Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[split] MyAir Scoring
[split] MyAir Scoring
Seems like there is a dislocation between the scoring on the Airsense 10/MyAir  and what one's sleep lab/DME recommends. Airsense 10/Resmed wants one to use the device for 7 hours to get the maximum score, and one is encouraged to strive for scores of 100. It seems to me that more weight should be attached to the events per hour and mask leak scores than to the amount of time used. On the app, 7 hours (and over) of usage gives you 70, mask seal max is worth 20, events per hour is worth 5 and number of times the mask is removed is 5.

In striving for the perfect 100, am I paying too much attention to hours of usage? My Sleep lab wants 4 hours or greater of usage, but the 4 hour minimum would give you 40, not 70 points. Many times I feel that 7 hours sleep per night is too much for me. For example, often I'll wake up at 4:30, but know that I need an additional hour to reach the magic 7. Trouble is, during that last hour I often experience lots of CAs.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Usage hours?
I don't worry about the numbers from myAir. Some nights, like Saturday, I only get about 5 hours as I need to be up at 5 for church (lead A/V guy so I have to get there early). Other nights I may get 8 or 9 depending on my schedule and when I went to bed the night before. The only numbers I really care about are AHI (events per hour) and whether I had a good mask seal or not. If my AHI looks high or really odd, then I will download the card into OSCAR.

I think the reason the sleep lab pushes for 4 hours is that is the daily usage that is used by most insurers to gauge compliance. They only care about how long you are using the machine and not whether you got a good night's sleep or not. We know our bodies and how much sleep we really need. I don't know how long you have used myAir but from time to time they send you badges when you make certain milestones.

Key takeaway - use your machine to make you feel like you had a good night's sleep and don't worry about their arbitrary scoring system.
Homer

Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Monitors are also Advisory Members, just with Extra Work assigned.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: [split] MyAir Scoring
Thanks for the re-assurance. I turned off the award badge function way back. I've been on CPAP since the Fall of 2020. It has made a major difference. My wife says I am so quiet when asleep that she thinks I'm dead! Energy is fine with no tiredness or brain-fog. My original sleep study had my AHI above 57. Over the last 14 months my daily average is 1.95 with leakage <2. The reason for my previous post was that I had seen some information (including one of the Lanky Lefty videos) that discuss the possibility of false  CAs. They link it to not being in a deep (or REM) sleep, starting to wake-up. Most of the time CAs are about 60-70% of my total score and happen around 4-4:30 in the morning - when I often do wake-up and check the clock.
Post Reply Post Reply
>>> I turned off the award badge function way back.

I thought the awards were the most amusing part of myAir... Big Grin
Apnea Board Monitors are members who help oversee the smooth functioning of the Board. They are also members of the Advisory Committee which helps shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-21-2022, 10:10 PM)SingingWolf Wrote: In striving for the perfect 100, am I paying too much attention to hours of usage? 

Eat-popcorn  This should be good.  There's a lot of bias against the MyAir reports in the forum.  Waiting to hear the responses!!  Big Grin

As for me, I ignore everything in the MyAir except for the AHI number and the mask seal.  I wish it would give the 95% pressure reading like the AirMini app does, but for some reason (which I believe is a disconnected strategy on bluetooth and modern wearables at ResMed) but it doesn't.  Have to haul out OSCAR or ReScan for that...

As for the 4 hours, I agree with Homerec130 and believe that's a hold-over on compliance requirements from Medicare and thus adopted by every insurer.  From what I've read, medical wisdom is for a sliding scale of hours of sleep based on age.  For my mid-50s (getting closer to high-50s or even 60s!) the recommended time is between 7 and 8 hours per night.  That's what I strive for, but ultimately, it comes down to how I feel.  Do I feel tired during the day?  or not...
Post Reply Post Reply
I don't think the forum has a great deal of bias against MyAir, it just has limited value for optimizing therapy because it is entirely focused on encouraging compliance or use-hours. We have seen users with good MyAir scores have very poor therapy efficacy because AHI is a minor factor, and lesser events like flow limitation don't even enter into the equation. I think of MyAir as a tool for DMEs, and doctors which are only concerned with hours of use. They actually get to see AirView which has data approaching what we see in Oscar if they care to look. If a bias exists against MyAir it is because the program insults the intelligence of users and prevents them from acquiring useful data to participate in their own therapy decisions....I guess that sort of proves your point.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Split night sleep study Bwanajohn51 0 63 03-20-2024, 01:07 PM
Last Post: Bwanajohn51
  [split] Doctor won't help improve Vauto settings JohnCondor 7 523 02-19-2024, 04:20 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  [split] Central and Complex apneas with CPAP JohnCondor 3 277 02-16-2024, 01:24 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [split]Innisfree - Therapy Thread Innisfree 1 232 01-09-2024, 07:56 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Hypopnea - Resmed scoring Opus1 22 1,110 12-03-2023, 11:25 AM
Last Post: Opus1
  3% vs 4% Hypopnea Scoring gohoos1998 7 1,044 10-08-2023, 06:06 PM
Last Post: gohoos1998
Question Resmed Myair wrong region bobdobbs 3 574 10-05-2023, 08:12 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.