Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Diagnosis] Do I have UARS?
Do I have UARS?
Here is the link to my sleep study: drive.google.com/file/d/1Vd5XO8IyS0ihIspj0OE-J8ryVku8S9Dh/view

For context, I am a male in late 20's. I have had symptoms of apnea for a while now and I usually wake up a couple times a night at least. I always wake up feeling very unrefreshed with a headache, I'm also very fatigued and irritable during the day.

I've been going to NHS doctors with my concerns(UK) - It was diagnosed as insomnia, depression and anxiety(way back in 2017). I've tried antidepressants but obviously that has not helped my sleep at all really.

Since this has been going on now for around 4-5 years, around 2 years ago I wanted to check the possibility that I had sleep apnea. I had a home sleep apnea test done with hope2sleep. They detected a minor amount of AHI(around 8), so I went to the doctor and got an NHS home sleep study done.
I don't think I slept much during the test, but they basically just fobbed me off and said there's no way I have apnea due to my appearance. I ended up pushing back and got referred to an ENT, who diagnosed me with a deviated septum.

I got a septoplasty done a few months after(mid 2019), but it didn't really help too much. Over the past year I have slept with breathe right strips as I feel like they help - I can breathe through my nose fine with the strip on.. but unfortunately I still don't sleep well.

I got this new test done this week, and the amount of RDI's is worrying. Their report from the sleep technician says I don't have apnea, but I'm aware of UARS. I've read the diagnosis section of wikipedia, and it seems to exactly tie in with my results..

Since I'm in the UK I'm not very hopeful at all that the NHS will even want to look into this. I will try and bring it up.. but yeah I might end up having to do something my self or go private. 

What do you guys think, and also what treatment options have helped?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Do I have UARS?
Assuming that RDI score is accurate, the study does suggest UARS.

Most people here with UARS try a CPAP machine (specifically the Reamed Autoset), or better yet, a bilevel (the Resmed Aircurve VAuto).
Caveats: I'm just a patient, with no medical training.
Post Reply Post Reply
I was told I had micro arousals, or UARS, but not apnea.  I received no relief from standard APAP machines.  AHI was considered to be cured, but cured or not, I suffered.  It's only on bi-level that my symptoms are being significantly reduced.  In full disclosure, I had to buy the machine myself, as by the book, I was cured.  My opinion of the "profession" has declined considerably due to this experience.  My advice, try to get a more advanced machine than an APAP for UARS.  Buy once, cry once.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-04-2020, 05:46 PM)happydreams Wrote: I was told I had micro arousals, or UARS, but not apnea.  I received no relief from standard APAP machines.  AHI was considered to be cured, but cured or not, I suffered.  It's only on bi-level that my symptoms are being significantly reduced.  In full disclosure, I had to buy the machine myself, as by the book, I was cured.  My opinion of the "profession" has declined considerably due to this experience.  My advice, try to get a more advanced machine than an APAP for UARS.  Buy once, cry once.

Thanks for the reply. How did you go about titrating? Did you just go by feel or was there any metrics you were able to use via OSCAR? I've read a lot of others say that BIPAP is the way to go for UARS too.
Post Reply Post Reply
You can use the data in OSCAR for most of the fine-tuning, and then go by feel for any remaining small tweaks.
Caveats: I'm just a patient, with no medical training.
Post Reply Post Reply
Got a lot of help from here on AB.  Everyone on AB has been very helpful.  Use OSCAR, the level of insight you will get is really helpful.  We use OSCAR (on AB) to quantitatively evaluate your progress.  Of course, it's not all about the numbers, how you feel is more important!  

The titration process can take a while, but in the end you will feel a lot better.  My headaches, which used to be migraine like in intensity, are greatly diminished.  Still working on my titration, but I already feel significantly better than ever before.

Keep us updated.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks a lot both. I am going to keep looking into it. It feels so weird that I may have to treat this myself but I'm prepared to do it if I have to.
Post Reply Post Reply
s7eve14, you are not on your own we are here to help post graphs ask questions be proactive in your own health
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Sad [Treatment] Struggling to treat UARS with BIPAP Humancyclone7 1 100 Yesterday, 03:47 PM
Last Post: SingleH
  BiPAP Pressure for Possible UARS bertchintus 20 995 Yesterday, 03:24 AM
Last Post: SingleH
  Therapy Help - Possible UARS - REM jkossis 8 178 03-27-2024, 02:09 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  New BiPAP user with UARS(?) tk2234 23 634 03-24-2024, 08:11 PM
Last Post: tk2234
  [Pressure] Bipap settings help? UARS and not sure what I'm doing Christina5818 6 205 03-23-2024, 02:52 PM
Last Post: Christina5818
  Catathrenia +/- UARS: Bilevel or ASV or other? empiricismandstatistics 0 83 03-21-2024, 04:37 AM
Last Post: empiricismandstatistics
  UARS diagnosis? No improvements on CPAP. What Bilevel machine to get and where? empiricismandstatistics 8 204 03-21-2024, 04:29 AM
Last Post: empiricismandstatistics

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.