Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

DIY ResMed S10 Air Inlet UVC Bug Killing System
RE: DIY ResMed S10 Air Inlet UVC Bug Killing System
Hello Folks!

I have a bit on (in harsh terms, and without in any way seeking sympathy, I am also busy trying to prepare for my possible demise in around 3 weeks, so have to square away as much as I can, just in case, so as to try and leave my family with a plan of action).

I am only making slow progress on the UVC front, but this YouTube video was interesting, and covers the small UVC LEDs I was contemplating. I think those will be too small and under-powered.

The video is by SDG Electronics, and is entitled:

SDG #195 Actual UVC LEDs for Sterilisation and Disinfecting

Moderator Insertion:

Rather than post a live URL, please just go to YouTube and either do a Search for the above title, or copy and paste the following video reference into a YouTube Search from that web site:

KLu0dUoIOpo

There is then no risk of a dubious URL, and the YouTube website will either find the video, or else it will not recognise the video reference.

At the moment, the key looks to be a Power and Duration issue, so to achieve the desired effect, the particles need to be whacked with sufficient UVC relative to their duration under the UVC light. If the two are not in the right balance of Power and Duration, nothing much will happen, and the plan won't work.

I was also wondering if some baffled unit might work, a bit like a Maze, but with a start and a finish, so that air has to navigate a series of turns, all whilst bathed in UVC.

That may reduce the chamber size, and yet increase the transit time.

This would be some clear plastic construction, non-UV filtering, that could be bathed in UVC inside of a suitable housing.

If the UVC Power is sufficient, and the air takes a suitable length of time to enter one end, and reach the S10's inlet, then that might work, and may be fairly compact.

Still early days, and am just trying to get my head around the many issues.

The conclusion may end up being that it needs too large a unit for my purpose, but this may help others to investigate the options for a home based UVC inlet sanitisation unit, especially for those whose immunity is compromised (mine isn't), who want extra protection from air borne pathogens.

MoreBeers
Post Reply Post Reply
Hello Folks!

Sorry for slow update, I have had a lot on, and both time and budget have all but run out.

I'm off for Surgery (major operation for Bowel Cancer, to remove all of my right side plumbing) the week after next so, with regret, I won't now have any time to create a UVC Unit as I had hoped.

However, I think this is still an interesting project and, provided I am still around after the above, and once I have recovered, then I will come back to this.

One of the many snags I have encountered, is simply finding reputable UVC Bulbs or LEDs, that operate at 253.7 nm, which is the bug killing range, and where no Ozone is produced.

The last thing anyone wants to do is breath in Ozone, so that issue is pretty critical.

The other hurdle was finding quality UVC Bulbs or LEDs that are powerful enough to kill bugs in the time they will spend whizzing through the proposed contraption!

One possible option I spotted, was to buy a quality ready-made UVC sterilising unit, and then modify that. See the Amazon UK Link below for a possible Philips unit:

Amazon UK Link to Philips UV-C Box

Philips do three units, a Room Unit, a small Box for things like Mobile Phones, and a much larger Box for doing things like baby cups and utensils.

These are supposedly rated at around 253.7 nm so, the larger Box unit could be possible.

The plan would be to buy that, and then modify it to add an Inlet Filter to one side (and possibly seal the lid better), and then some ducting to the other side that would mate to the Inlet Filter area of my ResMed S10.

That unit turns off the UVC Light when the lid is opened so, as standard, it has a built-in safety feature, albeit the modifications will need to be done in such a way that no UVC can escape via those changes.

But, such a unit might be an option if the UVC is indeed properly rated by Philips to pump out 253.7 nm UVC only, and nothing below 200 nm where Ozone is produced (I'd need to ask Philips for confirmation).

If I stumble upon any money in a sock drawer, I may try that. However, as that is next to totally unlikely, I regret that I won't now be going in to Hospital with the UVC top cover that I was hoping.

OK, now flat out trying to get as fit as possible for the trauma ahead, and to square away my admin just in case!

All good character building stuff!

MoreBeers
Post Reply Post Reply
:Beers: best of luck with the operation---that's the number 1.

In the past, I have (thought experiment) toyed with hooking up a large Hepa filter prior to the cpap machine.  That would be easier to accomplish as a temporary solution.

Would it do any good --do you think-- at least picking up the viral particles that have a little moisture with them?

I have heard that "dose" is an important variable.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks, all being well, it should be routine. They have not lost one in a while, so I hope they are keen to keep that record intact!

I will take in extra ResMed S9/S10 Hypo-Allergenic Filters, and will change those daily, just as an extra precaution. Albeit they are damned expensive for what they are. Hopefully I will only need 5-7, or less, if I can escape sooner than that!

I will ponder adding some extra filtration, as you say, it may not stop small virus particles unless contained within airborne moisture droplets but, anything to reduce any potential viral load is a step in the right direction.

During the day and/or when not on CPAP, I will take the extra sensible precautions listed earlier, such as regular gargling with a quality mouthwash (which is effective killing bugs in the mouth and throat and has a reasonable level of protection duration), plus saline nasal spray up my bugle holes (which can present a hostile environment up there for bugs, and also has a useful effective duration), both of which I can do without causing any fuss, and without anyone even knowing I am doing that.

I am absolutely not a hypochondriac, these are just sensible precautions to try and avoid catching something extra when in Hospital, whilst my body has a few other onerous things to be healing and otherwise dealing with. Any newly acquired respiratory infection will just complicate things. Likewise, coughing will be hard for a few days, so I am not keen to acquire a cough if I can avoid it!

