use the roll towel idea with my eliminator collar. Can't sleep without it! Thank you.

sb.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
(12-26-2019, 01:39 PM)snorybob Wrote: Btw I still use the roll towel idea with my eliminator collar. Can't sleep without it! Thank you.

Snorybob what’s the roll towel idea?
Download OSCAR <——— Click
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Equipment] Brevida mask with Evora headgear BeauPetitNez 10 1,819 04-16-2024, 01:56 PM
Last Post: BeauPetitNez
Gross EVIDENCE OF AIRFIT P10 VENT OBSTRUCTION CAUSING HYPERCAPNIA mdmarmd 139 35,667 04-12-2024, 05:52 PM
Last Post: Sheepish
  Introducing the ResMed AirFit F40 MrIvanDrago 72 5,678 04-08-2024, 03:47 PM
Last Post: yankees123
  [Equipment] Headgear for very large heads NogginOff 5 279 04-01-2024, 12:54 PM
Last Post: Cpapian
  AirFit F30 current user, looking for alternatives KSMatthew 22 4,515 03-28-2024, 11:23 PM
Last Post: Lanners
  AirFit F30i Mask Problem OldTeacher 22 4,950 03-23-2024, 03:23 PM
Last Post: ButtonNoseBarbie
  AirFit F20 Irritating Nose Bridge SavvApnea 40 7,295 03-10-2024, 01:38 PM
Last Post: TechieHippie

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.