Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Clear airway events after waking and going back to sleep
RE: Clear airway events after waking and going back to sleep

[attachment=16749 Wrote:Sleeprider pid='317987' dateline='1572878495'][attachment=16750]I agree with bonjour's previous recommendation for a higher minimum pressure of 8.0, and would not be reluctant to set it as high as 9.0 contingent on comfort. There is sufficient evidence of obstruction and flow limitation in these charts, that higher pressure seems to be indicated, and the Philips is not particularly good at getting there without setting the minimum high enough.  This is particularly true when an individual does not snore as we see here.  Resmed's Autoset will quickly raise pressure on flow limitation, but Philips will just sit there at minimum pressure.  

What Flex setting are you using?  Please consider posting a close-up of the chart (2-minute segments) in areas where you are concerned about events. We can actually interpret whether the events are arising from flow restriction or other causes.  Also, you mentioned that you may be using a pillow that is too tall causing your neck to flex forward and closing off the airway. This is very common, and you should read the wikis under my signature for Soft Cervical Collar and Optimizing Therapy, with a focus on the section for Positional Apnea.
See charts.  One is focused on the CA event and other focused on RERA.

I am using a flex of 3.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
You're probably going to need to zoom in even closer to see something like this:

[attachment=16755]
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-04-2019, 11:17 AM)SarcasticDave94 Wrote: You're probably going to need to zoom in even closer to see something like this:

Post Reply Post Reply
We see some flow limits in those results, especially in the closeup from 03:50, and that is a pretty severe FL at 03:51:40 with a snore. The increased flow rate following that suggests an arousal, and is why the RERA is flagged. The first thing I think I'd like to try is to just back the Flex setting off to 2. I never had a lot of luck with Flex at 3. It doesn't really give any more pressure relief in exhale, but a setting of 3 seems to have poor timing for the pressure relief. These latest charts really show a need for minimum pressure at 8.0-8.5.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Good morning.  First, I appreciate all your help and input.  My Dr. only looks at averages and not the time stamped event data, so I haven't got much help.  My followup is next week and I'm sure he'll be surprised when I walk in with my laptop and OSCAR running.

Please take a look at last nights data.  Good night on average.  But the one thing I cannot figure out is why do the CA's occur after I wake to go to bathroom and trying to fall asleep.  If you go through all of my charts, the majority of CA's will occur near the time I go back to bed.  One other oddity,,,if I wake up early in the evening,,,say 2:00-3:00, I fall back to deep sleep and don't seen the have many CA events.  But if I wake up at 4:00 or so, then I have lots of CA's and can't get back into a good sleep.

Is this normal.

Also, I agree on raising P to 8.

Thanks again.

Post Reply Post Reply
Your breathing in your shortened segments are abnormal as they show nearly equal inhale and exhale instead of an extended exhale. This would promote a more efficient washing out of CO2 from your blood thus causing the Central Apneas. This is not typical of your night as evidenced by the nightly averages in the statistics section. Your breathing is very regular which is unusual for awake, but it may be your awake tell.

Comments.
Post Reply Post Reply
THanks for the reply.  You are right that it wasn’t typical, but better than average.  Don’t know why.  No difference in consumption of food or alcohol, similar schedule of eating and bedtime,,,,don’t know.  But, even though I had less events, they are still similar in that the CA’s occur after returning to bed and trying to fall back asleep.  

I’m not conscious of my breathing, so not sure about inhale/exhale durations.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-05-2019, 07:42 AM)Mpadgett714 Wrote: Good morning.  First, I appreciate all your help and input.  My Dr. only looks at averages and not the time stamped event data, so I haven't got much help.  My followup is next week and I'm sure he'll be surprised when I walk in with my laptop and OSCAR running.

Please take a look at last nights data.  Good night on average.  But the one thing I cannot figure out is why do the CA's occur after I wake to go to bathroom and trying to fall asleep.  If you go through all of my charts, the majority of CA's will occur near the time I go back to bed.  One other oddity,,,if I wake up early in the evening,,,say 2:00-3:00, I fall back to deep sleep and don't seen the have many CA events.  But if I wake up at 4:00 or so, then I have lots of CA's and can't get back into a good sleep.

Is this normal.

Also, I agree on raising P to 8.

Thanks again.
It is very normal to have events when awake or just going asleep this is skeep wake junk and if you are aware you are awake then ignore these numbers your machine has no idea if you are awake or not it just records events. The level of CA's are not enough to worry about
Post Reply Post Reply
It also normal to get more CA events in the last 2 to 3 hours of the night. As the night progress, the amount of REM sleep you experience increases and REM sleep breathing can be quite irregular compare to NREM sleep especially if you are dreaming. The machine can flag these events as central apneas even though they are not real apneas.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Trying to Reduce CA Events chrotteg 13 402 2 hours ago
Last Post: stevew168
  Still tired and CA events liebano 1 41 6 hours ago
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  [Treatment] Waking up 10+ times a night Valtor 5 118 Yesterday, 02:10 PM
Last Post: Valtor
  [Treatment] Clear airway / central apnea events -- causes and solutions? mitzvahtime 6 2,406 03-25-2024, 04:10 PM
Last Post: Jay51
Question I'm back, tired, and hopeless. But is Bilevel the answer ?? weuw 83 4,977 03-23-2024, 08:16 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Central events while falling asleep michaelyu15 7 273 03-20-2024, 06:22 PM
Last Post: michaelyu15
  First Day with S9 AutoSet - Many Clear Airway in the morning liuzilong 6 123 03-18-2024, 09:25 PM
Last Post: liuzilong

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.