I am also going to go in, well topped up with Zinc, Magnesium and Vitamins D3 and K2. The Vitamin C issue is harder, because it doesn't stay long in the body, so depends on when it was last consumed. But the unspeakable liquid baby food drinks they give before, and especially afterwards, have a good quantity of C plus a few other things. Only nasty is these are based on Canola Oil, which is not exactly healthy. I think I can stop those after a day or so, but have to grin and bear it for the first day before and afterwards.

I will do all that I can to get up and out ASAP, because then I can remove that extra potential infection risk from the recovery equation.

MoreBeers
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi, MoreBeers  There are air purifiers that employ both HEPA filters and UVC.  One of these would purify all the air in your room, thereby helping you both day and night.  Amazon has options from under $100 on up, and there are other sources, of course.  

Best wishes for your surgery and recovery!
Post Reply Post Reply
Hello Lucid!

Many thanks, appreciated.

Just to clarify, the UVC idea was really just for when in Hospital and using my CPAP, to try and at least make sure when asleep, the air coming in was being zapped via UVC.

So the idea was something reasonably compact, that could be added to my ResMed S10 without it being too cumbersome or large.

I think it's doable, but I have just run out of the time and budget now to get this organised over the remaining week that I have left.

I think the general idea has merit, but needs some thorough research and planning.

I hope to come back to this later, and welcome others to investigate the options. If this Thread helps to stimulate others to explore the concept, I'm happy with that.

I will update this Thread, hopefully, when I am home again in around 2 weeks time, or so.

MoreBeers
Post Reply Post Reply
Best of luck.
Post Reply Post Reply
How did the surgery go?

In June this year my whole colon was removed and now have a permanent ilieostomy due to colon cancer. Was a 9 hour surgery and two weeks in hospital. No i didn't use my Cpap. No point when you are woken every hour or two by the nurse taking OBS. You only get short naps at a time. Also if they insert an NG tube which they did when my small intestine shut down you can't possibly wear a Cpap mask anyway.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hello Smegg!

It got cancelled initially, so it's next week now. I have this fun to look forward to!

I'm hopefully only having the whole right side removed, so Ceacum (with Appendix), the whole Ascending Colon, and then half of the Transverse Colon, plus all related blood supplies and Lymph Nodes. Then, hopefully, a new join between Small Intestine and the remaining part of the Transverse Colon, to leave me with a basically still functional system, albeit reduced by around 50%. All being well, once recovered, then things can, in theory, eventually revert back to normal.

I was due to have this done early last Month, but they cancelled it moments before I was to be wheeled down to Theatre. I was all dressed up too, with my parts exposed at the back of a Theatre Gown! That was a PITA, after which a six week delay followed.

Last time the Anaesthetist seemed to be planning on getting me back on CPAP on the way to Recovery but, we'll see. As you say, they will be checking me regularly for the first 12-24 hours so, amongst other things, my Blood Oxygen Saturation levels should be on a machine that goes beep!

My Sleep Apnoea is closely linked to sleeping position, worst when on my back so, that is also a PITA, because I will be on my back for at least a couple of weeks to allow my new plumbing work to heal. But initially, if I am kept fairly well sat up in bed, then Oxygen alone may be fine, or even no Oxygen, provided Blood Oxygen Saturation is OK and the machine doesn't beep too alarmingly.

Provided nothing bad happens during the actual surgery, then I should be brought around when I am still in Theatre, and should be awake both in Recovery and also when taken to the Ward after Recovery. If so, I should be able to organise my own CPAP fitment and use, if needed. The CPAP bag is following me in to Theatre, so it will be with me all the way, apparently.

My main aim by starting this Thread was to see if I could find a way via UVC to buy some extra protection when on CPAP, from the many bugs lurking around Hospitals.

It's just a fact that, at least in the UK, Hospitals seem to be where healthy people go to catch things! I was just exploring what, if anything, I could do to improve my odds by not picking up something extra that may complicate the recovery.

Another consideration was to help in the event that the Surgery goes adrift, and I end up in Hospital for much longer than the 5-7 Days expected. That is when the chances of picking something else up will tend to increase somewhat.

Provided it is not cancelled, again, I will have first hand experience. I will update when home, and if it helps others, I can comment on anything I encountered in terms of CPAP use after Surgery if that may be of interest.

MoreBeers
Post Reply Post Reply
Hello Folks!

I'm pleased to say that I survived the Surgery!

Just taking it easy at home now, working on the recovery.

I will update in due course. Some interesting observations regarding CPAP, IV Opiates, Oral Opiates, Oxygen, Pain Relief and knock-on impact if all not well addressed.

Please bear with me, I will be back again over the next few days.

MoreBeers
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Exclaimation [News] RECALL THREAD-- IMPORTANT PHILIPS DREAMSTATION & SYSTEM ONE USERS Sleeprider 2,964 359,463 Yesterday, 02:17 PM
Last Post: btreger
  Resmed Heating System Errors btreger 0 116 04-05-2024, 01:20 PM
Last Post: btreger
  Inspire system JThammer 15 388 04-04-2024, 11:59 AM
Last Post: cdplatt
  Airsense 11. Heating system error Jskier 6 7,052 03-30-2024, 12:10 PM
Last Post: Ron LI
  Feel like my CPAP machine is killing me jimbob123 1 189 03-27-2024, 05:42 AM
Last Post: Rich66
  Foam Removal - Philips System One peewee44 47 10,894 03-26-2024, 05:46 AM
Last Post: jojopuppyfish
  Is my Philips Remstar Pro System One working? alanbc 11 477 03-13-2024, 11:41 AM
Last Post: alanbc

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.