Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Confused.....Parents think i am "crazy" . Still tired on APAP trial
Confused.....Parents think i am "crazy" . Still tired on APAP trial
M 23 here,i have been suffering from low energy and depression for a while. I went to a psychiatrist and they wanted me to put on anti depressants .
While researching my symptoms, i came across Sleep Apnea. It matched all the symptoms that i am having. Even before my depression,i never had a rested sleep .
Keeping antidepressants as a last resort due to the side effects(PSSD),i went to a sleep doctor and they gave me a sleep study.

During the sleep study(It was a 2 part study same night),i didnt sleep properly during the first half(maybe 30 minutes) and then the technician put on a cpap machine. 
The end AHI came out to be 2.5 and the doctor said it seemed normal. They still on the basis of my symptoms gave me an APAP Trial.

On Apap Trial, the machine had no SD card but only smartcode capability.

In the first week(nasal mask),The ahi was 9 and 90th pressure was 16.5
In the second week(full mask),the ahi was 3 and 90th pressure was 13

The thing is my trial is over now and i feel even more tired. I am convinced that i have sleep apnea but my parents think that i should take the meds.

I have a doctor's appointment next week ,i am unsure about what to say and expect.

The thing is i don't want to revisit this condition 4-5 years later and realize i could have just fixed it here. I am 23 ,this is supposed to be the high energy phase of my life.Even my grandfather has more energy than me.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Confused.....Parents think i am "crazy" . Still tired on APAP trial
The anti-depressant medicine is not a substitute for CPAP. But depression can cause insomnia and sleep issues can cause or increase depression.

I understand that it is common for machines with communication capabilities to be provided without SD cards. You need a machine with an SD slot and you need to get a card, if it isn't provided. Then you can use the OSCAR software to better understand your apnea and make adjustments. You will have trouble understanding the graphs and statistics, but people on this forum can help. I have actually gotten more help from this forum than from my doctors.
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome to Apnea Board.
I agree with your thinking, a PAP instead of medication.

Just a quick question then a comment.
The AHI of 2.5 at the split sleep study end, was that AHI the end result as in with mask on? If so that's a treated number not untreated like the first no mask section. If you're able find out what the before and after AHI was. Before would be first, no mask section and after is second half with mask. I'm thinking the first half versus second half will be a big difference in AHI. That 2.5 might be the treated number and not the untreated result is the point.

If you do go to get a PAP machine, the very best is the ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet. This is a great choice, but you have to get what you can. This AutoSet is an auto CPAP, it is a lot like BPAP with just a small difference. Even so it's a great choice for most that need a PAP. This is assuming you don't have anything but common apnea.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
It will likely take months of consistent good use to not feel tired. Your body has years of sleep to catch up on. It will take time.
Post Reply Post Reply
Too many people reach for pills or medication as a first, rather than last, resort.  People that are not familiar with apnea may not believe it is “real”, whereas we are all hearing daily about depression or other similar reactions to daily life (especially during this last year).  Do what you feel is best, and don’t let others, regardless of how well intentioned they are, dissuade you from that path.  It’s your health, and only you can decide what is best.

Explain to the doctor that you prefer not to try the medication until you are convinced you do not have apnea.  It can take a considerable time to get used to using the machine and to tweak it for best results.  Don’t give up on that path too quickly.
Post Reply Post Reply
Which antidepressant was prescribed for you and why (in doctors opinion) it was prescribed and not another? Some antidepressants are less likely to cause PSSD, like Trazodone, Bupropione, Agomelatin and others. If for some reason you need to take a medication for insomnia or if these antidepressants doesn't work there are more choices than just antidepressants, each class of medications with its own risks and collateral effects. It is very common to people take nonbenzodiazepine hypnotics too.
Post Reply Post Reply
Keep in mind, some anti depressants can cause side effects that feel like fatigue.

