Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Deviated Septum Surgery
Deviated Septum Surgery
[Copied over from our old forum]
...........................................................................................
jpolley wrote:
Has anyone here had surgery to correct a deviated septum? My ENT highly suggests it prior to going with the CPAP. He says that with the extent of my deviated septum, the air pressure on the CPAP would have to be set higher than normal to efficiently open my airways.

Any thoughts?

Joe
..................................................................................................

ConnCarl wrote:
Welcome to Apnea Board, Joe.

I had it, for the same reason. As it was explained to me, the disruption in airflow caused by a deviated septum can lead to an increased pressure requirement.

If the deviation is profound, it can put pressure on the turbinates, which can cause congestion, another reason you might require additional pressure.

Good luck with your therapy!

Carl
...............................................................................................

ellerphant wrote:
I'm 38 and broke my nose in college and again 2 years ago in a softball game. i didnt really know how bad the nasal passageway was. i did the sleep study and had a high RDI of 74.1. they put me on cpap and started talking about removing my supersize tonsils. when i got the cpap i was given a nose mask, and the machine was set to the highest pressure. i complained and really didnt use it much. when i finally went to the ear nose throat guy he was suprised i could breathe through my nose at all. in January i had the tonsils removed and the septum done at the same time. the septum was no big deal at all, easy in fact. the worst was pulling out the packing the next day. the tonsils on the other hand were a bitch. i was out of work two full weeks and was still in some pain a month later, but i was sleeping!!! and having dreams and feeling rested in the morning!! i would do it all over in a heartbeat especially the nose stuff.
............................................................................................

Alex24 wrote:
Hi...I just had septoplasty on my nose. As Ellephant said it was not that bad at all. Believe me it is MUCH better to be breating thru your nose than your mouth when you are on CPAP. I would recommend the surgery, but wait at least three weeks before using CPAP because the nose is still sensitive. Good luck and good breathing.
................................................................................................

gumbloid wrote:
I had a deviated septum repaired. I found that my CPAP experience as a whole has been much better since the surgery. Good luck!
..................................................................................................

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Mask(s) to use after nasal surgery? Wonderlight 17 4,223 03-08-2024, 05:42 PM
Last Post: DoubtFire61
  After major surgery Issues DANNOGA 5 250 02-26-2024, 03:29 PM
Last Post: PaulaO2
  Talk me into or out of surgery BoxcarPete 30 1,951 01-27-2024, 11:05 AM
Last Post: Jay51
  Nasal Surgery and CPAP tolerance Norman2195 6 706 12-27-2023, 11:19 AM
Last Post: Jay51
  [Treatment] Very frustrated after radiofrequency tongue base reduction surgery phitom816 4 1,361 12-03-2023, 02:51 PM
Last Post: Too Sleepy
  Thoughts on my data (after double jaw surgery) accetableplaintain 2 417 11-27-2023, 06:30 AM
Last Post: accetableplaintain
  CT showing deviated septum TryingToGetItRight 1 305 11-11-2023, 01:51 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.