Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Cleaning Climate-control tube on ResMed Air Sense 10
RE: Cleaning Climate-control tube on ResMed Air Sense 10
Push the reservoir into the machine and then give it a light smack with your open hand to seat it.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-21-2017, 07:15 PM)Melman Wrote:
(08-21-2017, 04:08 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: Since our CPAP equipment is generally not shared, good hygiene is sufficient and disinfection is not needed.  The tubing is not really a supportive enfionrment for microbes, and any that will be there, are common in your home.

Someone mentioned not being a microbiologist. I am. I spent 17 years as a medical microbiologist and 20 years in the sterile pharmaceutical industry specializing in microbial environmental control and troubleshooting contamination issues. I have been on CPAP for 10 years and agree 100% with Sleeprider. I seldom wash my humidifier or hose, and then only with mild detergent. I wash my mask every few weeks or if I see residue on it. I do wash the cushions daily, but to remove face oils, not microorganisms.

I will add that mild detergents may not be bactericidal but they are quite effective at removing microorganism and any residues that may support their growth from plastic surfaces. Virtually all disinfectants contain toxic chemicals that if not completely removed may do more harm than the low levels of environmental bacteria that may be present.

Thanks for the info Melman.

I clean all my CPAP parts in a 6.5 liter ultrasonic cleaner about once-a-month with baby shampoo and warm tap water.  Everything fits in the tank for one 15-minute cycle then is rinsed in tap water.  Then everything except the hose is air dried for the rest of the day.  It seemed that I could hang up the hose all day and it would still be damp inside.

So I invented the Kashi cleaning method.  Yeah, just kidding.  But with stuff I had lying around the house, it worked out just great.  I cut up a cereal box and used a little battery fan that we take to the ballpark when we go watch ball games.  I hang the intake part of the hose pointing downward and off the dresser dangling in free air.  With the fan on low speed, the inside of the hose is completely dry in 1/2 hour to an hour.

I also use CPAP wipes on the cushion, frame and mask/hose connector/elbow daily.  Been doing this for a little over a year with great success.  Love the baby shampoo smell too.

[Image: attachment.php?aid=16874]

[Image: attachment.php?aid=16875]

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

RayBee

~ Self-Treatment - via ApneaBoard experts.
~ Self-Pay - no help from Kaiser other than getting my script, then a pat on the butt and out the door.
~ Self-Educated - via ApneaBoard experts, its many users, and posted reference material.
~ Complex Apnea - All Night AHI=34.2/h, Supine AHI=45.5/h
~ Using a 2021 16" MacBook Pro M1 Max, 32 GB, 1 TB, macOS Monterey V12.6.2.
~ Pay no attention to the dog behind the cup, he ain't a docta, and does not give medical advise.
~ Woof, woof.

I-love-Apnea-Board
Post Reply Post Reply
New and improved Kashi Dry. Now for a limited time, you get a free cereal snack while you wait on CPAP equipment to dry.

Hey if it works...
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Box of Kashi... $2.99
Battery powered fan... $19.99
Kashi hose dryer... Priceless
Laugh-a-lot
RayBee

~ Self-Treatment - via ApneaBoard experts.
~ Self-Pay - no help from Kaiser other than getting my script, then a pat on the butt and out the door.
~ Self-Educated - via ApneaBoard experts, its many users, and posted reference material.
~ Complex Apnea - All Night AHI=34.2/h, Supine AHI=45.5/h
~ Using a 2021 16" MacBook Pro M1 Max, 32 GB, 1 TB, macOS Monterey V12.6.2.
~ Pay no attention to the dog behind the cup, he ain't a docta, and does not give medical advise.
~ Woof, woof.

I-love-Apnea-Board
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  please help me make sense of my central apneas p4ncaketim 27 604 Yesterday, 04:21 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Question on the Hybernite Rainout control tube runcyclexcski 2 109 03-21-2024, 05:29 AM
Last Post: runcyclexcski
  Well, I thought I had AHI under control... LookingForACleverHandle 15 972 03-18-2024, 08:19 PM
Last Post: LookingForACleverHandle
  cleaning CPAP tube sleepingbetterinFl 6 226 03-14-2024, 10:34 AM
Last Post: apnea505
  [CPAP] ResMed Air Sense 10 Auto Off Problem Buddie43 19 26,352 03-05-2024, 10:50 PM
Last Post: Ailyhsaun
  [Equipment] ResMed Airtouch F20 Cushion cleaning with drool problems. Funkmonkey 2 172 03-05-2024, 04:08 PM
Last Post: Funkmonkey
  Does EPAP or IPAP control hypopneas? MrIvanDrago 3 247 02-29-2024, 05:08 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.