Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

CorruptAlligator - CPAP Problems
RE: CorruptAlligator - CPAP Problems
I recently got a nasal mask, the N20, and I like it a lot. I like it a lot compared to my F30, which was a huge full face mask. I like that it only covers up my nose, and I don't feel the strong pressure like F30, in which I had some issues with abrupt pressure changes.

I would recommend giving it a try.
Post Reply Post Reply

Donate to Apnea Board  
I've been using my N20 nasal mask, and my AHI is reduced even without wearing a collar. This is the perfect mask for me. I recommend all to explore different masks to see which would work best for you.

I used to wear the F20 mask that resulted in higher AHI, but I'm thinking that the mask contributed to false positives of centrals.
Post Reply Post Reply
I've seen this in a few cases now, I assume your flow limitations improved as well. If so was probably an obstructive issue and like you say some of the events were falsely flagged as centrals.

FFMs appear to be an issue for some people. I think it can be caused by a couple different things. One is that the lower strap pulls chin back/down. Another is that if the persons mouth is open the pressure supplied in mouth counteracts pressure in nose/primary airway.

Trying different masks till you find the right one is important as everyone is different. Glad you found the one you like and that works best for you.
Post Reply Post Reply
That could be what it is, the FFM chin strap pulling my head down. I tried loosening it, but that resulted in leakage. The solution was the nasal mask that doesn't put tension at the bottom like the FFM.

This probably also explains inconstancies of my AHI values with FFM

Only mask I haven't tried is nasal pillow, but I don't know how I feel like sudden rush of pressure directly up my nose. It feel more natural to have a mask around my nose that I can breath in the air with the pressure.

I'm also glad this was a solution that ended in not having to wear the cervical collar anymore.

With regards to N20 mask, I think fit is somewhat important. I initially wore a Large, but my DME also provided a Medium thinking that Large may not work. Medium actually worked better. Getting the right fit seems important.
Post Reply Post Reply

Donate to Apnea Board  
I'm back to full-face mask, F20. I realized there's flaws with N20, nasal mask. I realized I have trouble breathing through it, and the AHI numbers do not reflect quality of sleep. It seems like the system just doesn't detect well at all. I really don't trust the numbers from the machine. I started feeling slight chest pain when I wake up in the middle of the night, which tells me I'm having apnea that the machine is not detecting. I cannot breath properly with the mask to go back to sleep.

I don't like the design of the N20, particularly the bottom cushion, which seems to get on the way of my nostrils, partially obstructing. This really concerns me. I had similar issue with F30i with the possibility of the cushion getting misaligned, and obstructing flow of air. Using CPAP can actually be worse than not using at all I realized with this incident.

I switched back to F20, and I do have higher AHI numbers, but I feel rested. Numbers don't reflect quality of sleep. I think I was fooled by the low AHI numbers with the N20 mask, and realized the system isn't properly detecting apneas.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Exhale problems with P30i cushion VS Dreamwear mask alh2206 7 167 07-12-2021, 09:14 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
Idea [Pressure] tinnitus and ears problems with CPAP, need help weuw 16 517 05-31-2021, 11:45 AM
Last Post: weuw
  Wife having problems- still waking Steve4cr 12 433 05-10-2021, 10:39 AM
Last Post: Steve4cr
  New user problems Kieran 17 425 04-23-2021, 10:22 AM
Last Post: RayBee
  Intestinal gas problems marklang 25 954 04-17-2021, 01:03 PM
Last Post: marklang
  Help for Sleep Problems? SideSleeper 2 222 03-18-2021, 10:43 PM
Last Post: SideSleeper
  Problems with breathe hqc001 4 283 02-28-2021, 01:50 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.