Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Cracked Resmed S9
Cracked Resmed S9
Hi all,

First time poster but long time Resmed S9 user. For the experts out there, would you be able to tell me if the shown crack to the machine’s body has any impact on machine function? (in particular as it relates to air leakage out of the case). A whole chunk of the corner is chipped off and I can stick a screwdriver into the cavity through the hole created. I’ve been impressed by the S9’s durability but may have abused my poor machine a bit too much...

Also, is Resmed planning on updating its S10 model anytime soon? I’ve been using the same S9 for many years and would hold off on picking up the S10 if a newer model was lurking around the corner.

Thanks for your feedback

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Cracked Resmed S9
As someone who had a look inside the S10, I don't think the external crack itself would cause any air leakage. The air circulation is built like a circuit, there is no free air inside the device. I don't think S9 is radically different. The question would be if the impact/fall that created the crack also disturbed the airways inside the device. Do you feel any drop in the pressure? Any unusual behaviour? The S10 can sense an air leakage and give an alert if there is a hole in the air circuit. I believe it would be similar in S9 too. 

I've read that there was a new model planned but it has been probably postponed due to Covid. I don't remember where I've read it so I can't provide a source. Also, no idea what the new device is capable of doing or if it is worth waiting (from what I've read, there wasn't a major difference between S9 and S10, except the external design and the general look, but there is no guarantee that it will be similar with the new device).
Post Reply Post Reply
Do you have the missing piece?

I have had great success using a product called RapidFix repairing plastics on my motorcycles and cars, as well as things around the house, with it.

I don't think I'm allowed to post a link to the product manufacturer, so Google RapidFix and look for this screen that will show up on what should be the RapidFix main website.

It also has a powder filler component that can be filed or sanded if extra strength is needed, or if some parts are missing and you need to build up part of the repair.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

- They are not spelling/grammar errors.. I live in Australia, we do it differently Down Under  Big Grin -
Post Reply Post Reply
My S9, used it for 12 years, also had a crack around the same location as yours. I vaguely recall that my granddaughter dropped it couple of years ego. The clear duck tape covered it up and the S9 had no issues afterward. There's definitely no issues with it now, it has been replaced by the AS10 four month ego...
"Life is dream, awakening is death..."
- Chinese proverb
Post Reply Post Reply
The crack in your picture appears to be only on the cosmetic portion of the S9, thus not effecting its operation.

A little Bactine and a band-aid, and she should be good to go! Big Grin
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for all the replies. I don't have the cracked piece.

Based on what you've written, is the entire casing of the main unit (not the humidifier unit) cosmetic and not a pressure vessel?
Post Reply Post Reply
That's my take on it, yes that area is just the body and not necessarily functional.

And no clue if/when a new ResMed model crops up. However, the rumor is that after you order your 10 series, the 11 will be out within a month.

Coffee
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Two highly recommended adhesives for repairing anything ceramic or plastic: Ambroid glue, but better is a two-part epoxy. You can buy the twin-plunger epoxy syringes, mix only what you need, and you’ll have a very strong bond inside of 40 minutes if it’s the rapid set kind.
Post Reply Post Reply
JB Weld is also some good stuff.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks again for all the input. I don't have the missing piece so will have to live with the hole for now. It doesn't really bother me...it actually adds a bit of a "life well lived" kind of vibe. I've had the machine for over 6 years and it's served me so well so it will be a tough decision to upgrade to the S11 whenever that is. The ResMed S-series is a solid product.
Post Reply Post Reply

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.