Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Could PAP be affected by elevation?
Could PAP be affected by elevation?
Our primary home is at sea level. When we go to our cabin (elevation 2500 feet), it seems that I have to inhale harder to get the air I need. I increased the pressure by 1, and it seemed to have helped. Could it be that the thinner air at elevation doesn't provide enough oxygen? Or is this all imagined? Curious to ask the experts for their opinions.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Could PAP be affected by elevation?
Pretty much all PAP machines, yours included, adapt for altitude.
Yes altitude affects your breathing, and there is a thing called altitude induced Central Apnea.
BUT, typically those effects don't show until 5-6000 ft.

Please post charts from both home an cabin for evaluation. We have see cases where the user used a normal CPAP at home and needed an ASV at altitude. So you could need different settings based on altitude.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Could PAP be affected by elevation?
All CPAP machines use gage pressure, not absolute pressure. If we say, for example, the pressure is 10 cm of water, that is the difference between the pressure in your nose and the pressure in the room. This difference does not change when you change altitude. This is appropriate because the idea is to use pressure to keep the airway open.

Increasing altitude will reduce the density and therefore the amount of oxygen you are getting. It does not make sense to compensate for this with increased CPAP pressure. You would need to increase the CPAP pressure by about 70 to compensate for 2500 feet of altitude.

I suspect that the higher altitude made you more sensitive to a problem you also have at sea level. If increasing the pressure helped at 2500 feet, you should keep that setting at sea level. And the experts will want to see the Oscar charts.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How Are You Affected by Chin Tucking? BoxcarPete 5 598 03-08-2024, 04:03 PM
Last Post: DaveL
  [Treatment] Central Sleep Apnea at high elevation knuddr 24 2,348 02-09-2024, 07:41 PM
Last Post: DevinJones
  [Pressure] CPAP Pressure, CA's, and elevation GuyScharf 2 436 11-03-2023, 10:39 AM
Last Post: gainerfull
  Is ResMed 10 cell-modem affected by end of 3G fredkahan 25 18,761 05-06-2022, 09:49 PM
Last Post: Jeff8356
  Does a change in elevation require adjustments to the CPAP settings? againstthegrain 13 1,253 11-16-2021, 08:38 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  no longer sure if still apnea-affected or just tired eekamouse 32 2,348 07-09-2021, 08:12 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Head Elevation saltydawg2 6 1,072 06-06-2021, 10:13 AM
Last Post: NannyRobina

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.