Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Contemplating selling my Phillip's Dreamstation to instead buy Resmed. Advice needed
Contemplating selling my Phillip's Dreamstation to instead buy Resmed. Advice needed
I have UARS and mild apnea. AHI on Oscar seems to be between 2-6. Main symptom is waking up to pee many times during the night. I have ruled out other causes (such as diabetes, prostate etc). 

So I started the Dreamstation APAP with the hope that I would sleep through the night. Unfortunately I still wake up during the night. I use a full face mask and increased min pressure to 6, 8, then 9, then 12 and then 14 last night. I slept fine with higher pressures but still woke up during throughout the night. I had flex on but turned it off last night. No change.

My sleep data shows that Flow Limited breathing is my.issue.

This has disappointed me. I read that the Resmed Air Sense 10 elite can address Flow Limitations due to the EPR working as a Bi Level. And that the Resmed can be hacked into a BiPAP with a programming cable.

If I'm sleeping fine with pressures of 14 but still waking up, would a Resmed elite at higher pressures with EPR be enough to address the Flow Limitations? Keep in mind, I can already sleep with high pressures on dreamstation with no benefit. 

Also, bipap would be too costly for me.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Contemplating selling my Phillip's Dreamstation to instead buy Resmed. Advice needed
I would not get the elite. Get the autoset much better machine. If money is a problem (always is with me) take a as look at Supplier #2 on the suppliers list at the top of this site. I purchased 2machines from them that were “slightly used”. One had less than a months use the other less than one week. Prices are a fraction of other sites and they have a years warranty. They are fully disinfected. Great company and great machines.
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Contemplating selling my Phillip's Dreamstation to instead buy Resmed. Advice needed
(02-01-2021, 12:10 PM)staceyburke Wrote: I would not get the elite. Get the autoset much better machine. If money is a problem (always is with me) take a as look at Supplier #2 on the suppliers list at the top of this site. I purchased 2machines from them that were “slightly used”. One had less than a months use the other less than one week. Prices are a fraction of other sites and they have a years warranty. They are fully disinfected. Great company and great machines.

So the auto set 10 could help with FLs?
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-01-2021, 12:10 PM)staceyburke Wrote: I would not get the elite. Get the autoset much better machine. If money is a problem (always is with me) take a as look at Supplier #2 on the suppliers list at the top of this site. I purchased 2machines from them that were “slightly used”. One had less than a months use the other less than one week. Prices are a fraction of other sites and they have a years warranty. They are fully disinfected. Great company and great machines.

Also the resmed Auto 10 can be hacked into a bipap?
Post Reply Post Reply
Only if you know what you are doing. If you are referring to a news item a few months back, that was just a proof of concept and is not fully functional.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
The short answer is yes. A longer answer - EPR (exhale pressure relief) is what helps treat flow limits. The dreamstation has A flex or C flex, either one is not as good as the ResMed EPR and the dreamstation only go up to 2. Thes ResMed s10 autoset goes up to EPR3 so it does a better Job with flow limits. The better one is a ResMed VAUTO which is a bilevel that uses what is called pressure relief or ps (EPR)and goes from 1 to 25 with steps of .2 so it is better than the autoset but cost considerably more. 

It would be a very good idea to put up a couple nights OSCAR charts and people here could give you better guidance on which machine is the best for your therapy.
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
If you are not in a hurry you can get very good deals on craigslist. The negative is that there is no guarantee.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-01-2021, 12:32 PM)Crimson Nape Wrote: Only if you know what you are doing.   If you are referring to a news item a few months back, that was just a proof of concept and is not fully functional.

A guy I know hacked his resmed auto 10 to a bipap with a programming cable and he said he would help me
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-01-2021, 12:35 PM)staceyburke Wrote: The short answer is yes. A longer answer - EPR (exhale pressure relief) is what helps treat flow limits. The dreamstation has A flex or C flex, either one is not as good as the ResMed EPR and the dreamstation only go up to 2. Thes ResMed s10 autoset goes up to EPR3 so it does a better Job with flow limits. The better one is a ResMed VAUTO which is a bilevel that uses what is called pressure relief or ps (EPR)and goes from 1 to 25 with steps of .2 so it is better than the autoset but cost considerably more. 

It would be a very good idea to put up a couple nights OSCAR charts and people here could give you better guidance on which machine is the best for your therapy.

I saw the V auto but if I hacked an air sense 10 to a bipap then wouldn't that also have much greater relief on exhale than EPR 3? This would save me from spending a lot more for a bipap.

Also thanks yeah I will get my data.
Post Reply Post Reply
I don't know if there is any information still on the internet for the Airbreak project that described the flashing of the Airsense 10 to enable the function of all Airsense and Aircurve machines. This project was done at the beginning of the pandemic to explore the feasibility of using existing CPAP machines as ventilators. Once you have more than 20 posts and are a Preferred Member you can view threads on this subject in the COVID-19 forum. Since other solutions have been found for ventilators this project has been dropped by the Airbreak developers.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New to CPAP, looking for guidance and advice iamJB 16 281 2 hours ago
Last Post: Expat31
  New- CA CA-Tired help with settings advice jenjabba 8 169 Yesterday, 01:03 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  New Here, Been using OSCAR, Need Advice Regarding Adjustments FrankReality 26 861 03-26-2024, 01:49 PM
Last Post: FrankReality
  [Pressure] Advice on pressure adjustments akarifur 43 1,796 03-25-2024, 08:58 PM
Last Post: Uzupan
  DreamStation 2 vs ResMed S9 gonzalo 3 71 03-25-2024, 12:36 PM
Last Post: StratCat48
  Canadian here without insurance. Purchase advice needed. TrailerSweetheart 31 5,524 03-21-2024, 06:54 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  New to CPAP Titration Study and OSCAR Data Help Needed slowmoto 2 145 03-20-2024, 01:24 PM
Last Post: slowmoto

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.