Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Clear airway is the bulk of my AHI
Clear airway is the bulk of my AHI
Some notes on me, I am in my 30's, physically fit and not overweight but I was diagnosed with OSA (in the UK) from a sleep study giving me an AHI of 36 (when on my back sleeping). The NHS has given me a Resmed Airsense 10, on APAP, 4-20 cmH20. I am using a nasal mask and I don't seem to have an issue sleeping. My treatment seems to have worked reducing any AHI and my wife has told me my snoring is basically gone.

However whenever I look at my numbers in OSCAR basically all my events are Clear Airway - some nights I have very few and other nights quite a few. That said my AHI is still less than 2 overall. What I wanted to know was do these numbers/figures look ok? My pressure is all over and lots of the flow rate doesn't seem very uniform. I am very new to all this, but trying to understand how I am getting on. The NHS has said they are pleased with compliance (time on the machine) and the AHI. They've said I am not on a "contact them if I have a problem basis" as they are happy. Below are a section of days from OSCAR over the course of a week and a bit (as a note I've been using the machine everyday since I got it a month ago).

Thoughts or views would be appreciated.

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Clear airway is the bulk of my AHI
Events are somewhat split between OA and CA. It would be interesting to see the results of your sleep study to see if any CA events were present before CPAP. I think you can improve results by narrowing the range of pressure you see, and you might do well with exhale pressure relief (EPR) which would be more comfortable and resolve the flow limitation. With an AHI consistently below 2.0 you medical team seems pretty satisfied. I would agree that events at this level suggests good therapy, however I think you can optimize your comfort and AHI a bit further.

I'd like you to try changing your pressure range to minimum 6.0, Maximum 930 and turn EPR on full-time at a setting of 2. If you don't know how to access settings, request a setup manual from the link at the top of the page or take a quick look at this tutorial. https://www.apneaboard.com/resmed-airsen...setup-info
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you for the feedback. I'll make some changes on the machine. Am I correct in thinking 6 and 920?! On the cmH2O??
Post Reply Post Reply
that was an inconvenient typo! 6.0 minimum, 9.0 maximum, EPR full-time at 2.0
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Ah thank you. I've modified the EPR. I'll take a look at the pressures!! Last night was an AHI of 2 and it was basically all clear airway. Even the OA looks like it was incorrectly categorised as it has the same pattern as clear airway.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-13-2022, 11:54 AM)Sleeprider Wrote: that was an inconvenient typo! 6.0 minimum, 9.0 maximum, EPR full-time at 2.0

I had the settings change last night (13th) and I cant really see a difference in the data. I will stick with it for the next few days, but it seems almost the same. Below is the 13th, 12th and 11th.

Still quite a lot of Clear Airway and looking at the OA data it seems to be the same as CA - so possibly mis-assigned as OA
Post Reply Post Reply
It doesn't look like you changed your maximum pressure to 9cmw, maybe recheck your settings?

CA events are quite common when starting cpap therapy and usually reduce in time.

Spend some time browsing through the forum wiki articles, lots of good information.
Post Reply Post Reply
As a recap;
Pressure now set on 6 and 9 cmH20
EPR now full time on a setting of 2

Original settings: 
Pressure was 4 and 20 cmH2O
EPR was ramp only

I will feedback results after tonight.
Post Reply Post Reply
Some results (not from last night as I went to a Christmas work party, so booze will have skewed the results) but from the 14th. There is a clustering of CA and OA going on.

Any thoughts would be appreciated. Maybe I need to raise my Max cmH2O slightly?

Post Reply Post Reply
It's more effective to raise minimum pressure than the maximum. This puts you closer to the effective therapy pressure ahead of an event. The pattern of OA shows you are generally near you minimum pressure of 6.0 when each event occurs, so increase the minimum.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Treatment] Clear airway / central apnea events -- causes and solutions? mitzvahtime 6 2,395 03-25-2024, 04:10 PM
Last Post: Jay51
  First Day with S9 AutoSet - Many Clear Airway in the morning liuzilong 6 121 03-18-2024, 09:25 PM
Last Post: liuzilong
  Recently started CPAP -- very high proportion of Clear Airway Events matt2 0 117 03-17-2024, 02:48 PM
Last Post: matt2
  Clear airway Bullabill 3 235 03-12-2024, 02:40 AM
Last Post: stevew168
  Why does my clear airway events keep increasing? deirdrepen 3 267 03-12-2024, 02:37 AM
Last Post: stevew168
  [Treatment] Struggling to reduce Clear Airway events codebread 6 901 02-23-2024, 09:15 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  String of open airway events vinegarben 34 3,896 02-16-2024, 05:18 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.