Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Cold and cpap
Cold and cpap
I have a cold and it’s hard to breathe through my nose.  Are there any suggestions
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Cold and cpap
I can think of three options

1. Antihistamine.
2. Increase pressure
3. Buy a Full Face Mask.

That's all I can think of.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
Concur with Walla Walla. Get antihistamines from your pharmacist for the running nose. If you happen to take NyQuil and it works, you can skip the following.  

Once the nose is cleared and if/when it progresses to a cough which  comes in the night, then you may probably have trouble getting a good nights rest. Keeping the mask on would be next to impossible. I had a really bad cold and suffered through the night coughing and couldn't sleep. A hot toddy just before bed saved me and I was able to keep my wisp on and apap going. Keep the room temp warm as cold air aggravates the coughs. Hot toddy is basically a mixture of hot water, your fav liqueur whiskey/brandy/bourbon, etc and honey. You could add lemon but I'd skip the tea as the caffeine may keep you awake. Google it for more insights and the proportions recipe. Use this only when you have a cold - not for long term regular use  Smile as there may be side effects or something. 

Remember NOT to take alcohol if you are on antihistamines. 

Having a cold and sleep apnea is tough. Hang in there and hope you get well soon.

p/s: the humidifier helps too.
lots-o-coffee
The doctor says coffee does not affect my tinnitus and it's got lots of antioxidants....however, the after dinner drinks are a different matter altogether. 
Post Reply Post Reply
In 10 years of using nasal pillows, I am yet to experience congestion that does not clear with CPAP pressure. Put on the mask and start the machine, then relax and feel your sinuses open and passages clear. Once you are breathing comfortable, go to sleep. The big thing is not to panic as your nasal passages clear and you can finally breath through your nose again. I look forward to getting on the PAP when I have a cold because I breathe better than at any other time of day.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Phyllis,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
If you are using a smaller pillow on your mask, you might try going up to the next size and hopefully, that will help clear your congestion.
Hope you get over your cold, soon.
Good luck with CPAP therapy, hang in there for more responses to your post.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Most colds you can breathe through your pillows. The cpap helps open the system. Worked for 2 years. When I have sinus pressure issues, I use one of the fabric Circadian masks. I had one though where it would not clear and I was glad that I had a full-face mask. The alternative was no cpap machine and that isn't really an option. I bought it from an online place, which is why it's always good to have a copy of your prescription. Most DMEs will not come even close to matching their prices and your insurance doesn't cover 'extra' masks.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have had the most god awful flu for 10 days=the achy body, running nose of the spluttering kind. I have had to resort to anti histamines during my waking hours to operate otherwise I would be a dripping mess.

However, come night time, the nasal pillows clears any congestion, keeps me dry and gives restful sleep.........purrrrrr.
Sleepyhead in 5 easy steps
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
My P10 Nasal pillows clear up all congestion. When I have a really bad one, I up the pressure by 1cm h2o. Works like a charm.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-25-2017, 09:35 AM)Phyllis Wrote: I have a cold and it’s hard to breathe through my nose.  Are there any suggestions

Hi Phyllis,
As others have stated, any congestion is quickly alleviated when using nasal pillows.  I know some folk think they need to use a full face mask when they have a cold, but it really isn’t necessary.

The nasal pillow mask will blast through a congested nose.  

Don’t forget the basics.  Use a safe natural nasal spray night and day and also do an occasional nasal rinse.  A very good nasal spray found on Amazon (XLear) works wonders.  

Good luck..hope you feel better.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Nasal rinse right before bed and after you get up. Increase the humidification, too.

I've never had a problem with using nasal pillows when I have a cold or stuffed allergies. I had more problems when I was using a Full Face Mask, actually. It just didn't clear the airways as well.

As soon as you get up, the passages will refill with nasal crap. Use the nasal rinse. Also consider a humidifier at your desk or wherever. They now make these very small ones that use a regular water bottle (vs their own tank thing).
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Tips for continuing PAP through a cold Bostonsnow 4 535 07-28-2023, 11:55 AM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Head cold Barbara.Levitan 2 597 03-10-2023, 11:23 PM
Last Post: srlevine1
  [Equipment] Cold-weather camping? tundranapper 4 877 05-26-2022, 07:23 AM
Last Post: RNeil
  High pressures causing/worsening cold symptoms Chalkie 4 818 11-26-2021, 08:44 AM
Last Post: Chalkie
  BiPAP advisable with a cold? BobbieM 10 1,234 06-16-2021, 01:47 PM
Last Post: WakeUpTime
  Using CPAP while fighting off a cold or flue AlwaysTired2018 5 881 09-02-2020, 08:16 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
Question When I snooze my alarm, wake up groggy and have high SpO2 100% with hands cold. MyronH 1 945 02-22-2020, 11:50 AM
Last Post: Crimson Nape

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.