Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Developing insomnia as a new user. Normal?
Developing insomnia as a new user. Normal?
Hello again.

I have developed insomnia now in the latter end of my first month of therapy - the variety where one cannot FALL asleep as opposed to popping up in the middle of the night wide awake.  

I think it may be because I have been having issues adjusting to CPAP and different mask trials.  I 'suspect' that my brain now expects to have trouble during sleep so I am now having a heck of a time actually getting to sleep.  Once I do (and it may be many hours after getting into bed - very very tired mind you), I tend to sleep and calm down.  It's odd that I am so sleepy but when I get all settled in, its like my brain is all of a sudden acting like it's on 2 cups of espresso!

I've tried different sleep aids that would normally knock me out cold - and it doesn't seem to work in the least which is why I think it is psychological since those sleep meds are powerful!  It all started within the last week.

Anyone experience this in their early going?  Any help out here?!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Developing insomnia as a new user. Normal?
I've had an insomnia situation that occurs a few times a week. I was prescribed a medication that helps in falling asleep. Note that some of my insomnia is based on extreme back pain that can prevent me from finding a comfortable sleep position.

It's possible your situation may improve with time. However, you could discuss this with your doctor to see if he or she has some suggestions.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Wow, that can't be a lot of fun!!  Sad 

Some tips or suggestions, unless they're already old and ineffective for you:

Get at least 30 minutes of pretty darned hefty aerobic exercise daily.  That means each day.  Strenuous walking, cycling, running, skating, skiing, games on a team...something that makes you sweat, have to cool down, and then get cleaned up to do something else your mind must contend with.  Don't do it after 1800 hrs, either.  Best early morning, even before breakfast, do it at noon while others eat (you can eat later or at your desk), or right after work.

Don't eat anything after 2100 hrs (9:00 pm).  Ideally, don't drink anything after about 7:00 pm, and be sure to void prior to retiring.

Don't use any screens.  No surfing.  No youtube.  No texting or...EGADS!!...work-related stuff.  Don't sleep with a pager or your phone at bedside.  None of this after 8:00 pm.

Have a hobby for distraction.  Get into it at least twice a week, and intensely.  Fix something. Paint something.  But it has to be something you love to do.

Take 10-20 mg of melatonin two or three times a week, never on consecutive nights.  You can habituate to melatonin the same way you can to nicotine.  You take it just before bed.  It's best taken on weekends when you know you can sleep in a bit to catch up, but going to be a bit earlier than normal so that you sleep longer is also an option during the week.  If you're retired...it's moot.

Not only is it important when you eat, but WHAT you eat.  Anything that has you belching with heartburn just before bed is a huge problem.  In fact, if you have GERD, gastric reflux, you'll have to address that as best you can.

I'm always flabbergasted by how many people drink coffee late in the day and into the evening.  Don't...if you do.  Even so-called 'decaffeinated' teas and coffees have some caffeine in them, and other compounds that contribute to GERD or arousals.  I also cautioned against drinking fluids after 7:00...remember?

And, not just coffee, but anything else that contains compounds that stimulate your brain, your central nervous system, or your kidneys.  Chocolate....yeah, I know....but just don't. Not later in the day.

Did I forget exercise?  Daily?
Post Reply Post Reply
I experienced that in my journey of adjusting to CPAP therapy and finally getting restful sleep. It was as if my body was saying "I'm finally feeling rested. I don't need to sleep."

Having a good sleep hygiene/routine helps with this. Sleep aids can help.

For me, I think I got tired from the insomnia, and then my body finally realized "Oh, right, I have to continue getting sleep in order to continue feeling rested." And then my body adapted.

I also agree with the suggestion to be productive and get some heavy exercise in the day. That'll help wear you out so your body is more inclined to go to sleep.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Which is the most normal waveform? SingleH 9 211 03-26-2024, 12:40 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Bad Insomnia r4robin 5 214 03-25-2024, 09:58 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  New user - is my experience normal? SleeplessGrouch 3 416 03-23-2024, 03:02 PM
Last Post: ButtonNoseBarbie
Question [Treatment] Treatment Emergent Central Apnea or Insomnia -- which is it? mallar 1 298 03-02-2024, 01:57 PM
Last Post: mallar
  Frustrating insomnia continues despite numbers alienfrontier 10 605 01-27-2024, 02:04 PM
Last Post: alienfrontier
  erratic flow rate graph on ASV normal? jaredihnen 2 253 01-24-2024, 10:30 PM
Last Post: jaredihnen
  Frequent hiccups in flow rate. Normal? JulieK 19 1,694 11-28-2023, 11:56 PM
Last Post: PunchIt

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.