Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Consistent mask rainout problems
Consistent mask rainout problems
I am having a lot of trouble with having my F&P Brevida mask rain out while I am sleeping. Reading that rain out can occur due to warm air condensing, I've tried a few things to keep the air warm with no avail. I have an AirSense 10, so I bought the heated tubing. I have the machine water temperature and humidity set to Auto. When that still had issues, I wondered if the long tube of the Brevida was the issue as it wasn't heated. So, I bought a tube cover and have it on the machine and Brevida tube. That still has not fixed the issue. Lastly, I am not sure if the tube-machine positioning is the issue. I have my cpap machine on a nightstand next to the bed, and then allow the tube to drop to the floor and then come back up to my face alongside the bed and my body. I have noticed that if I sleep on my side facing the machine it's not as bad, but if I am on back or on my side away from the machine, rain out happens all the time.

Also, I think the moisture is just accumulating within the Nasal cushion of the Brevida. I don't think there is water accumulating in other parts of the tubing, but not sure how to tell exactly.

I am wondering if perhaps the Brevida isn't for me as well. I have a very oily face and the Silicone wears out within two weeks even if I wash it every day. I wondering if something like the ResMed P10 would be better. I just have a giant head and the Brevida has a long, adjustable strap.

Thanks for tips!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Consistent mask rainout problems
cisbrane;
As far as the rainout problem ..  You could set the AS 10 to manual and reduce the humidity 
until it stops .. You can leave the tube heat on auto or switch to manual and raise the temp.
Do You wash Your fase before putting on the mask in the evening ?? There are mask liners 
on the market that may help .. Don't know if one is made for Your mask .. That is all 
I can think of for Your mask problem .. 
Hope this helps .. 
Steve
Post Reply Post Reply
Rainout is caused by the difference in the air temperature in the hose and the room air temperature. 
When the heated air from the humidifier travels through the hose, its temp drops. As the air cools, it condenses and causes droplets of water to form on the inside of the hose. 

Try these things to help with rainout:

Make sure the machine is lower than your head. 
Wrap the hose in a hose cover to keep the air warmer.
Adjust your room temp. The colder your room, the more likely you'll see condensation.
Adjust your humidifier settings. 
Use heated tubing.
My get-up-and-go musta got up and went.  Cool

Download OSCAR for your sleep data.  
https://www.sleepfiles.com/OSCAR

Post Reply Post Reply
I would have the machine lower with a slope in the hose and no dips in the hose. The excess water will simply drain back into the tank. I have my machine in a lower drawer of my nightstand and this works so much better for noise also.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the tips. I will try lowering the machine to the floor and see if that helps me more. I am using all the things I know of to keep it warm - heated tube and a hose cover.
Post Reply Post Reply
Yes.....make sure your machine is lower than your head and use a hose cover as well. When I was using my machine, the hose ran uphill at a steep angle, then back down to my head. I never had rain-out issues. I also used a hose hanger that was on top of our bed's headboard.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Acid problems and pressure build up in mouth Hurdsy 2 110 Yesterday, 10:55 PM
Last Post: Hurdsy
  Tube Temp and Humidity Setting To Avoid Rainout tomkelly 10 275 04-11-2024, 11:11 PM
Last Post: tomkelly
  Anything can be done for baby with breathing problems Ptee8899 2 357 04-09-2024, 05:57 AM
Last Post: OpalRose
  How to prevent rainout? Dariex 6 178 04-08-2024, 10:52 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  Question on the Hybernite Rainout control tube runcyclexcski 2 163 03-21-2024, 05:29 AM
Last Post: runcyclexcski
  [CPAP] PRISMA SMART MAX PROBLEMS WITH SOFTPAP LEVEL 2 rretamalt 18 2,204 03-19-2024, 06:17 PM
Last Post: motivationalGust
  [Equipment] ResMed Airtouch F20 Cushion cleaning with drool problems. Funkmonkey 2 232 03-05-2024, 04:08 PM
Last Post: Funkmonkey

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.