Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Diagnosis] First sleep test AHI 61 Is this really bad?
RE: First sleep test AHI 61 Is this really bad?
Thanks!  I'm going to take this seriously and am looking forward to learning from the experienced folks on this board.  Already grateful to have found it and am already thankful for the support!
Post Reply Post Reply
Fred, 

Thanks so much for the support and the information on CPAP machines.  I plan to text the doctor writing the prescription with your recommendation. I agree that I need the data to determine how the therapy is going.

Are there any CPAP machines that are battery operated for camping?  Just curious.  

Cheers,

KC
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-05-2017, 07:54 PM)Spy Car Wrote: Welcome to the forum.

If there is a silver lining in your numbers it's that there is no *if* about whether you'll be approved for CPAP/APAP  Big Grin

I'd push for the "ResMed AutoSence 10 for Her" because it gives one the most options for treatment (especially as you found this place with many fine people who can help dial your machine in).  I'd ask the doctor to write this machine into his order.

Be sure not to get a "brick" (aka a machine without total efficacy data--not just compliance data--capability). This is important!

I doubt they will argue with you.

Bill

Bill,

Thanks, I never thought of it that way!  I''m going to do my best to make sure I don't end up with a "brick" My HMO might leave me little option though.  

Cheers,

KC

Thanks for that info.  I didn't have a benchmark and saw "severe" and did panic a bit.  Glad that I'm not "winning" this score card!  LOL
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-06-2017, 06:29 PM)dumbusername Wrote: Fred, 

Thanks so much for the support and the information on CPAP machines.  I plan to text the doctor writing the prescription with your recommendation. I agree that I need the data to determine how the therapy is going.

Are there any CPAP machines that are battery operated for camping?  Just curious.  

Cheers,

KC

Do a search in this forum under “camping”. There are ALOT of campers who post here with all kinds of info on using battery power. Camping’s no problem!
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-05-2017, 08:47 PM)Sleeprider Wrote:  Get one of the machines suggested by bonjour, preferably the Resmed Airsense 10 Autoset.

Maybe the “for Her” model?
Post Reply Post Reply
Great, thanks!!!
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you so very much for your post.  I haven't even thought about what all the equipment might cost me out of pocket.  I received an "Authorized" equipment list from my medical group. Was kind of shocked at how long the list was!  I don't think it lists which brand they have approved.  Have not heard from the "Referred to Provider, or the "Referred to Place of Service".  Should I be calling them?

The document form my medical group also listed under "Additional Notes"  Comments from patient/external provider: sleep student for severe OSA, in need of portable CPAP machine, ideally battery powered for travels in RV. Per student recommending" CPAP at 10 cm H2O with EPR of 0 cm H2O via a small Fisher and Paykel Eson mask with heated humidifier.

I've attached the list of items as a .pdf Does this look right to you?

Again, thank you soooo very much!!!  

KC
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-18-2017, 02:53 PM)dumbusername Wrote: Thank you so very much for your post.  I haven't even thought about what all the equipment might cost me out of pocket.  I received an "Authorized" equipment list from my medical group. Was kind of shocked at how long the list was!  I don't think it lists which brand they have approved.  Have not heard from the "Referred to Provider, or the "Referred to Place of Service".  Should I be calling them?

The document form my medical group also listed under "Additional Notes"  Comments from patient/external provider: sleep student for severe OSA, in need of portable CPAP machine, ideally battery powered for travels in RV. Per student recommending" CPAP at 10 cm H2O with EPR of 0 cm H2O via a small Fisher and Paykel Eson mask with heated humidifier.

I've attached the list of items as a .pdf Does this look right to you?

Again, thank you soooo very much!!!  

KC

I would dialogue with the DME (and get feedback here) about your options before getting any equipment.

One item I see on the list is an Eson mask. I know we have a few fans of this mask here (and don't wish to offend their choice), but I hated this mask.  It is very clunky compared with many other nasal masks and includes a bar that runs from the cushion up to the forehead with a forehead strap in addition to the head straps. While very "secure" it is nearly impossible to wear glasses due to the nose piece and it is a lot of mask.

Bill
Post Reply Post Reply
KC it will be up to you to choose a DME and get the equipment you prefer. Most CPAP and Auto CPAP units can be operated on battery power, however the travel units and optional batteries are quite expensive, and your insurance will not pay for the batteries. Many of us simply turn off the humidifier and heated hose to operate with a battery. Several good Li-ion battery options are available, and these have been applied to mainstream machines like the Philips Dreamstation Auto or Resmed Airsense 10 Autoset. Also, two new travel machines have been released recently, the Dreamsation Go and Resmed Air Mini. Both are available in fixed CPAP or Auto CPAP. These travel machines are very compact and do not incorporate a humidifier, but may use in-line heat moisture exchanges (HME). The machines work fine, but lack the comfort of the non-travel versions and tend to be a bit noisier and have short narrow tubing and may use special masks. These inconveniences are not worth dealing with unless you travel and camp all the time and ounces really count.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-05-2017, 06:36 PM)dumbusername Wrote: The doctor then said she would put in an order for a CPAP machine and I will have to wait to hear from my insurance company to see if it will be approved.  If approved the CPAP "people" will come to my house and set the machine up.  I said, "thank you" and the appointment was over.

It would be better if you do your own shopping. Call the doctor's office and ask for a copy of the prescription because you will need that to buy the machine, just as if you were buying a prescribed drug. Call your insurance company or go to their web site and get a list of their approved DME (durable medical equipment) providers and also home health providers. Call those people and ask for pricing. These companies are notorious for dragging their feet, and once they know you're savvy enough to shop their competitors they get on the stick.

Your AHI is high, but I know someone that has an AHI that's twice as high. Treatment is necessary for your long term health, but in the short term it's not an emergency. Do you remember tolerating the CPAP machine well when you were in the hospital? How about during your sleep study?
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What's the best home sleep test currently on the market? Lucky7 4 124 6 hours ago
Last Post: OpalRose
  [Treatment] Request for Sleep Data review compared to Sleep Study thesingingchef 2 165 03-14-2024, 05:14 PM
Last Post: thesingingchef
  Need help interpeing Lofta test results. LoftaUser 0 134 03-07-2024, 01:10 PM
Last Post: LoftaUser
  Self-administered sleep test? BlueSky1958 6 214 02-29-2024, 03:29 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  adding sleep report (Wondering whether changing sleep position can "cure" apnea) NewlyDiagnosed 1 208 02-26-2024, 10:19 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  Doubts about my diagnosis? (Test results + First night with CPAP) IAXEM 14 883 02-26-2024, 03:46 PM
Last Post: IAXEM
  Home Sleep apnea test xaid 5 869 02-21-2024, 09:28 PM
Last Post: BDayton

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.