These are common Cymbalta side effects

• Constipation
  • Decreased Appetite
  • Diarrhea
  • Difficulty Sleeping
  • Dizziness
  • Drowsiness
  • Dry Mouth
  • Excessive Sweating
  • Low Energy
  • Nausea
Post Reply Post Reply
If not truly medically required, avoid these types of medications.  Among other medications, I took trazodone - supposedly to help me sleep.  It worked in the beginning.  As time went on, I needed higher dosages to get the same effect.  It made me very groggy and slow in the morning - had brain fog that took hours to wear off.  It was very difficult to stop trazadone - it took nearly a month to get off of it.  Even going from 1/4 dose to zero was a tough transition.  (Intense headaches.)  After trazodone, I was able to get up and get going immediately, it was a huge positive change.  The other medications didn't help either, because they did not treat the problem's root cause, which for me was apnea (UARS).

My personal (non-medical) advice is to pursue looking into whether you have apnea or not.  If you are diagnosed with apnea, know that it is treatable, especially with the help received on AB.
Post Reply Post Reply
sleepytin
(02-01-2021, 05:50 AM)sleepytin Wrote: M 23 here,i have been suffering from low energy and depression for a while. I went to a psychiatrist and they wanted me to put on anti depressants .
While researching my symptoms, i came across Sleep Apnea. It matched all the symptoms that i am having. Even before my depression,i never had a rested sleep .
Keeping antidepressants as a last resort due to the side effects(PSSD),i went to a sleep doctor and they gave me a sleep study.

During the sleep study(It was a 2 part study same night),i didnt sleep properly during the first half(maybe 30 minutes) and then the technician put on a cpap machine. 
The end AHI came out to be 2.5 and the doctor said it seemed normal. They still on the basis of my symptoms gave me an APAP Trial.

On Apap Trial, the machine had no SD card but only smartcode capability.

In the first week(nasal mask),The ahi was 9 and 90th pressure was 16.5
In the second week(full mask),the ahi was 3 and 90th pressure was 13

The thing is my trial is over now and i feel even more tired. I am convinced that i have sleep apnea but my parents think that i should take the meds.

I have a doctor's appointment next week ,i am unsure about what to say and expect.

The thing is i don't want to revisit this condition 4-5 years later and realize i could have just fixed it here. I am 23 ,this is supposed to be the high energy phase of my life.Even my grandfather has more energy than me.

Welcome to the forum! I hope you come back and see the interest that people have taken in helping you.

My own treatment has improved remarkably participating here.  Before I started here, my symptoms remained unchanged for about 25 years. You're in the right place to learn and become your own advocate for care and good health.
DaveL
compliant for 35 years /// Still trying!

I'm just a cpap user like you. I don't give medical advice. Seek the advice of a physician before seeking treatment for medical conditions including sleep apnea. Sleep-well

http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php..._The_Guide

Post Reply Post Reply
As a parent, I understand being inclined to just hope a pill can quickly fix such a sometimes scary thing as depression. I do get that. And I'm also not opposed to that.

But if a CPAP can help, it sure would be a great thing to pursue.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [CPAP] Low AHIs but still tired EntRESTo 0 36 4 hours ago
Last Post: EntRESTo
  Low AHI but still feel tired everyday Abhi 3 186 Yesterday, 11:22 PM
Last Post: Abhi
  New- CA CA-Tired help with settings advice jenjabba 8 169 Yesterday, 01:03 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
Question I'm back, tired, and hopeless. But is Bilevel the answer ?? weuw 83 4,969 03-23-2024, 08:16 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Issues with APAP WWYD FlyingUmbrella683 1 87 03-22-2024, 07:21 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  New APAP machine: Lowenstein Prisma Smart Max Robert Detz 10 367 03-21-2024, 07:58 AM
Last Post: WisNaeMe
  Need help... Brain fog and constantly tired pulseoximeter 4 176 03-18-2024, 10:01 PM
Last Post: pulseoximeter

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.