Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Detecting REM Sleep?
Detecting REM Sleep?
Using the charts from OSCAR, is there any way to detect the duration and frequency of my REM sleep cycles?
I know that during REM sleep pulse and breathing increase, but is there some part of the OSCAR graphs that I should pay close attention to to discover this sleep stage?
My get-up-and-go musta got up and went.  Cool

Download OSCAR for your sleep data.  
https://www.sleepfiles.com/OSCAR

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Detecting REM Sleep?
Good question. I have asked it an year ago. I got answer: there is no signal which could be detector of REM in ResMed AirSense 10.
Post Reply Post Reply
Without being connected to an EEG, there isn't any absolute definitive way of telling.   A good assumption is looking at the respiration rate, like you had mentioned.  You should start to pickup slight patterns about every 90 minutes.  Using the pulse as an indicator would require an external device (in most cases) and it would need to be time synced very close to the CPAP to have any meaning.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Ahhh, OK. I see Crimson Nape. 
Thanks for the info.
My get-up-and-go musta got up and went.  Cool

Download OSCAR for your sleep data.  
https://www.sleepfiles.com/OSCAR

Post Reply Post Reply
I assume some deeper stage of sleep when the flow rate is more compressed than elsewhere, less volume and more uniform with no spikes and no white space visible, combined with at least one other instance of the same roughly 90 minutes apart. or a single instance ~ 90 minutes from the start of a session.
Post Reply Post Reply
I posted about this over here. I can't really see any obvious correlation between the machine data and the sleep staging as present there.
Caveats: I'm just a patient, with no medical training.
Post Reply Post Reply
Buy a Fitbit smartwatch/band device.

Most of them can detect the sleep cycles fairly accurately (including deep sleep and REM) when worn during the night.

When I had a proper overnight sleep study at a clinic, we compared the results between the PSG clinical device (electrodes etc.) and Fitbit, and Fitbit was not that far in detecting the sleep stages accurately. The doctor was quite impressed with the level of correlation between a £150 device and something costing ££££.

[Image: PSG-vs-Fitbit.png]
Post Reply Post Reply
My Samsung Gear 2 Sport tells me I'm asleep when I'm at the computer at times.  

Oh, wait...maybe I am.  Too-funny
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-18-2020, 03:54 PM)mesenteria Wrote: My Samsung Gear 2 Sport tells me I'm asleep when I'm at the computer at times.  

Oh, wait...maybe I am.  Too-funny

My Fitbit Versa 2 tells me I am asleep...when I am actually asleep!
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Treatment] Request for Sleep Data review compared to Sleep Study thesingingchef 2 164 03-14-2024, 05:14 PM
Last Post: thesingingchef
  adding sleep report (Wondering whether changing sleep position can "cure" apnea) NewlyDiagnosed 1 206 02-26-2024, 10:19 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  Inconsistent Sleep Patterns and Confusing Sleep Studies - Please Review mperry99 17 1,361 10-14-2023, 04:20 PM
Last Post: mperry99
  [Diagnosis] Sleep deprivation vs sleep apnea - my therapy thread JRNfromAZ 2 807 08-01-2023, 02:43 PM
Last Post: JRNfromAZ
  New Electronic Facial patch for Detecting Sleep Apnea Sleepless in Dewberry 0 401 05-26-2023, 09:00 AM
Last Post: Sleepless in Dewberry
  Sleep apnea and CPAP use and it’s effect on HRV and Sleep Quaility tinyobject 1 1,011 01-21-2023, 10:37 AM
Last Post: Jay51
  Random nights of short sleep due to several days mounting to too much sleep? CorruptAlligator 2 681 10-19-2022, 09:04 PM
Last Post: Lucid

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.