Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Diagnosis] Central apneas diagnosed w/ OSA?
RE: Central apneas diagnosed w/ OSA?
It takes time and a protocol to get an ASV including multiple sleep studies CPAP first then Bipap then ASV it is not unknown for some people to be treated successfully with CPAP/BIPAP if you can jump some steps along the way great.

In the end I purchased my own machine to prove effectiveness it was easier and saved time
Post Reply Post Reply
Here in the US, I think the path to ASV includes CPAP, BPAP, ST fails then ASV with possible PSG sleep study for each. I was able to skip ST.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
CPAP and BiLevel without backup do not treat CSA, they avoid it.

There are 3 treatments for  CSA

1 time. Treatment-Emergent Central Apnea often, not always, diminishes or disappears in 2-3 months as your body adjusts

2. ASV which aggressively applies pressure support to maintain either minute vent or tidal volume depending on brand. 

3. EERS for those centrals that are based on your bodies CO2 balance such as Treatment Emergent Central Apnea.  This is basily a mask modification adding a small amount of rebreathing to increase the CO2 levels in your blood slightly 

Note that specific meds may also influence treatment along with the above.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Smile Questions for newly diagnosed Schernenk 22 369 53 minutes ago
Last Post: UnicornRider
  please help me make sense of my central apneas p4ncaketim 26 572 4 hours ago
Last Post: p4ncaketim
  Just Diagnosed - Advice Required on What to Purchase Dazkd1969 0 59 Yesterday, 12:06 PM
Last Post: Dazkd1969
  Central while on ASV Boodmaster 11 2,517 03-26-2024, 02:37 AM
Last Post: Boodmaster
  [Treatment] Clear airway / central apnea events -- causes and solutions? mitzvahtime 6 2,399 03-25-2024, 04:10 PM
Last Post: Jay51
  Fixing (CPAP-induced?) central apneas Franko39 17 859 03-21-2024, 11:26 PM
Last Post: Franko39
  Central Sleeping Apnea treatment ivan007 5 212 03-21-2024, 12:52 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.