Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Cpap Mask left wrinkle lines in my face. How long doe they take to go away?
RE: Cpap Mask left wrinkle lines in my face. How long doe they take to go away?
(03-01-2017, 11:24 PM)Ockrocket Wrote: The straps on my mask leave marks on my face, but they tend to disappear after an hour or so, though some days they have not gone away for several hours.

I think it depends on an individual's age/skin suppleness/number of hours worn/tightness of straps.. all of those will alter the time the marks linger.

If asked, I will just tell people the marks are scars from when I was slashed across the face whilst foiling a machete wielding perpetrator in the act of robbing a jewelry store........ no one will believe me, but why let the truth get in the way of a good story.   Unsure  Bigwink   Dielaughing

I love this! Indeed, why let the truth get in the way. Truth is so...inconvenient.
Post Reply Post Reply
Some masks include cloth-like covers that you can put around the straps. I find those help a lot with regards to the strap marks.

Being a side sleeper, I even find for the DreamWear nasal masks (cushion or pillow), the plastic tubing can leave marks on my face. Again though, the covers fix that right up for me.

With that being said, my wife tried the strap covers, but that ended up pulling the straps just out enough to increase leaks on the mask itself. The strap covers did help her however with regards to the marks, but again, due to the extra leaks she could not use the covers.

Your mileage may vary with the strap covers ... but another idea. Good luck!
Post Reply Post Reply
To echo someone else’s comment, hydration and salt intake are the big factors for me as to whether I have “strap face” in the morning. Yesterday, I went for 10 miles of hiking in the heat and didn’t drink enough water. I then proceeded to eat a very salty Chinese food dinner. This morning? Strap face.

I try to drink 128 oz of water a day and watch my salt intake. That usually does the trick.
Post Reply Post Reply
I agree with others' advice to drink more water, and to use cloth liners on the straps.

I'll add my experience, too.

- I noticed that the P10s made my nostrils bigger.
- I notice the Nuance Pro pushes my nose in, and thus I am betting it makes my nostrils bigger.

What I've decided to do is to switch masks periodically, so my face doesn't get too used to the pressure points of one specific mask. I'm finding this helps.

Also, I'm really liking the F20 with memory foam. I feel like it seals to my skin without applying a lot of pressure. Surely that has to help with wrinkles.

And ultimately, I tell myself that any wrinkles or nostril enlargements are worth it because it means my heart is healthier and my quality of life is better.
Post Reply Post Reply
I  hope the poster received the answers he wanted.

ihaveapnea, how is your treatment going?

My experience: mask strap marks go away. Usually by mid morning. If I have mask strap marks, I wonder if my mask is on too tight.

You said you stopped treatment. I can't imagine stopping treatment; however, if I did I would expect to have less energy, low blood oxygen levels, and other issues too.
Could stopping treatment cause advanced aging and lines on the face?
DaveL
compliant for 35 years /// Still trying!

I'm just a cpap user like you. I don't give medical advice. Seek the advice of a physician before seeking treatment for medical conditions including sleep apnea. Sleep-well

http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php..._The_Guide

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How long did it take for you to feel better on CPAP? Pebble 0 18 2 hours ago
Last Post: Pebble
  [Symptoms] long desaturations Mshull 4 167 04-16-2024, 12:04 PM
Last Post: Dormeo
  [CPAP] Congested/painful itch reaction/face hotness upon use of CPAP Yeliad 6 172 04-15-2024, 10:44 PM
Last Post: Yeliad
  Long Time PAPer Trying to Dial It In again! dlbzone 5 272 04-11-2024, 09:26 PM
Last Post: dlbzone
  New to CPAP and struggling with my mask. jmswjunk4 2 95 04-11-2024, 10:21 AM
Last Post: DancesWithCats
  Cpap Mask Marks on Face and neck newtothis1 3 140 04-06-2024, 09:03 AM
Last Post: cdplatt
  Full Face Mask Recommendations for Minimal Bounce with Pressure Support Unkikonki 15 669 03-14-2024, 03:00 PM
Last Post: RLRoth

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.